Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i remember looking threw some topic and someone posted a picture of the engine bay with a GROUND WIRE KIT it was orange in color, he got it off ebay?

well i bought one just last week from ebay! And would like to know how you have installed yours?

When i saw yours installed i thought it looked nice and cool to have that! Also asked my local dealer friend if it really makes a difference as it stated in the EBAY decription and said he was not sure but to try, so i would like to try it out...

mine did not come with a installation guide or anything..

so if you would please let me know how you did it and maybe post some pictures of how it was done or post the picture you have posted again!

i cannot find that thread:mad: :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that was the one!!! thank you very much!

i can probably figure out how or where he ran the wires to...

i will post some pictures of the installation today when and if i get it completed..

thanx again

JIMBO

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
jimbo-

I hate to burst your bubble, but the grounding octopus is not going to affect engine performance in any measurable way. It may make the engine bay look more high tech, but it will not affect engine performance.

-njjoe

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
njjoe said:
jimbo-

I hate to burst your bubble, but the grounding octopus is not going to affect engine performance in any measurable way. It may make the engine bay look more high tech, but it will not affect engine performance.

-njjoe
Yup, as far as HP your right, but it did make it noticeably smoother at higher rpms on the Z. The engine blocks, manifolds etc being nearly all aluminum do not supress electrical noise as well, particularly from ignition and injector components. A heavy gage copper ground kit can reduce this noise allowing the sensors to report more accurately to the ECM and thereby control the engine better. And I guess I should mention that alternators are probably the worst contributors to noise and in some vehicles this is a big issue. For example a coworker has a dodge ram cummins that would intermittently drop out of overdrive. Turned out to be a known problem and a company in canada makes a filter kit to correct the problem. He installed it last week and voila problem fixed. I have heard other strange EMI problems on vehicles. But to date, I haven't heard the alternator causing EMI issues on the MO.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your right it does NOT improve any performance at all.... just finish installing it. took it down the interstate just the flow of traffic to some how maybe break it in and after about 10 to 15 minutes then i went a little faster form a dead stop and take off...

nothing at all did i notice...

it does give a nice effect to my murano:D wifey said WOW thats nice!!!

i realized i cant even post any pictures:mad: i forgot i dont a have a digi cam:D but i will get one soon so in the near future i can post pictures of MODS i have done!
i like the looks of it with my matching blue oil cap...

thank you for the picture again it helped me out of an idea where wires were put.

thanx again!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Enforcer said:

but it did make it noticeably smoother at higher rpms on the Z.

allowing the sensors to report more accurately to the ECM and thereby control the engine better
:) Any increased 'smoothness' should translate into something measurable, no? I mean, what's 'rough' to begin with? Is the ECU pulling timing because electrical noise is interfering with the knock sensor? Is it adding fuel to the mixture because noise is interfering with the MAF/MAP sensor or the engine temp sensor?

To put it another way, if having a few pounds of copper wire all over your engine bay was truly having an effect on the ECU's ability to manage the timing or fuel more effectively, then you WOULD see a difference (however small) on a dyno. This has been proven time and again to be false on a number of different cars; no reproducible difference in hp at any RPM with grounding wires. Why don't we see grounding kits on dragsters, F1 or NASCAR?

The linked thread below was long, and sometimes hijacked. However, the post at the top of this page by Modifry is a good read as is the one near the bottom by asu_lee:
http://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=202693&st=175

·
5,244 Posts
I really did not want to pos there. But……

1. grounding is extremely important for any electrical systems, even , more important when dealing with low level signals in a noisy environment.
2. equalizing potentials across number of elements is important too as it prevents loop currents affecting useful signals.
3. a car is a large amount of various metals connected together by various means – welding, bolting, screwing. It is extremely important that all joints are clean and of low resistance. Especially the connection between battery and car chassis and engine and chassis are important.
4. Given everything above works as designed, grounding kits/cables are an urban legend.
5. They might, just might have worked in good old days and on old cars, with long HV cables, single coils, corroded connections.
6. I do not see any need and benefits from grounding harnesses available on the market now. It is like buying expensive gold plated cables for your speaker system……..

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
I have found that

Additional grounding was somewhat helpful in blocking Alternator whine when I installed the Add on Bass amp for the 05 Mod Mo. After the sound deading it was very nice to eliminate it as it was then anoying. This was the only time I have found adding grounds to be of value. On my Phaeton which has a water cooled alternator the fileter system is a block about 2 X 3 by 4 inches on a side. WoW that must be a real whiner! :eek:

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Halo said:

:) Any increased 'smoothness' should translate into something measurable, no?

Why don't we see grounding kits on dragsters, F1 or NASCAR?

Like I said no HP increase but is smoother, not at a constant power but on acceleration and shifting. There have been several people that have done this to the Z and said the same thing. Some have said they feel nothing. So it is all subjective and I'm not worried enough about it to devise a test for it, I'm very satisfied I built my own and it resulted in a smoother engine else I would have taken it off. Note, you don't have to buy one, you can make your own very cheap with quality components to test and see if it makes a difference, see link above.

Maybe because they design it right to begin with?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I put a grounding kit on my 06 Maxima and I saw no noticeable HP gain as they claimed. It is more of a cosmetic thing in my opinion but I would like a kit to dress up the engine bay.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts