Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

It's been quite sometime since I've been around here since then Murano has been sitting for the last few years, with a company truck now. I'm getting everything back together and the alternator/battery have been giving me issues. I replaced them both about 2 years ago and now I just replaced both again because the battery/brake light were on, thinking the alternator went again. However my battery and brake light are still both on. Both the battery and alternator test out fine.

For good measure, I replaced the positive connector as well as the fusible link cheap enough. I started looking at the grounds and noticed, aside from a rusty bracket, there is a cable under the battery that is snapped.

Does anyone know what that blueish flat strap is called so I can get a new one? You'll see the screw on the body with a little bit of it frayed and connected still.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
189 Posts
A bit of a long shot. Have you check the brake fluid level? If it gets too close to the low mark in the brake reservoir, it can trigger the brake dash light on.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Realized I never followed up to this thread. Some multi meter diagnostics kept pointing me to the alternator. The brand new one I installed was apparently faulty. Replaced with a new one and haven't had a single issue since. (Gotta love Advance Auto Parts)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yep, I had a brand new alternator from Advance Auto that would get extremely hot as soon as you fired the engine up and make a noise. Took it back and got another one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
HI,

Reviving an old thread because I'd have the exact same question as the DS (OP)**

But I can add a sub question or two (because the same wire, on my 230K km 05 MO, has completely vanished, since I have no idea... could be more than a year? anyways...)

• What would be the OEM Part # for that flat body ground wire (From connector/bracket on CVT to the frame on the passenger side, just below the battery support.
  • Can we replace that wire with any other type of strong gaged wire?
(the ground wire is flat braided/strap-like, and has a plastic connector on the transmission side, and a metal "O" ring connector on frame side. I'll try to upload a photo..., but if you look at this Youtube video, it's the wire in question @ 1:50 mins )

I Probably got my alternator blewed away when I tried to clean the battery connectors, and the positive cable touched the tool I was using for cleaning (I did not unplugged the negative ground cable... so my bad... wanted to do it too fast... that's when accidents happen! :-( )

**Discussion Starter (Original Poster)

·
Registered
696 Posts
That's the engine ground strap. Really should be there. You can replace it with any heavy gauge wire (12 - 14), that has good solid connectors on the ends.

Never pays to rush. Just ends up costing you more money and time in the long run.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
7 Posts
That's the engine ground strap. Really should be there. You can replace it with any heavy gauge wire (12 - 14), that has good solid connectors on the ends.

Never pays to rush. Just ends up costing you more money and time in the long run.

Have a good day.
Thanks for your answer... I finally figured that this ground strap wasn't really available as a OEM part, but saw many other similar ones on the web. But anyways, like you said, I'll send my car to my mecanic guy who normally does a great job , since I do not really have more time Nor the heated place to do it myself...
But I'll let him know to replace that ground wire (i may be one of the culprit for previous SES alarms I got).

Thanks again !

1 - 8 of 8 Posts