Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really like the Murano, really. I rented one for a week and it was great. It has just about every luxury feature that is available on more expensive models (save for a power rear hatch). It is roomy in the passenger areas, drives smoothly and handles smartly. Power is more than adequate and I am sold on the CVT from driving my A4 (with a similar CVT). However, I am still not 100% convinced that the cargo area is large enough for my family.

Right now I have just a 5-month old daughter. She will be graduating from her infant carrier into a convertible car seat soon, which will not fit in my A4, so I was looking for something larger. While I can fit her stroller in the side of my A4's trunk north-south, it will only fit east-west in the Murano (unless I prop it up on the back of the rear seats). With the stroller in the Murano, it seemed to have little more cargo room than my A4.

Now, I watched my neighbor pack his Volvo XC90 for a trip to Disney World with his wife and 2-year old and the back of the XC was packed full, and I know that the XC has a larger cargo area than the Murano.

Since the rear seats will stay up all of the time because I will have the child seat in the middle position (the safest place), the ability to fold the rear seats simply won't work for me.

So I started shopping for vehicles with more cargo room. I pretty much nixed any truck-based SUV because of excessive weight and poor fuel economy. I looked at the XC90, but it doesn't lease very well (I only lease my cars) and it was a good $200/mo more than a Murano. The interior of the Caddy SRX just didn't do it for me and, even with my supplier discount, it would cost me over $100/mo more than the Mo which I didn't think it was worth. The Highlander and Pilot don't have enough luxury features for me. The Touareg is a bit larger, but over $150/mo more expensive and weighs a ton (literally) more than the Murano. The MDX is a lame duck model that has a dated interior (and is more $$$ than the Mo). Just for kicks I priced out a new Tahoe, and with desirable features, the MSRP topped $45K!!

Basically, I can't find anything else that has the features and/or fuel economy of the Murano, and is even in the ball park when it comes to price. So it comes down to paying more money (which is a possibility) or going with the Murano and hoping I don't outgrow the vehicle over the next 3 years.

So, am I being silly worrying this much? Should I look for something bigger or just get the Murano and be happy?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
haha i think your being very silly.during the christmas week we had our mo packed to the roof with 4 people, me(18yo), my bro(14yo), and my parents. we weren't uncomfortable at all. i think you should just go for it with the mo. it's an amzing vechicle and the styleing always turns heads. i understand the fact that you have a growing family but many people like yourself substitute style and functionality for boring.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
I had two mini vans before the Mo, they worked out great for me having two small kids. They had power side doors which is a blessing when herding the kids in and out on shopping outings. Before I even reached the van I would open the side door with the fob and they just climbed in, I got in and pressed the button, door shut and locked.
Going on vacation....
That required the use of a car top carrier. There was no way to pack all of the essentials of a beach vacation for 4, even in a mini van with as much space in the back as the mo--and one even had less room.
My paw inlaw went through heart bypass surgery yesterday and we had to take the kids and all of our clothes in a very large suitcase, pillows, book bags, blankets, extra towels etc with us a state away for a 2 night stay. Everything fit well.... after I took my huge bandpass cabinet out.
But for a beach vacation...I think I just might take the roof top carrier I still have and put it in my utility trailer and pull it there.

If you get a Mo with roof racks (mine is a smooth top) and get cross bars, you can use a roof top carrier and have the same amount of storage as my minivans had while on vacation.
:D

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
shappy0869-

It sounds like you answered your own question... "I really like the Murano, really. I rented one for a week and it was great. "

You had it for a week and you liked it. It's relatively affordable. It has everything you're looking for. Like you said, it's a great car.

If you're heading to Disney and find you are running out of room in the back of the MO then pick up a roof carrier and throw 100 pounds of clothes up there and you're good to go.

-njjoe

·
Registered
470 Posts
shappy0869 said:

Since the rear seats will stay up all of the time because I will have the child seat in the middle position (the safest place), the ability to fold the rear seats simply won't work for me.

The Touareg is a bit larger, but over $150/mo more expensive and weighs a ton (literally) more than the Murano.
The back seat is split 60/40 so you fold down one side only to get more cargo room and still be able to mount the baby seat in the middle.

The Touareg does not have as much cargo or rear seat room. It is much harder to get into the rear seats also because of size of the door opening and the height.

The Murano cargo area has good size, especially if the rear seats are folded down, but the shape can limit the cargo you carry because of the rounded tailgate shape and the interior height can limit tall objects. I can't easily fit a large dog crate in the back because of the ceiling height and the roof mounted middle seatbelt braket.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Shappy,

I'm in almost the same situation as you. I have a child on the way and I decided that I will sell my A4 for a larger vehicle. I used to (past tense) have a 2003 Murano SE AWD that I loved, but it got totalled in 2003. I always liked the car and, 2 years later when comparing current SUVs, I found myself drawn back to the Murano.

The A4 trunk is actually quite generous, but at the expense of rear seat leg room. The Murano gives up a little cargo capacity (2 dimensionally) for more rear leg room. But vertically speaking, the Murano can hold more.

I love my A4 and it's been a great car, but the Murano is an absolute blast and (believe it or not) I'm actually enjoying it more than either my former 2002 Audi A4 Avant or the 1997 A4 Quattro that I'm selling.

Bob

·
5,244 Posts
shappy0869

You said you are leasing so I would assume that it will be 3 years lease. Right now your daughter is 5 months old so in 3 years she'll be only 3.5. Unless there is another baby ;) I do not believe you will have problem with space in the Murano.
Good luck

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for everyone's comments and advice. I am sure I am just over-analyzing the situation and the Mo will work out just fine for me.

Next step is the joy of having to order one and wait impatiently for it to arrive in 2 or (most likely) three months!

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
We have two kids... and a double stroller. I find that it all fits in the back with no problems and room for a pack n' play, small bike, couple of large bags etc. For longer trips like skiing I purchased a Thule box that fits like a glove on the crossbars. Installs in seconds (one person) when I need the extra space for bigger items.

The space in the MO's trunk is great and great vertical space too.

Another option would be to put the stroller on the floor of the rear seats... loads of room there without interfering with the kids in their car seats.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
We have gone 600 miles skiing with 4 people in the car a number of times, and have never failed to get everything INSIDE the MO and could still see out the back window. It has a lot more room than it looks because of the contoured tailgate

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
So, am I being silly worrying this much?

YES

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
shappy0869-

Excellent!!!

Good luck with your soon-to-be new MO!!

-njjoe

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Congrats

You will love it. :)

·
5,244 Posts
Re: Check my sig

shappy0869 said:
OK, I did. It says:
“You are 208.x.xx.xx! Your ISP is xxxxxx.com
You are running on Windows XP using IE6!
Don’t you wish your computer was better protected?”

Actually I do not as this computer is on a corporate network that is overprotected!

Seriously – CONGRATULATIONS MAN! WELCOME TO THE CLUB!

I have had Murano for almost 3 years now, 51K miles and still love it! So enjoy your new toy!
:)

·
Love to live w/ MO
410 Posts
Re: Re: Check my sig

Kris said:

OK, I did. It says:
“You are 208.x.xx.xx! Your ISP is xxxxxx.com
You are running on Windows XP using IE6!
Don’t you wish your computer was better protected?”

Actually I do not as this computer is on a corporate network that is overprotected!

Seriously – CONGRATULATIONS MAN! WELCOME TO THE CLUB!

I have had Murano for almost 3 years now, 51K miles and still love it! So enjoy your new toy!
:)
i think he meant about the first part of his sig... Ordered and due in May '06. (correct me if im wrong)

anyways, i got my 11 month old in the middle of back seat and her MO in the back (the stroller). still i find there is enough space in MO to fit shopping, grocery and other stuff. yes, you do need to organize the stuff but it will fit perfectly....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts