Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With gas prices rising through the roof, I noticed this item that claims to "allows your engine to burn fuel more fully and efficiently, resulting in MPG gains" and Horsepower.

Has anyone tried the Turbonator (see site address below) on there Mo?

http://www.turbonator.com/index.html

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
None of these magic fuel mileage devices work as advertised. In fact some cause you to lose fuel economy.

The Tornado type devices apparently seem to work because at low RPMs they restrict the intake charge enough so that the engine makes less power. When the engine makes less power due to restricted airflow, it burns less fuel, and hence "apparent" better fuel economy. Even Bobby Likis, who has a national radio show that talks about car repair, and pitches the Tornado, admits that it "works" by restricting power. You'll end up stepping on the gas harder anyways and use the same amount of fuel.

I find it kind of funny the website above says that you can take it to your mechanic to have them install it for you if you do not feel comfortable with doing it yourself. I think if your mechanic is "comfortable" with installing one of these money traps, you should find a new mechanic.

Don't believe the infomercials.

The best way to maximize fuel economy is to keep up with vehicle maintenance and limit the amount of short trips you take (short trips mean the engine operates in open loop more, and kills your fuel economy).

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
I was going to install one but what scared me away was the thought of a piece of the thing breaking off and getting into the engine..........:eek:

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You guys are always there to stare me in the right direction...

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Yea I bet you will start to see many of these "devices" as gas prices go up. Somebody on eBay was making fun of these things and was selling a small piece of wood to put behind the gas pedal. Winning bid was something like $20.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Gonzo said:
Yea I bet you will start to see many of these "devices" as gas prices go up. Somebody on eBay was making fun of these things and was selling a small piece of wood to put behind the gas pedal. Winning bid was something like $20.
Yep its true! I saw that auction, what fool would pay $20 for a wooden block? Well I guess its true you can sell *anything* on ebay.

Its sad to think a lot more people will fall for these "magic gas device" tricks, but you are right, with gas prices rising people will buy more of these junk devices.

·
Registered
828 Posts
How's about if you hook a fan belt onto this thing?

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
dmako said:
How's about if you hook a fan belt onto this thing?
Reminds me of the "electric supercharger" junk mod marketed a few years ago. It may still be sold.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Reminds me of a movie I just saw. Some guy bought a time travel machine online. Consisted of a box, dials, lots of wires and an electric wand. To operate the time machine you had to put the electric wand between your knees and turn on the current. The guy just about fried his own eggs, lol. No turbinator or time machines for me, thanks!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Read the latest Popular Mechanics magazine. They bought and tested a dozen so-called HP or MPG boosters, and said all of them didn't do anything but worsen your HP, MPG or damage your engine...

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess those engine treatments like Slick 50, Duralube, Etc. are all the same as well?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts