Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I noticed i cant see anywhere, Even tho one of my headlights is semi out. but even one headlight should give enough light to see in ront of you. so i bought a lux meter to test how many lumens do i get from 20 feet away. By researching i figured it must be between 3000 to 3500 lumens for a xenon in distance of 18 to 20 feet.
So i tested mine and got only 200 lumens! No wonder i cant see anywhere at night.
I talked to a person who was semi expert in lights ( claimed ) he said Murano projectors are the way that they dont project much lights
so lets say if a Xenon bulb must be 3200 Lux average in brightness. there's eithe somethign wrogn with my light or the projector itself.
So i was wodering if i need to replace the light or its just how and what it is.
Does anyone have any experience?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
You may want to perform your measurement on a couple vehicles to be sure your measurement method and device is correct...

My experience with my '03 Xenon headlights was they were great on high beam, but mediocre at best on low beams. It was this way since I purchased it new.

Make sure the external headlight lens is perfectly clear, otherwise you will lose a lot of light due to scatter...

Depending on the amount of use they have had over the years, you may want to replace them. HID headlights deteriorate quite a bit quicker over time than halogens, it's the nature of the technology...

If possible (I don't know...,) I'd replace them with LEDs, they are superior to both halogens and HIDs.

Reactions: sistermoon2500

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You may want to perform your measurement on a couple vehicles to be sure your measurement method and device is correct...

My experience with my '03 Xenon headlights was they were great on high beam, but mediocre at best on low beams. It was this way since I purchased it new.

Make sure the external headlight lens is perfectly clear, otherwise you will lose a lot of light due to scatter...

Depending on the amount of use they have had over the years, you may want to replace them. HID headlights deteriorate quite a bit quicker over time than halogens, it's the nature of the technology...

If possible (I don't know...,) I'd replace them with LEDs, they are superior to both halogens and HIDs.
Hi.
Unfortunately there's no way to replace Xenon with LED in murano. However i like xenon better. And yes you're correct about the lens, i cleaned them it added 300 lumens to brightness. it wasnt even really dirty. it shows how important cleaning lens are.
I dont have any other vehicle to test it on. but im pretty syre the device is accourate. Btw i used THIS guild to test the lumens. If anyone got any idea what kinda projector does murano use it could be helpful.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Have you measured them when on high beams? Just curios.

The high beam function raises a shutter that covers part of the lamp when on low beams.

There is also a headlight leveling wheel on the lower left of the dash. This raises or lowers the shutter, maybe it's set too low... FYI, setting it too high will blind on coming drivers, so be aware...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you measured them when on high beams? Just curios.

The high beam function raises a shutter that covers part of the lamp when on low beams.

There is also a headlight leveling wheel on the lower left of the dash. This raises or lowers the shutter, maybe it's set too low... FYI, setting it too high will blind on coming drivers, so be aware...
Ive tested both high beam and low. High beam is abit brighter. And yes i measue the brightest part of the beam. just like in the video. also that headlight leveling wheel is set to highest already. unfortunatley it cant go higher. cause i need it for slow cars.
I dont know whats how is it like there, But here we dont use high beams for driving. High beams are only when we want to signal a car to move away or things like that. i also hate people driving with high beams

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
We only use high beams when it's proper, when there is no oncoming traffic.

My current Murano automatically switches to back and forth from low beams to high beams, it's a great feature IMO.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We only use high beams when it's proper, when there is no oncoming traffic.

My current Murano automatically switches to back and forth from low beams to high beams, it's a great feature IMO.
I just checked a vid review for Murano 2019. I liked it, The interior is kinda same as first gen just more modern. still got good cabin space just like what i like. and has many good options in cabin. I also loved the ambient lights at the doors and such.
The car's exterior's profile looks good and nice. front is ok too. But my main problem is back. the tail light and in general back of the car looks ugly. kinda looks like nissan juke. not sure when does Nissan want to change that.
Thats the only reason i dont have the new gens yet. they need to change the design of the lights. even 2022 model looks ugly.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
I agree, I don't particularly like the styling of the rear of the 3rd gen Murano also...

The LED headlights for model years '19+ are the best headlights I have ever had, they are excellent functionally.

·
Super Moderator
1,581 Posts
I agree, I don't particularly like the styling of the rear of the 3rd gen Murano also...
Exact reason I added the LED bumper running, brake and turn signal lighting. I also added the lower center bumper LED brake light with backup LED to improve backup lighting, which is also lacking.

Have a good day.

Reactions: MuranoSL2003

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Exact reason I added the LED bumper running, brake and turn signal lighting. I also added the lower center bumper LED brake light with backup LED to improve backup lighting, which is also lacking.

Have a good day.
I would REALLY like to increase the reverse lamp brightness of my '19. However, from my research, it's difficult to know if the backup LED you have will work with the '19+ model year refresh LED tail lights...

This is the one (or similar) that you have, correct?

Amazon.com: iJDMTOY Smoked Lens 3-In-1 LED Rear Fog Light Compatible With 11-14 Nissan Juke, 14-up Rogue, 15-up Murano, Red LED Running Light Assembly For Tail Brake Lamp & White LED Backup Reverse Light : Automotive

You can see I asked the vender a few questions. The part number they mentioned shows as incompatible with my '19...

2019 nissan Lamp Fog, R. Reflector REFLX - 26580-ED50A - Genuine nissan Part (nissanusa.com)

Do you happen to have a photo of the other changes you made to the rear?

·
Super Moderator
1,581 Posts
Unless they changed the backup bulb to LED, you can replace the filament bulb with this:

Calculator Communication Device Gadget Audio equipment Font

Amazon.com: Elite Vision 194 168 T10 192 2825 W5W Titanium Series LED Non-Polarity 400LM 6000K Bright White for Dome Map Courtesy Door License Plate Cargo Interior Lights (Pack of 2) : Automotive

Much brighter with more backup visibility, but not quite there yet.

For the bumper:
Automotive lighting Bumper Rectangle Automotive design Vehicle

Amazon.com: iJDMTOY Red Lens 48-SMD LED Bumper Reflector Lights Compatible With Infiniti FX35 FX50 QX70 Nissan Juke Murano Sentra etc. Function as Tail, Brake & Rear Fog Lamps : Automotive
Or the Smoked one:
Amazon.com: iJDMTOY Dark Smoked Lens 48-SMD LED Bumper Reflector Lights Compatible With Infiniti FX35 FX50 QX70 Nissan Juke Murano Sentra etc. Function as Tail, Brake & Rear Fog Lamps : Automotive

Or these that I just found. Might order this myself to replace the style above that I have installed.
Land vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tail & brake light Light Bumper

Clear Bumper Reflector LED Tail Brake Backup Light For Juke Murano Quest Sentra | eBay

and the center with backup LED:
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive tire

Red 3-In-1 LED Rear Fog Tail Brake Backup Light For Nissan X-Trail Rogue Murano | eBay

You might find these items cheaper on AliExpress or Wish, but you will wait for shipping from China. There are several venders with the same product, so research carefully. Some of the Amazon/EBay items ship local (USA) and some from China.

I removed my rear bumper to install the three lights at the same time. I designed a two piece wiring harness. One end for the bumper LEDs and other end from all the lighting connections needed in the rear with a 5 wire waterproof connector between the two to make future rear bumper removal easy. I might still have a few pics of the install.

You can search my posts for some rear photos of several revisions I've done to the rear of mm Murano.

Good luck.

Have a good day.

PS In the rear driver's side under the trim is the tow wiring connector (Install Tow Fuse.) that can be used for power, brake, backup and ground. Tap turn signals needed at the lower taillight connectors on each side for the outer taillight assemblies. Required wiring diagrams can be found online.

Reactions: MuranoSL2003

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Yep, have those, can't use them, the whole assembly is LED for model years '19+, bummed...

That's why I hope I can use the center bumper light for more reverse light lumens, thank you for all the suggestions! I'll look into them to see if they are compatible with what I have...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts