Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

I have a 2004 SL . Recently I noticed my high beam on the left side was not functioning. I went to the dealer and they said I need a needed a new bulb. However, once the bulb arrived, they changed their diagnosis to say that a rat or something actually chewed through the wires! I was told $800.00 to replace the entire assembly. OUCH.

Anyway, if the wires are truly "chewed" I would rather just rewire them myself. Can someone help me with the procedure to access these wires? Maybe a diagram from a repair manual or something?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mark

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
Mlinder...there are many wires in the headlight system...

and without actually using an ohmeter, it is really difficult to figure out which wire is the problem/'chewed by the rat".

Where r u located?

Rewiring is not difficult.
You can download the factory service manual for $20 from nissan.
Do a search in this forum for the website. There is an entire chapter in the manual dedicated to headlights system, diagram, testing procedure etc. Once you narrow down which wire/connector/terminal is the problem, rewiring is easy.

But here is my thought:
Your dealer is trying to blame you, by saying that the wiring is chewed by rats instead of faulty. If it is faulty, then dealer must replace it under warranty rite?

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Are we talking about conventional or HID?.
There is only one wire for the high beam (if everything else is working).

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for your input.

I always take what the dealer says with a grain of salt. Seems convenient to blame a rodent, huh?

I have the HID lights. Maybe an easy fix???

Mark

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
It is a blue wire, goes to pin 4 on the headlight connector. I suggest you remove the inner fender liner and inspect things there.

·
4,664 Posts
I think you were talking to the rat...

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
think I concur with jaak, one of our senior ratologists.

Homer

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
If he has the HID lights, then isn't there is only one bulb??

I thought the high/low beam on HID's were controlled by a shutter mechanism, not another bulb.

·
5,268 Posts
MVTCFP said:
If he has the HID lights, then isn't there is only one bulb??

I thought the high/low beam on HID's were controlled by a shutter mechanism, not another bulb.
Yes, you are right. Only one bulb. Light beam is controlled by a sort of shutter mechanism.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Can this mean that the "eaten wire" prognosis may be incorrect/bogus??

This is interesting.

I never got a chance this weekend to look at the wire(s) - I had a desert trip with the ATV's (The Murano pulls great!) on Saturday, and a LegoLand trip on Sunday.

I am worn out.

Thank for your replies!

Mark

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
Very likely...

Can this mean that the "eaten wire" prognosis may be incorrect/bogus??
Wire chewed by rat==> your fault, not cover under warranty
Wire burned out /terminal contact loose shorted ==> nissan warranty

See what the dealer trying to do? ;)

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
What I think his problem is is that the shutter on the left side isn't working, and the headlight stays on low beam. Still, as I said previously, check that GREEN (my error on previous post) wire (and its fuse - 10A #84)!
OOPS! He has a 2004. Will someome with a 2004 manual check the wire color, etc please.

·
Registered
53 Posts
According to the Service Manual for the '04 model, the Left Hand highbeam is controlled by a 10A fuse, #74 in the fuse block on the passenger side of the engine compartment in the front between the engine and the grill. Should be the Green wire going into the LH headlight (low beam would be "L", lavender maybe? my brain is fried and I can't think of an "L" color....)

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
In defense of the dealer (and I don't defend Nissan dealers very often) perhaps its the wires to the shutter mechanism that was chewed hence the reason for the bulb working in low beam.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Are there any things I should keep it mind before I rip the fuse box out?

Heck, How DO I rip the fuse box out????

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Are you sure that is where the problem is? No voltage on the headlight assembly? No other problems? Sounds like a pretty selective rat!
If this were mine, I would check the voltage on the green wire at the headlight first, and work back from there.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts