Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried the search function but did not find anything.

The head lights on this Murano really are bad. They are so bad that I find it hard to belive that it passes the federal standard.

Anyway, has anyone found a way to get more light out of the stock headlights? I have already tried a few different kinds of brighter bulbs with little affect.

Has anyone converted the regular head lights over the the OEM HID lights and if so, did that make much of a difference? If it did what was involved in doing this?

Gadget

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
a countless number of owners have done the halogen to HID swap and it's all basically plug and play. all you need is just one extra wire. someone will come along and lead you in the right direction very soon. sorry i couldn't be of more help. maybe if you do a search on HID conversion you may find something.:)

·
Registered
12,512 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Even the HIDs don't cover the road particularly well. If you adjust the low beam HIDs to a comfortable height, it makes the high beams shoot out into the sky (not very effective). So in either case, its a compromise.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Has anyone tried PIAAs (the real thing, not the knock-offs)? I personally have OEM HID (factory installed) and would never own a car without them. The sharp cutoff is an issue soemtimes, but they are adjustable from inside the car.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I didn't like the MO's hal lights either. I might try new bulbs but in the short term I adjusted the height mannual which made a big difference. They were just aimmed a bit too low.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Gonzo said:
I didn't like the MO's hal lights either. I might try new bulbs but in the short term I adjusted the height mannual which made a big difference. They were just aimmed a bit too low.
How did you adjust them? Would I have to climb through that dam wheel well again?

·
Premium Member
2,226 Posts
PLEASE make sure that you guys aren't aiming your headlights too high. Especially in an SUV, it doesn't take much to blind the person in front of you (even moreso if they're in a normal car).

You should see (even with halogen lights) the top edge of the beam shining on the road. In other words, the highest point of the beam must have a DOWNWARD angle. If you can't tell exactly where your light ends, then you have them too high and you're blinding other drivers.

Likewise, fog lights should NEVER be aimed upwards. Fog lights are to light up the road IMMEDIATELY in front of the vehicle, and should never shine more than a few feet in front of the car.

Remember, there is a reason why you have high/low beams. When noone is around, turn on your brights. When someone is, it's your responsibility to dim your lights to the point where they aren't blinding the drivers in front of you.

(yes, I used to and still do drive CARS, and am constantly annoyed at all the SUV drivers that blind me on a regular basis. Huge semis keep their lights aimed low, why can't other people?)

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
TheGymKid said:

How did you adjust them? Would I have to climb through that dam wheel well again?
If you have the HAL lights then there is a screw behind eacy light. You can get to it easily and adjust.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
waaaaay back there somewhere I was less than impressed with my non HID lights.

I think I got used to them.
But, the highs are still a bit high for my taste. I imagine if I was in Florida or Texas or some other flat state I would feel differently. Atlanta is all hills.
What I can't stand are the peeps who put HID bulbs in normal reflectors and blind the crap out of everyone.
:twak:

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
we had the PIAA's xtreme whites in our old MO and they weren't a big improvement. they were really expensive and the filament broke after 3 months. $100 CDN set of bulbs to the garbage.

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
nissanlove said:
we had the PIAA's xtreme whites in our old MO and they weren't a big improvement. they were really expensive and the filament broke after 3 months. $100 CDN set of bulbs to the garbage.
PIAA xtreme whites (and other brighter bulbs) usually run on higher wattage than common halogen bulbs recomended by car manufacturer: 55 watt.

I have seen PIAA that runs 100Watt! OMG.

2 potential problems of running higher wattage bulb:
1. The headlight wirings and relay and switch are not designed to handle that much current. They can melt/short/burn out. And you are looking for big bucks to replace the components, especially, the headlight switch.

2. Some halogen light housings are made of plastic (not glass). Continuous high wattage will cause higher temp to build up inside the housing. This will start the discoloration/melting of the plastic. Soon, your headlight transparent plastic will discolor; bluish green stain start to appear like burn marks. Ugly~ :4:

I had experienced #1 on my car before. Cost to replace the switch: $450.

Had seen my friend's honda suffered #2 as well....

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
our PIAA's were the stock 65/55 watt ones so there was no risk of burning the wiring. there is no way that i would go higher than stock wattage and risk burning something out internally for the sake of light output. altough now you can get heavy duty wiring harness for those high wattage bulbs

ohh and speaking of light bulbs, i replaced my park light bulbs the other day with eurolight extreme whites. they match the hids almost perfectly. check it out.

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
nissanlove said:
our PIAA's were the stock 65/55 watt ones so there was no risk of burning the wiring. there is no way that i would go higher than stock wattage and risk burning something out internally for the sake of light output. altough now you can get heavy duty wiring harness for those high wattage bulbs

ohh and speaking of light bulbs, i replaced my park light bulbs the other day that eurolight extreme whites. that match the hids almost perfectly. check it out.
Nissanlove, looks good! :D

·
Enjoying the ride…
452 Posts
nissanlove said:

ohh and speaking of light bulbs, i replaced my park light bulbs the other day that eurolight extreme whites. that match the hids almost perfectly. check it out.
Nissanlove, where did you buy them and what type they are? I want to do the same for mine. Also, can anobody tells me where to buy the bulbs for fog lights to match the head lights? Thanks

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
i got mine at JB's power center. trust me murano driver, you do not want to spend all that money on PIAA bulbs. they're highly over rated.

grip suggested these bulbs for HID match bulbs
fog light bulbs

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
the fog light bulb size is 9006. make sure that they are 55w.

the park light bulbs are eurolite extreme whites. they have a blue coating but they light up bright white with a slight blue hue. the bulb size is 194.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Anyone have any recommendations for a hal replacement for the OEM to get it a little whiter while maintaining 65 WATTS?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts