Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently drive a '98 BMW M3 but getting my son's walker and soon to be delivered wheelchair in and out is a huge hassle.

Our other vehicle is a Chrysler T&C van which we leave the rear seats out of to make things easier. Everything just pops in the back without folding anything up.

As of late we have needed to use my car on various weekends and it is not working out so I need buck up and sell the M3 and move into something else. The Murano is on my very short list at this time as I get the unique look and don't totally lose out on the sportiness. As my son gets older there are going to be even more times he needs to ride with daddy to things.

I have been to a Nissan dealer for a test drive but have not found the time to haul in the wife and kids for a test fit of the reverse walker. I don't have the wheelchair yet, Feb delivery, so I can't try that. Was just curious if any one out here has experience with either of these two items in a Murano?

This is a walker that folds up to fit into trunk of my beloved M3. I would really rather not have to fold it up each time in I take it out of Murano as that adds hassle and time which is bad in cold weather with an impatient child.

The wheelchair is for a 3 1/2 year old so it is not huge. I am not sure how much is folds up or how easy it will be to do that. Yeah, I know not much help here but maybe some one has similar setup or has assisted a family member with special needs.

I got the M3 5 years ago with 25k miles on it. Now it has 50k miles so I am looking low milage used Murano as I would rather have some one else take the depreciation hit for the number of miles I drive of ~5k a year. Of course if I could get into a new one at a really good deal I would go for that too. I would rather keep the M3 for another 5 years as I have never had a single problem with it and I try to keep it in mint condition and it is paid for of course.

I really like the way the back doors open out fully in the Murano, that is really going to help get Spencer in and out with ease.

·
Registered
842 Posts
HI
My Father in law suffers from Parkinsons, he is 6'2 and has no problem getting in or out of my Mo as long as he has support. You are correct that with the doors that open up almost to 90 degrees, it makes the Mo very easy to get in or out regardless of the challenges.

With the rear seat at a 60/40 split the whellchair should fit nicely even with both of the back seats up. Interesting enough I to had a Grand Caravan and when I got the Mo, the van was only 6" longer than the MO.

I think that the Mo will suit you and your family well as it is very comfortable to ride in and fun to drive. Good luck on your shopping and look forward to announcing that you have bought one. You will find that the people on this website are very friendly and helpful to any questions that you may have, good luck:29: :29: :29:

·
Registered
781 Posts
Well, I certainly can't help you with your exact request as far as space concerns - but I wouldn't see why it wouldn't fit. The only thing that might be a problem would be the height getting the wheelchair in.

The side doors open wide and also the entry is low compared to other vehicles in the same class. I don't know what other cars you're looking at.

As a side note - I've always loved the M3. It is on my short list and has been for many many years.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
The Murano is not as spacious as a minivan, and the interior is like a large sedan, so if you need space to put the wheelchair, it will have to be in the cargo hatch in back. You will have to fold a wheelchair to fit it in a Murano.

·
Registered
55 Posts
QUOTE]Have a special needs child - thinking of a Murano[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure of your situation, but I can tell you as the parent of a son with CP (he's 21 and walks with forearm crutches) that leg room and headroom was on our agenda when shopping for a car. When Eric was younger he used walkers in various configurations and it was a nightmare trying to fit them in the cars we had at the time Eric also wears braces that restrict his bending his legs a whole lot and what even most sedans have in terms of legroom in the back is a joke. We considered a Quest but like you, wanted something sporty, and we are just not mini van people! The Murano fit the bill just fine. He's got loads of legroom and he can lay his crutches flat on the floor (no hump!). He has no trouble getting in and out. Most whellchairs fold flat nowadays so you should have no problem putting it in the back.
Good luck with your car shopping and God Bless

Ed

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Everyone thanks a lot on your comments. Ed thank you the most as you have a clearer picture of what I am looking at. Spencer was injured by the childhood vaccines. Currently he is small at age 3 1/2 but all his stuff takes a lot of room. I tend to keep vehicles for a while so I would like something for him to grow in to.

Right now he is using the walker and they are thinking he can move into sticks (the arm crutches) within the next year. We are going to try and ONLY use the wheelchair we he gets tired as he is too big to carry but that still means we need to take all the equipment everywhere we go. He is making steady improvements which is really the best news.

Sounds like the Murano stays tops on my list. One dealership is very close to the wheelchair place so I am going to have my wife follow me there, pick up a Murano (used one if they are worried about a new one) and head over to try a fitting. It that all goes well we will do the serious shopping. I had no cars / sedans on the list as I knew it would take an SUV or minivan to solve our needs.

I would still like to go low mileage used which could mean it takes time to find the right one. Took me 6 months to find the M3 I wanted (4 door 5 speed) so I am willing to wait. Since the salesman has sent me two letters and called a couple of times they may be in the heavy dealing mode which opens up a new one as a possibility.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
I don't know if this will help, but if you get tow package, a lot of places sell small flat bed cargo or bike carriers that have no wheels and connect to the tow bar and are about 2x4 or 2x5 feet in size. I bought one from Wall Mart automotive department for $99 and I use it to carry just about everything on the outside of the MO (saving the interior in the process from dirt, cuts and bruises). It is also easy to load and unload from since it is at the height of the tow bar. If interested, I can post pictures (and exact dimensions) for you.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Zebelkhan, I would love to see pictures of that. I think I have a pretty good idea of what it looks like but I may be way off.

Have you run into any issues with parking or driving in general with it installed? I doubt it will fit into the garage with it in place and you don't want to use it on really snowy or rainy days but otherwise it sounds like it may help in a lot of other situations.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
I will post a pic in the am. This thing adds about 2.5 feet to the car so makes parking a bit more difficult but not impossible. I can fit it inside my garage though if I am carefull. I have one of those laser guides inside my garage that lets me pull forward all the way without hitting the wall! I have not noticed any problems during driving just that I need to know the car is now longer

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have an appointment set up at 11 AM on Monday the 27th with the wheelchair folks. They are only a mile or so from the dealership and I called dealership to allow me to take a Murano for a test fit of the wheelchair. I will be at dealer around 10:30 AM.

We will drive our van with the walker in it to the dealer so I can make sure everything works out for our needs.

I know there is a $1,500 rebate going on right now. Any one know if my chances are good at dealing right now? Usually I wait for a low mileage used but if they are in a dealing mode I would be willing to do the deed right then.

End of year, willing to take an '04, they seem to have plenty in stock, '05 model are showing up, weather is too cold (near zero F around here) for most to shop. Hopefully all of that works in my favor.

Also, the dealer web site lists the vehicles, color ext / int but is pitiful on options. Only shows standards. Any free way to tell via web based VIN look up what options it really has? That would help me narrow down which ones I am interested in. I can makes some guesses based on MSRP.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Sorry I did not post the pics earlier but I just could not get them small enough to fit. I hope iy works now. The size of the carrier is 20 inches by 60 inches.

PIC 1 of 3

Attachments

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Wonder if you could make a little square on the outside round on the inside adaptor to hold the rear view camera. When it is not used otherwise.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Yea it was late, Doesn't make a lot of sense to me either. I figure it out and repost later.

·
Registered
55 Posts
MKevin3
Once Spencer moves onto the crutches he will have an easier time getting around (believe me, we've been there!). I'm assuming he uses a KAYE walker and that can be awful tough for a little guy to drag behind him. You don't mention if you have any other kids so I'm also assuming Spencer is the only one in the back. Split the seat down and you should have more than enough room for both chair and walker, and once he moves to the sticks you'll have more room. Given the fact that the cargo bed would not fit mounted in the garage, and you would not be using it on inclement weather days, it sounds like it would be more of a hassle to keep mounting it on and off , and not to mention harder to park.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ed, we have two kids. Spencer who is 3 1/2 and Trevor who is 8 so leaving one seat folded is not an option for most trips. Of course there will be times only Spencer is back there.

The extra carrier looks as I expected it to look and you are right, if I can't park it in the garage and it is off the list when the weather is bad, which in Kansas it can change from good to bad every day, it will be a bit of a hassle.

He currently has a reverse walker. Hopefully it shows up in the attached picture. If we get to move to sticks then the wheelchair, which we will use when he is tired etc, will be the big item.

I really hope it works out on Monday. If so I am sure I will post back as a happy new owner.

adavid, I am off to try your advice for configurations. Thanks for letting me know about that.

And everyone can just call me Kevin, the M and the 3 are me in my car (M Kevin 3) M3 with Kevin inside. Might have to change that if the trade occurs.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Kevin,
The walker is a little taller than I expected, but it should fit in (probably sideways). Theres probably enough room for the chaps and the bandana too! Spencer's a great looking kid. I hope Santa brings him a shiny new (or late model pre-owned) Murano !

Merry Christmas to you and your family, and good luck on Monday.

Ed :2:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts