Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed a hands-free cell phone? Where did you install it in the car? Any pictures?

Thanks,
Andy

·
4,664 Posts
Yes... Very accessable, never in the way, but I had to bend my own bracket. It's not hard to do, really. A bit of sheet metal, some tin snips, patience and a trip to the Murano Monster Garage...

Attachments

·
Registered
275 Posts
Mine is in the same place, but lower, as not to completely obstruct the AC vent, as I live in Arizona and the vents are VERY important to me! It was on the Passenger side, but I find it more convenant on "my" side.

I want to hook the "mute" output wire ont he hands free kit to the radio, but don't know where. It would be nice if it automatically muted when calls came in.

Any ideas?

·
4,664 Posts
Well it can get to 100 degrees and humid in Toronto, yet it's still not a problem, as while it's in front, it's not directly blocking it. It's far enough away that it really doesn't impact it much.

I'll take the dry heat anyday!!

As far as a mute, that would make sense, but I haven't found one yet on the bose.... It would be possible to wire up something between the head unit and the amp.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I was looking when I get back out to to my Mo. I have a clamshell phone, and when it is open it does obstruct the vent, but the airflow dosent feel diffrent. I must have a pretty aerodynamic phone. hehe

I notice the Mute button on my radio, and I see the ghost image of phone functions on the right top of my display screen. I was hoping for a "mute input" lead on the back of the radio...

·
Registered
255 Posts
The only theory that I currently have on Muting the radio on the phone, and using the Murano's Speakers for the phone too, is to use the Nav voice guidance inputs on the radio. I have a Nav so this may not be an option for me, but it sounds like you don't have it so here is a guess by me on how it would work. The Voice inputs on the back of the radio has a + and - input (Look at Jaak's sights for the details). You could hook the speaker outs of your hands free kit to these lines and test it out. On a Nav equipped MO the when the voice is activated the stereo cuts down to barely hearable and the voice comes in on the radio. I don't know if it will work, but it could if the radio is set up like the Nav equiped MO's, which I believe it is. I think that as soon as these inputs go active the radio does the reduction and sends the sound directly to the speakers.

There are Phone inputs on the back of the radio, but Jaak has verified that the internal parts necessary for it to operated are missing on the non-Nav equiped MO's. I plan to see if they are connected on the Nav equiped ones when it warms up some (Too cold to work now). I don't want to tie into the nav voice on mine since I am worried I could screw up my nav.

Perform this at your own risk. I can not guarantee that it will work, or that it won't harm the vehicle.

·
4,664 Posts
I expect the non-Nav and Nav versions are identical, as it wouldn't make sense to build two different versions for the Murano. Although they did build two different harnesses.... So I could be wrong.:D

·
Registered
255 Posts
Well for you non-Nav owners, looks like someone with the G35 has proved that you can use the Nav voice inputs for you mobile phone and it will mute the radio and play audio through the front speakers.

G35 Hands free

While the pin numbers differ, it does seem that the NAV + - are in the same spot on the connectors. Major difference is that Pin 24 on the G35 is the Mute, but on the Murano pin 28 (same position) it didn't show up as being connected.

The Murano shouldn't be too different.

·
4,664 Posts
Cool, I'll have to look at this, when it's not -400 degrees outside.

·
4,664 Posts
At first glance, it appears there is no connection on that pin.

I may have to rip out the radio again to confirm, as the pictures I have of the circuit board, don't show any connection, but it could be hidden under the connector.

The G35 may have a slightly different board, but that makes no sense for keeping production costs down....

Neither the 2003 or 2004 Service Manuals show this pin or another pin for muting the audio, but the G35 does show a pin. It's quite possible that it's implemented differently, or has just been omitted on the Murano...:confused:

·
Registered
255 Posts
I doubt that you need to mute the radio if using the Nav connections. The Nav does not have a pin to mute the radio. I think what happens is when the Nav + - pins go active, the radio auto mutes and plays what is on the + - to the front speakers.

After looking over the boards from when you took the radio apart, it looks like if the radio had all of the Tel parts to work, it would work in a similar fashion. What I think would happen if it had all of the parts, when the Tel On pin goes high, it switches from the Nav + -, to the Tel + - and would play them through the front speakers just like the Nav. I traced stuff on the boards out and this is my best guess as to how it would work. It looks like both the Nav and Tel inputs (if it had the caps in place) go to the white box at the bottom of the board which I have a theory is some sort of switch/relay mechanism.

I plan to pull my radio out sometime to see if Nissan made the Tel pins work on the Nav equipped Muranos. It is possible that the non Nav Nissan cars were ment to use the Nav Inputs for phone since they will never hav Nav and to save money since most cars don't have Nav, and they put in the complete boards (hope so for $2000) in the Nav equipped cars to use both. This is what I am hoping for at least. I too have to wait for the temp to warm up since days above freezing have been very rare lately.

·
4,664 Posts
Sigh... My biggest problem with all this, is not having the time to look at it in more detail.

I keep hoping that one day, I'll wire up my Logic Analyser to the entire radio's connections, which will allow me to see what the whole thing is doing all at once. Then it would be interesting to stimulate certain inputs.

But that takes time I don't have right now.:mad:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Im getting a HFK installed next week

Im getting my samsung 1700 HFK hooked up via verizon next week..I chalanged them to hook it up so it will mute when my phone rings and un mute when the call is ended..the tech seemed confident he could do it..Install is scheduled for next thursday..Ill repost to what happened

PS anyone know of a place to get clear tail light lenses for the murano...I think a clear tail light would look hot

·
4,664 Posts
It's actually fairly easy to do, if you use brute force and have the Bose. You just interrupt the audio circuit to the Power Amp and put in the cell phone's audio.

Tell him you want to hear the navigation commands at the same time, to make his life hell.

·
Registered
16 Posts
HFK INSTALL

Well Verizon refused to splice into anything on the back of the HU.Calimed it would voide the warranty and they dont want to be responsible...they said they would do it if there was a drop down cable.I asked to just hook up the mute....my Question is, is there a harness out there that will fit the murano that has drop down leads...If not...The mute button is a push away cause Im too lazy to rip my radio out and do it myself...

·
4,664 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
MMMM...STILL NOT SAVY ENOUGH FOR THAT.IM JUST GONNA WAIT TILL YOU DEVELOPE YOUR ADAPTER AND WHEN I HAVE IT INSTALLED ILL HAVE THEM HOOK UP MY MUTE CAPABILITIES....SO HURRY WITH THAT ADAPTER ......HEHEHEHE...JUST KIDDING.I HAVE A REAL JOB TOO

·
4,664 Posts
Yeah at this rate it'll be another year... Just kidding!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts