Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having problem with drivers side headlight. Turns on, flickers then goes out. I was able to keep it on by flicking the switch a few times. As of late it just flickers then goes out at start up.

So going to replace the ballast, igniter, bulb. Just to be on the safe side. The car has nearly 140K and it's age. Only wanting to go at it one time so, changing out both sides.

1- can I get to the ballast from the wheel well?
or remove the bumper. From what I have researched it looks like it might be best to remove the whole assembly.

There is not that much "out there" to replace the HID/Zenon lights.

2-Any tips & tricks would be really appreciated, anything to help save a few dollars. Been out of work due to a disability. Money and stamina are on the low side.

3- Should I get a subscription to Mitchels or Alldata? ( just to have the "dumb questions" quick answered.)

BTW the car has been good to me. The DIY repairs are a pita. Especially the alternator and radiator.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Having problem with drivers side headlight. Turns on, flickers then goes out. I was able to keep it on by flicking the switch a few times. As of late it just flickers then goes out at start up.

So going to replace the ballast, igniter, bulb. Just to be on the safe side. The car has nearly 140K and it's age. Only wanting to go at it one time so, changing out both sides.

1- can I get to the ballast from the wheel well?
or remove the bumper. From what I have researched it looks like it might be best to remove the whole assembly.

There is not that much "out there" to replace the HID/Zenon lights.

2-Any tips & tricks would be really appreciated, anything to help save a few dollars. Been out of work due to a disability. Money and stamina are on the low side.

3- Should I get a subscription to Mitchels or Alldata? ( just to have the "dumb questions" quick answered.)

BTW the car has been good to me. The DIY repairs are a pita. Especially the alternator and radiator.
Easiest (most economical) is to swap parts from the other side and see if(when) the failure moves...

·
Registered
159 Posts
Ive had this problem and fixed it.

first try swapping bulbs only.

ballasts and igniter are what you want to replace.

YES you can do it from the wheel well. the plastic fender is very forgiving. forget taking off the bumper. the plastic ages roughly and any rust will ruin any effort to remove and replace bumper smoothly.

work from wheel well and ensure you dry out the headlamp from the inside as best you can. then when putting in the new igniter + ballast combo, you seal it properly and maybe even using dielectric grease on the connectors.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks!

The way I look at it, especially with high energy. When one is on it's way out then both may be gone soon.

Like wheel Bearings, you know you'll replace the other soon after the first one.

Parts are already ordered and on their way.

It looks like I'll need some more plastic panel clips/buttons.

Why In the freaking He|| did the engineers make so many different size clips/buttons for one fender-well skirt... BUTTHEADS!!!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Thanks!

The way I look at it, especially with high energy. When one is on it's way out then both may be gone soon.

Like wheel Bearings, you know you'll replace the other soon after the first one.

Parts are already ordered and on their way.

It looks like I'll need some more plastic panel clips/buttons.

Why In the freaking He|| did the engineers make so many different size clips/buttons for one fender-well skirt... BUTTHEADS!!!
they shouldn't be. the clips are all the same size in the wheel well.

Also, you typically only need to replace the one igniter.

Amazon has cheap 4300k HID bulbs. something like $15/pair. so you don't have to worry about parts cost.

igniter and ballast you can typically get used from a junk yard or wrecker yard

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Buy this and be done with it.

amazon.com/gp/product/B07DPQKTQQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Sometimes there is a coupon to bring it down to 19.99. Thats how much i bought it for. Plug and play easy install. No flickering. It goes in and out of stock.

I have a 2014 SV.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought a set off of E-Bay, Was about $100. for both sides. Matched up Numbers and power wattage. All is well for night driving.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I Highly I agree. I bought a pair of lights like these LED's. They were $30 and are just as bright and instant on. Had them over 2 years with no problems. I was happy to remove my after market HID and wire harness got tired of once on a while ground problems that wouldn't turn on one light or the other.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
5 Participants
Dskvid
Nissan Murano Forum
We’re a community dedicated to Nissan Murano owners and enthusiasts. Discuss specs, safety rating, towing capacity and more!
Full Forum Listing