Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just to let everyone know i restored my dull yellowing headlight lens with turtlewax headlight lens restorer. it works good and really easy. heres some pics of my lens.
IMG_1906.jpg

IMG_1907.jpg

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Very cool! Congrats on the new lens.

Sorry to be "that guy" but don't be surprised if it starts to yellow again within the next few months. Those kits are only designed to either fill in the imperfections or smooth out the lens surface. It does not reseal the lens at all. In order for you to get the lens to stay perfect you have to get off the original clear coat, then polish it up, then seal it with a plastic clear coat. Presta Products makes a lens sealer that you can use to seal it up. However, it won't work if there is any OEM clear coat on the lens.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did the same thing last summer using a 3M kit. It wasn't to painful to do, just about 30 min-1 hour. I found it tricky on the first Gen MO headlights due to the bulge near the turning indicator.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Funny.:D As stupid as it sounds but I tried the colgate 2 months ago and surprisingly it actually worked. My headlight is not as bad as the above post--maybe a third of that--and it was clear in 30 min/light. I'm happy for now. If I have to do it every year or 2 is not bad at all.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Very cool! Congrats on the new lens.

Sorry to be "that guy" but don't be surprised if it starts to yellow again within the next few months. Those kits are only designed to either fill in the imperfections or smooth out the lens surface. It does not reseal the lens at all. In order for you to get the lens to stay perfect you have to get off the original clear coat, then polish it up, then seal it with a plastic clear coat. Presta Products makes a lens sealer that you can use to seal it up. However, it won't work if there is any OEM clear coat on the lens.

Good luck!
yep, i used that turtle wax kit on mine 4-5 months ago and they are already back to being as bad as before. The kit has a sealer, but evidently, it's not so good.

·
Registered
978 Posts
The sealant isn't the issue. The problem with any of these "restoration" kits is that you polish away the UV protectant, which leaves the plastic lenses completely vulnerable to the harsh effects of UV light. Unfortunately the only long-term solution is completely replacing the headlight assemblies.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thats alright thou, 10$ a year to buy them kit aint bad maybe it would last 2 years ill find out eventually. and filifan. thats what mine looked like lol.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Sad but true. Interestingly, US headlight lens material and coatings are always years behind the latest and greatest because the US requires extensive testing (e.g., the lens sitting out in the sun in Florida and Arizona for 3-6 YEARS!!) before they can gain approval for environmental ruggedness. Unlike EU regs, the US doesn't accept test procedures that simulate aging. See here for more info.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I did mine with a little Scratch Dr. and a rag, I didnt want to spend $20+ for a headlight kit when I already had the Scratch Dr,.
It takes a little elbow grease but it works as good as any of the others, as long as they arent too bad, I wouldnt want to try it on some really bad ones but mine werent that cloudy.

·
Super Moderator
7,972 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have small side business, where I detail mostly high end cars, (however, I never turn down business big or small), cheapest and fastest way is turtle wax, and a buffer. Even a cheap low speed buffer and med-high comp wax, and finally light compound will take care of even the nasty yellowed lights. Espacially here in Florida, headlights get yellowed seriously fast, and 90% of the methods offered in auto stores only last for a short while, 6 months tops. However, the 3m Kit is pretty awesome, but when you hit it that hard with sandpaper, it will fade back to haze quick (here in Florida at least). I have been continuing to wax mine lightly every time I see them start to turn yellowish. Come to think of it, I need to redo them now......

·
Registered
362 Posts
Another thought - if you clean up the lens and THEN cover it with 3M Headlight film, you won't have problems with the lens clouding up again because the headlight film will protect it. Might not be able to cover the bump for the turn signal, but that's a detail.

X-Pel Headlight Protection - 3m Headlight Protection Film, Clear Headlight UV Lens Protector

My 07 Murano is one of the vehicles they offer a kit for.
Sounds like the answer Pilgrim, have you done yours yet--I have a 2007 also and terribly yellowed.

·
Super Moderator
7,972 Posts
Sounds like the answer Pilgrim, have you done yours yet--I have a 2007 also and terribly yellowed.
My 2007 has no lens problems, at least yet...so I fortunately haven't had to do this exercise.

·
Registered
256 Posts
nice man. glad it worked for you

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

1 - 20 of 24 Posts