Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw these on ebay the other day and thought for $25 bucks it be worth a try.

Ebay invisible bra

It seems like the price is too good to be true. Seeing how other ones I have seen cost 5 times as much. Maybe the other guys just like to mark the price way up. Thoughts?

Pacmo

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
I had seen this before but had always wondered if the one they were selling was thick enough. If it is then it is certainly worth $25 + $15 shipping. Will you post when you get the stuff?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't decided weather or not I am going to get them yet, but if I do I will let ya'll know how they work out. Has anyone else had any expierence with these?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Seems pretty cheap. I wonder how many mils thick the film is? Depending on where you live, thicker mil film may be suggested. If you live in the North-East (where there's a lot of snow salt, debris, etc.) then definitely the thicker film. Same with the SouthWest... lots of sand (esp. in the high desert.)

I had clearbra on my 2003 Mach 1, 2003 Mustang Cobra and 2005 Lotus Elise. It's worth its weight in gold IMHO. My current MO is used and doesn't have any clearbra material and I already see stone chips. Had I bought the MO new, I would have had it installed.

For an example of clear bra material, look at your rear doors, in front of the lower wheel arch. There's a piece of clearbra material there.

Bob

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
Caveat Emptor - Buyer Beware.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
njjoe said:
Caveat Emptor - Buyer Beware.
Yea, I know. But what could it hurt. It is very little money and it is not permanant! I think I will write them an email asking how thick the film is.

Pacmo

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
FYI, my Ultrashield is 8mil thick except for the Headlight covers which are 14mil.

After 29 months I have NO paint chips or scratches.
There are a few very minor cuts in the shield that are not visible 3 feet away, but you can feel them when washing/polishing.

The Ultrashield was very expensive (<>$500) but worth it to me.
Mine covers all the front area including above and below the grill, the front of the fenders, the back of the mirrors, the headlights and the rear bumper guard.
Installing this stuff is NOT easy.
You can read about it here.
http://www.ultrashieldusa.com/

Homer

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I actually bought this thing and never put it on my Mo. The protector is for the bumper only, it does not include the hood (read carefully, I didn't). It's not as thick as some of the well know expensive ones, but for the price its not bad.

Overall, if you want to provide some kind of protection to your bumper and lights then purchase. Otherwise don't waste your money.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
pacmo-

You're right. For $25 it is an inexpensive gamble.

-njjoe

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I mean - bumper and mirrors. The bumper is two pieces - split in the middle.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
If anyone is interested, I will sell them mine for $19.99 shipped. It is brand new and is the same as advertised above. My car already has too many chips to make a difference.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok so I got a reply to my email to the seller here it is:

Hello,

Our product is not the 3m product, its the generic version of it. Manufactorered by PCB Inc. It is approx. 3mil's in thickness, and is a lot cheaper than the 3m version. Our product definitly does the job on protecting your paint protection, but if you are to pay the few hunderd dollars extra for the 3m product you are getting only a few more mils in thickness.
If you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to contact us at anytime.

Thank you,

Nicole Collier
Xtremecity

So at 3mil's pretty thin compared to Ultrashield. but $500 is a lot of cash for me right now. I am currently working on upgrading the stereo right now and that is looking like $700 and my garage door opener died last weekend that was another $350 and oh yea I just bought a really sweet $30K car/truck cruck??? :D

Anyways I think I still might give it a try and see how it goes. 3mil's is better than 0mil's right. I looked around a little more on the sellers site and it looks like he has a complete kit that includes hood, bumper, front fenders and mirrors for $25 + $15. So $40 I'm gonna see if I can't get them to throw in the headlight kit! I will let you know how it works out.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
I noticed the ad says if you use "buy it now" then you get the complete kit for $25 + shipping.

3 mil is very thin, but given the price it should be worth it. The only bad part is the installation as I hear it is murder.....:eek:

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
pacmo said:
Ok so I got a reply to my email to the seller here it is:

Hello,

Our product is not the 3m product, its the generic version of it. Manufactorered by PCB Inc. It is approx. 3mil's in thickness, and is a lot cheaper than the 3m version. Our product definitly does the job on protecting your paint protection, but if you are to pay the few hunderd dollars extra for the 3m product you are getting only a few more mils in thickness.
If you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to contact us at anytime.

Thank you,

Nicole Collier
Xtremecity
I just love the guys response. He states his product is 3mils thick. He then goes on to say the more expensive, better-quality product made from 3M material gives you only a few more mils. Okay, let's assume a few means 3. That's twice as thick as his product! It doesn't sound as good when you put it that way.

-njjoe

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I guess I'm going to tape some ziplock bags to my front bumper for the added protection.

The product I have seems thinker than a ziplock - it must be because its backed onto 5mil paper. :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
zebelkhan said:
Standard Zip Lock bag is 2 m thick
Heavy duty zip lock bag is 4 m thick.

Zip Lock specs
Interesting but yet still confussing!

If you look at the 2mil bag and click on the link to "How thick is 2mils" it takes you to a faq that states:

How thick is 2 Mil.
2 Mil. = 50.8 Microns = .0508 Millimeters = 1/1000 inch. The standard household Ziploc® sandwich bag is 1.5 Mil. The heavier freezer bags sold in stores are generally 1.75 Mil.
2 Mil. is the standard industrial strength thickness.

So now they say standard ziploc of 1.5 and freezer bags are 1.75. So I think these guys are selling more heavy duty bags then normal ziploc? But it does give a good frame of reference.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
pacmo said:
...But it does give a good frame of reference.
That was the idea. Most people don't know what a micron is but have seen and touched a ziplock bag.....:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts