Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having lived in Michigan for the past several years, I find myself feeling guilt over selecting the Murano as my next car. A lot of my friends were employed in the auto industry. I read in the newspapers how the "big three" are continually losing market share to Japan.

Unfortunately, no U.S. manufacturer makes a car such as the MO: attractively styled, powerful motor, smooth/quiet, reasonable price, good performance and size.

I believe in supporting my country, and I feel sad not to buy an American car.

Nevertheless, I will probably buy the MO when my current lease expires. (which, incidentally, is an un-American Acura TL)

·
Registered
741 Posts
They now do build very good and not too expensive cars. Look at the Cadillac line...

·
Registered
741 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
DocCat - your guilt is misplaced, in my opinion. The North American auto makers ...do you think they feel guilty for not offering a product comparable to the MO.....probably not....

·
4,601 Posts
How about your TV, DVD player, VCR, Surround sound system, PC, etc...

I feel bad for the industry as well, but I still don't feel it gives them the right to provide a lesser product for my hard earned cash.

The good side is lost sales is making them try harder. While there's still lots of junk, some of the product is getting very good. And there's hope in that!

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
MOST american cars have equal or better IQ, IMHO.

I like my Murano, but I won't lie about it.

5 flaws and 3 trips to the dealer and I am still waiting for my Alternator to go, and I know that while they will fix the "Pwr Steering drop out" for 05, they won't fix mine.

I think that the US cars are competitive. But they will have to stay that way for awhile to overcome past sins.

Homer

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
There is a diiference between

Having lived in Michigan for the past several years, I find myself feeling guilt over selecting the Murano as my next car. A lot of my friends were employed in the auto industry. I read in the newspapers how the "big three" are continually losing market share to Japan.
Just wanna add someting here:
There is a big diference between chauvinism and patriotism.
You value your country and willing to protect its value (in this case freedom and equal rights for Americans ). But loving the country too much and becoming a fanatic in all the domestics products regradless of the quality is a bit too much.
I agree with Jaak, I will spend my hard earn cash on something that will provide best value for the bucks.

Japanese kamikaze pilot loves their country so much during ww2, they were willing to crash themselves to us navy carriers when their emperor just say so. That is chauvinism.

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
I agree with Jaak and SugarRush - if I am going to buy something, I will try to get the best product for my money. In a free market economy, competition is what drives product innovation. As there is no domestic vehicle which can compete with the Murano, the choice was easy for me.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Isn't it truely hard to say these days if any vehicle is of any particular country? Aren't parts built in different parts of the world? Do they still have the sticker on new cars that show how much of the parts actually come from the US?

·
5,244 Posts
Interesting discussion………I wanted to buy an American car, however, after last experience with Ford, and hearing horror stories from GM cars owners………..I still wanted an American car. So off I went to different dealers………could not find what I wanted……..ended up with Murano. And added FX six months later. I like the design, handling, performance etc. And no, I do not feel guilt now. Look around – big corporation do not feel guilty when off-shoring American jobs. As long as they can increase the profit.

I work for a global company. They employ 440,000 people worldwide (150 countries) and approx. 80,000 in US alone. I do not think we can say anymore “American Made”. Unless it is a farm product or small family business. Everything got “globalized”. And as previous posters mentioned, components are made in different parts of country, world and are assembled somewhere else. If you buy a Honda or a Toyota (both made in the US), does it mean you are buying Japanese product? Or made in Japan? I do not think so. So let’s get what we need or like………….in the end these are our hard earned monies……..

·
Registered
781 Posts
I had the same arguement with myself. My father was/is a GM mechanic for my entire life. Every vehicle in my family has been American made - all GM. The first SUV we drove was the GMC Envoy. Why? Because it felt right. I felt an obligation to my perception of what is right. Look what message board I am posting on?

IF this is getting the best of you. I can't speak hard numbers - but it seems as though most American cars are built in Canada or Mexico. Now, are we talking American cars - or North American cars? How many Japanses manufacturers have assembly plants in the US? Toyota. Nissan. Who is employing more American auto workers - a Japanese plant here or an American plant in Mexico?

Where is the dealership located? I'd say this not only supports the American economy but also the local economy.

The Murano, in my eyes and many others here, feel the Murano is far superior to any thing in it's class - foriegn or domestic. I felt like a sellout when I had to explain why I wasn't interested in the great deal my dad's dealership buddy gave me. He saw why I liked it better after I let him drive it :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
I met someone who worked for Delphi (automotive industry) and is familiar with automotive business processes in the US and overseas. He believes that the US auto worker unions are too inflexible to match the newer generations of efficiency in use overseas. They are a few steps ahead of us and he thinks the auto unions are preventing us from catching up. Something to think about.

·
the rally racing nut
83 Posts
If Toyota can race in Nascar, why should you feel guilt for buying foreign? I don't think there is a more mainstream "american racing series" on the planet. As was said before, a free market system is what seperates America from many other countries. Enjoy it!

·
Registered
781 Posts
Yeah - but it still pisses off the die-hard NASCAR fans. Plus, they are only doing the truck series.

Personally, I'd rather watch the trucks - but who am I to say.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My last car was a Chrysler PT Cruiser. American car, right? No, it was built in Mexico by a German-controlled company. I also once owned a Dodge Colt. American car? No, built by Mitsubishi in Japan.

Many Nissans, Toyotas, Hondas, etc. *are* American cars now -- at least, they're built here (the Murano isn't, though). You get into a slippery slope in a hurry in the modern economy when you start talking about traditional 'American' cars, which might be built in Canada or Mexico from parts supplied by a half-dozen countries.

Is a Saab a 'foreign' car? What about a Jaguar? Those companies are owned by GM and Ford, respectively. That slope keeps getting slipperier...

·
5,244 Posts
Frobozz said:
My last car was a Chrysler PT Cruiser. American car, right? No, it was built in Mexico by a German-controlled company. I also once owned a Dodge Colt. American car? No, built by Mitsubishi in Japan.

Many Nissans, Toyotas, Hondas, etc. *are* American cars now -- at least, they're built here (the Murano isn't, though). You get into a slippery slope in a hurry in the modern economy when you start talking about traditional 'American' cars, which might be built in Canada or Mexico from parts supplied by a half-dozen countries.

Is a Saab a 'foreign' car? What about a Jaguar? Those companies are owned by GM and Ford, respectively. That slope keeps getting slipperier...

Before FX my wife had a Sebring............Chrysler? I doubt it. The plate under the hood said: Made by Mitsubishi!!

You are right the slope is getting very slippery...........

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
I guess one way of saying "American Car" is to say "Built in Detroit". Are there any cars built in Detroit from start to finish by American workers anymore?

·
5,244 Posts
zebelkhan said:
I guess one way of saying "American Car" is to say "Built in Detroit". Are there any cars built in Detroit from start to finish by American workers anymore?

I seriously doubt it....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
who gets the money

Sure many foregin car manufacturers are now owned by American companies. Saab is GM, Volvo and Jaguar are Ford, etc...

But the point of my post is that regardless of where the car was assembled (the vast majority of Honda and Toyota products, Subaru, Nissan are built in the U.S.) the profit goes to foreign companies. eg. although the Subaru was built in Lafayette Indiana, the profit goes to Fuji Heavy Industries in Japan.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.