Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am smelling it almost all of the time now after driving for moderate periods. It is even coming through at stop signs. It is worst when parking. But I can see of no leaking fluids. Have had mechanic check it and says just that I have so many miles that it could be just oil burning. But I do not have to fill oil between changes.
Any help?
I now have over 120+ miles. Would be more but I bought Jetta TDI awhile back for a little better gas mileage.
25,000 miles since CVT tranny replaced.
Thanks in advance.
Randy

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Transfer case leaking?

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
ivnurse-

If the engine was burning oil in the combustion chamber you would not be smelling it while underway.

My thoughts would be oil leaking onto a hot part, such as the exhaust manifolds or exhaust pipe, is causing the smell. Check for oil seepage from the engine, CVT and X-fer case (if you have AWD). On the engine check the valve covers and the front (actually passenger-side) of the engine for tell-tale signs of a leak.

I also recommending taking it to another mechanic for a more thorough evaluation.

-njjoe

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
ivnurse said:
25,000 miles since CVT tranny replaced.
Thanks in advance.
Randy
When did you have the CVT replaced? At 95,000 Miles? I take it you had some sort of extended warranty?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gonzo
No warranty. I paid for the new CVT and it cost me about $6000.00
I have checked for leaks and none to be found. But, I will have them check the transfer case and trany seal on my next Oil change. I change oil about every two weeks so that should not be a problem. LOL
Thanks all who wrote.
Randy

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
ivnurse-

That d*mn CVT still scares me. It is obvious that you take good care of your MO, since you change the oil every few weeks. I just want to know that the CVT can last more than the 100,000 miles you experienced.

-njjoe

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks to some of the other posts here. I too have been having problems with a burning smell (I now have 30,000 miles). After alerting the dealer that other people have had problems with leaking transfer cases, in happens to be the problem I am having. They are going to fix it within the next few weeks hopefully this will fix the problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts