Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have about 17,000 on my blue '03 MO SL front wheel drive. It's a great fun vehicle. But, I've noticed several times in the last month when I start it in the garage, where there are no outside noises to interfer, engine cold, I hear a brief grinding noise just as the engine starts. Not like a starter motor noise, more like shifting a standard transmission with a bad syncro. Doesn't matter if the A/C is off or on. What in the world could that be. Thanks

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
Where are you? how cold is it?

·
5,100 Posts
I wouldn't think that could cause a problem. hmmmmmmmmmmmm :(

·
5,268 Posts
I agree with Don. It's been 20's here in GA and no grinding noises during MO startups.....

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Hmmm that is certainly not cold enough to cause a problem. Did you check your oil level?

Maximas had a bad batch of starters a few years ago, the symptom was a high pitched "whoooo" when the engine was started due to the starter not disengaging even after the engine turned over.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Its the rattles moving out of the interior to the exterior of your MO... run run run run run!!!!!!

·
5,100 Posts
:2:

·
Registered
142 Posts
i hear a series of clicks right after i turn the key in the ignition starting the engine. about 10-15 of them for about a second.

maybe that's what you hear as well?

·
5,100 Posts
UH-Oh is that the solenoid not pulling in all the way?

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
andy said:
i hear a series of clicks right after i turn the key in the ignition starting the engine. about 10-15 of them for about a second.

maybe that's what you hear as well?

Do you hear the noise as before the engine cranks, while the starter is cranking, or after it has started? If you turn the key to ON but not to start, you will hear a quiet "pressure" noise, that's the fuel rail being primed for starting.

When you turn off the car, if you listen carefully you will hear the fuel injectors a bit, they make a "robotic" mechanical noise for a second or two after the engine shuts off (I think its kind of neat).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same issue. It is hard to pinpoint because it only happens occasionally. The more I try to listen for it, the less frequently it occurs. When it does occur the temperature outside is usually colder (here that is 40 or 50°F). It usually only happens the first time I start the car in the morning. The noise is a grinding sound that lasts for a second or less just after I take my hand off of the key when the car is started. From the outside of the car, my wife said it sounded like a clunk. It definitely sounds like a grinding from inside. At first I thought it might be the ABS initializing but now I think it is more engine related. Any ideas what it could be? I have not addressed this with my dealer yet. I am fairly confident that he will not be able to reproduce it since it is so intermittent.
Thanks

·
Registered
175 Posts
Starter gear sticking or hanging up occasionally?

I get the clicking when the key is turned, I've always thought it was the fuel pump pressuring the system. Never heard the injectors when shutting the engine off though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
i think i might be having a similar noise. its happens almost right after the engine starts. to me, it sounds like one of the cooling fans is starting up and scraping a little. i've noticed it a couple times, but it's not worrying me enough to bring it in to service.

·
5,100 Posts
Wonder if the variable stiffness engine mounts effect this by allowing the engine to rock more and somethng hits the fans or other item?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've got the same noise...I think its normal. It olny happens after a cold start after its been sitting all night. To me its more of a clatter. Sounds like the injector rails presurizing.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
mobius, I also have the Altima that shares the same 3.5 engine.
On few and I mean very few, like 4 or 5 times in three years, I have had a noise. To me it sounded like there was no oil in the car.
A quick hammering/ratcheting sound like no oil on lifters. It lasts about 2-3 seconds.
I asked the dealer and they said they had no complaints about it.
It was always after an extended sit and they speculated the oil may not have been in the top of the engine yet. Like I said 4 or 5 times in 3 years. Don't think it is a problem but lets keep the thread alive if anyone figures it out. This never happened on the MO just the Altima....hmmm.
Bob1

·
5,100 Posts
Sounds like a lifter leaks down and so the valve doesn't lift properly until it "Pumps Up" again.

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Don, I agree. I also think its lifter noise. Not a big deal actually, since my Maxima would make that noise occasionally too (if I haven't driven it in a week). It happened more frequently with conventional motor oil, although it still happens once in a blue moon after I've switched to Mobil One 5w30 (on the Maxima). Haven't heard the noise on the Murano but wouldn't be surprised if I did.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well there sure is a lot of people with this issue. Maybe some of you never really payed attention to the sound. Its most pronounced when started in the garage. I'm curious to see how many folks have noticed this. If we've all noticed it at one point or another I would be willing to dismiss it as normal.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts