Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I know, I know, pull over
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of installing a "little" bump in the trunk of the Murano, and I was just wondering if there are any magic spots to ground things out to? I have to ground two 4-gauge wires somewhere in the rear/trunk area - anyone who has done this before, post pics, please. Did you ground out to a bolt, or drill a hole in the floor and ground it there? Thanks!

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
I can't easily post a pic, since I would have to disconnect my amp to remove my box to open the spare tire area, but I know where mine is grounded.

It's grounded to a large bolt in the front part of the spare tire area. I believe there is one on either side, but I grounded on the driver's side, since that's the side I ran my power wire down.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
jace said:
I am in the process of installing a "little" bump in the trunk of the Murano, and I was just wondering if there are any magic spots to ground things out to? I have to ground two 4-gauge wires somewhere in the rear/trunk area - anyone who has done this before, post pics, please. Did you ground out to a bolt, or drill a hole in the floor and ground it there? Thanks!

No time for pics right now BUT their is a grounding point in the middle of the stowage area in FRON of the spare it has two wires to it stock, File the area to have better contact and this is where I have grouned my supplemental amp, If filed it's great.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Yes, you definately need a non-painted surface, I sanded mine too.

·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nah, i'll definately sand down to bare metal with my trusty dremel... i just didn't know if there were any conveniently located holes/bolts I could use.

Thanks, guys.
I'll look for the bolt in front of the spare tire area.
I'll actually need 2 grounding points - one for my cap(s) and one for the sub (it's an MTX1501d, btw:D).
I'm going to disconnect and remove the Bose sub anyway.

Here's another question - does the Bose sub run off of it's own channel on the amp? I'm hoping that by just unplugging the Bose sub, it takes some strain off the Bose amp...

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Yes the Bose sub runs off the same amp as the rest of the speakers, and yes unplugging it will help the other speakers sound better.

You aren't going to ground your sub to the electrical system are you? You need to put both of your speaker wires into your amp output, not the electrical system.

Also, if you meant somewhere to ground your sub amp, I would suggest that you ground to the same place you ground your cap(s). This will prevent ground loops. It is generally agreed upon in the car audio sector that the best practice is to use a single ground point.

I would also like to mention that caps are pretty pointless unless you have upgraded everything else first, and are looking to spend more money. I have a system that can suck about 1000W, but I don't have a cap, and unless I bump at full volume for extended periods while at idle, I have no power problems whatsoever. If you want to know more about what I mean by everything else, let me know.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Yes the Bose sub runs off the same amp as the rest of the speakers, and yes unplugging it will help the other speakers sound better.

You aren't going to ground your sub to the electrical system are you? You need to put both of your speaker wires into your amp output, not the electrical system.

Also, if you meant somewhere to ground your sub amp, I would suggest that you ground to the same place you ground your cap(s). This will prevent ground loops. It is generally agreed upon in the car audio sector that the best practice is to use a single ground point.

·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've upgraded my battery to an Optima already, and run a 4-gauge ground wire from the battery to the frame. I need to figure out how to up the wire from the + battery post to the alternator, but I'm not sure about the funky looking connectors on the + battery terminal post. I also need to get my alternator replaced by the recall.

I was never a fan of caps either, but I got a killer deal on the amp/caps combo, so I might as well hook them up since I have them. I think one is a 1.5 farad and the other is a 1 farad.

I'm still building the box.
Here's what I have so far...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts