Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I have a '07 Murano and the headlights are absolute crap. So I was looking into replacements and it appears I should update to either HID or LED bulbs. However, it appears that LED's are officially 'DOT Approved'. Although I doubt that is ever enforced. LED bulbs seem more plug and play then HIDs, as HIDs require a ballast installation (to convert 12v to 20,000+ volts to ignite the gas right?). What are people's experience with upgrading your bulbs? Also, how easy is it to adjust your headlight aiming? I think that may be part of my problem too. I found these LED's that seem legit, anyone have any opinion on these? https://precisionled.com/nissan-murano-kepler-led-headlight-package-2003-2007.html

·
Registered
217 Posts
I'd start by trying to aim them correctly. You hinted that might be the problem. Do a search for aiming or take it to a shop. Shouldn't be too much. The road to led or others can be frustrating and costly. Led's are also way too bright for oncoming traffic. Wait till you aggravate a cop.

·
Administrator
9,270 Posts
Most of the light pattern on the road is determined by the reflector and lens, and changing lamps doesn't change either of those. The suggestion above to have them carefully aimed is an excellent idea!! Most people never bother.

You might get a bit more light by going to an LED that throws more lumens, but it's hard to say how much difference they will make in visibility. At least it's not an expensive thing to try.

I had an 07 and I agree that the headlights weren't great. I added two Hella 500 driving lights on a light bar so that on high beams I could see well.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
My '03 had OEM HID headlights. I thought they were pretty good at the time. My '19 has OEM LED headlights, and they are far far better than my HIDs ever were... If upgrading the bulb, I wouldn't even consider using HIDs, their time has past IMO...

·
Registered
824 Posts
Not sure if this was standard in all year 1st Gens, but I know in my 2003 there's a three-position wheel on the lower-left face of the dash that allows for vertical adjustment of the headlight beam (possibly just the high beam, I'm not entirely sure.) I realize it doesn't take the place of correct headlight aiming.

I always thought the stock HID lights on my 2003 were fairly weak and useless, whereas the LEDs on the 2021 are intense and can illuminate things in broad daylight.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Not sure if this was standard in all year 1st Gens, but I know in my 2003 there's a three-position wheel on the lower-left face of the dash that allows for vertical adjustment of the headlight beam (possibly just the high beam, I'm not entirely sure.) I realize it doesn't take the place of correct headlight aiming.

I always thought the stock HID lights on my 2003 were fairly weak and useless, whereas the LEDs on the 2021 are intense and can illuminate things in broad daylight.
The headlight level positioner is only for HID 1st gen Muranos due to their brightness I would guess... I had to adjust mine down to prevent oncoming drivers from flashing their high-beams at me. It is also is used if you have a heavy load in the rear, which would tilt the headlights up and cause glare to oncoming drivers.

I agree, although I felt my HIDs were great in total darkness compared to stock halogens (but still not nearly as good as the LEDs in my '19.) They also didn't have as much down-road lighting as my current LEDs.

However, in more marginal lighting conditions, I agree, it was almost as if they were not on... Probably a light spectrum thing...

HIDs also degrade in brightness much much faster the LEDs, and probably halogens. Your Murano had lots of miles, so if you still had the original HIDs, they were probably well past their useful brightness spec...

·
Registered
824 Posts
The headlight level positioner is only for HID 1st gen Muranos due to their brightness I would guess... I had to adjust mine down to prevent oncoming drivers from flashing their high-beams at me. It is also is used if you have a heavy load in the rear, which would tilt the headlights up and cause glare to oncoming drivers.

I agree, although I felt my HIDs were great in total darkness compared to stock halogens (but still not nearly as good as the LEDs in my '19.) They also didn't have as much down-road lighting as my current LEDs.
My biggest complaint with the 03's beamers was the lack of light thrown ahead of the vehicle. It almost seemed like they shone maybe 60 feet ahead, making it feel like a horror movie setting where any moment a machete-wielding maniac appears out a curtain of darkness and jumps onto the hood.

Yes, my headlights were the originals. I also wonder if using Marvel Mystery Oil on both to remove hazing maybe somehow reflected the light back into the lens (or diffused it), instead of projecting it strongly ahead. High beams were great. Low beams? I probably would've been better off taping some jars filled with fireflies to the grille.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do not have any headlight adjuster on the dash and I'm fairly certain that I have the original '07 halogen bulbs, not the HIDs. I think I will get the LEDs offered by PrecisionLED. My current lenses are also a bit hazy, but it's not that bad. Certainly not worth replacing them and I read some of y'all past posts about cleaning them (basically a soft abrasion) and that solution seems a bit iffy. Is this the best thread on adjusting them?

·
Administrator
9,270 Posts
My idea is to remove the haze using almost any of the kits that clear the headlights, and then to immediately cover the lens with clear protective headlight film. If you don't have a way to protect the lens, it will haze again. There are kits with the right cutouts available online.

As long as the headlight lens is hazy, it will diffuse the light and result in lousy illumination. The trick is to prevent the haze from returning.

·
Administrator
9,270 Posts
Do you only need to cover the lens on the outside or on the inside too? Btw, as a Beavers fan, I am unfortunately rooting against y'all hard for the Apple Cup.
It's the exterior that hazes. Just the exterior needs to be dealt with. I have never figured out why some cars get the haze and others of the same make and model don't.

I'm a Beaver fan other than when they play Wazzu. We are really, really ready to win an Apple Cup!!

·
Super Moderator
1,470 Posts
I do not have any headlight adjuster on the dash and I'm fairly certain that I have the original '07 halogen bulbs, not the HIDs. I think I will get the LEDs offered by PrecisionLED. My current lenses are also a bit hazy, but it's not that bad. Certainly not worth replacing them and I read some of y'all past posts about cleaning them (basically a soft abrasion) and that solution seems a bit iffy. Is this the best thread on adjusting them?
You should take care of the haze first. Changing to LEDs will increase the glare factor and risk being tagged for blinding on coming traffic.

There's several good headlight cleaners. Myself, I recommend the Meguiar's Headlight restorer for those unexperienced.

Liquid Product Human body Automotive tire Personal care

Amazon.com: Meguiar's G2970 Two Step Headlight Restoration Kit, 4 fl. oz, 1 Pack : Automotive

You can do the same using 3000 - 4000 wet sandpaper and finishing with an automotive clearcoat.

Liquid Fluid Bottle Service Gas

Amazon.com: Spray Max 2K High Gloss Finish Clear Coat Spray Paint | Car Parts and Repair Refinishing Clear Coat for Permanent Sealing of Coated Surfaces | 3680061 : Automotive

I restored a friends '05 Chevy pickup headlights using the sandpaper and clearcoat over 2 years ago and they still look brand new on the outside. His headlights were so cloudy that I had to to start with a 400 grit sandpaper to get to clear plastic.

Looking at the LED headlights that you've chosen, that style of bulb has been changed to improve compatibility with reflective headlight housing by more closely replicating the placement of the filament of the Halogen bulb you're replacing.

Tire Automotive tire Product Automotive lighting Wheel

Amazon.com: DBPOWER 9005/HB3 H11/H9/H8 LED Headlight Bulbs Combo,100W 20000 Lumens,500% Brighter LED Headlights Conversion Kits 6500K Cool White,Pack of 4 : Automotive

I have successfully used this style LED bulb in over a dozen cars without any light alignment issues.

Also, be leery of LED headlights that are less then $75. I've had to change out several sets where the owners had purchased the cheaper LED headlights. The cheap ones tend to start not throwing light after about a year of heavy use. When the headlights are on and looking directly at the headlights, they seem alright, but at night next to a car that has good LED headlights, you can see that they are not throwing the same amount as when new. This is the number one complaint that you will hear from someone who's changed to LED headlights, and bought the cheap ones. Happened to me and I learned my lesson.

Remember, you get what you pay for. Oh, and I'm just using Amazon as a source for pics and info, not saying to go there for the purchase.

Good luck.

Have a good day.

·
Administrator
9,270 Posts
The clear coat is a fantastic idea! If you don't protect the newly cleaned headlight lenses, they will haze again quickly.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts