Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have an 04 SL AWD on order and have read about the theft problem of SE's xenon lights. This piqued my curiosity. If I simply replace the light assembly from my SL with those of the SE, will I have a working set of xenon lights? My understanding is that a ballast is required, which I assume is not in the headlight assembly but is a separate part. If this works, I will have my dealer order and install the xenon lights on my vehicule when it comes in.

·
British Cat Juggler
147 Posts
As far as I'm aware, I am the one and only Mo owner to lose a set of Xenon headlights. (see thread: warning HID owners)

I have an SL model, and xenon (or HID) headlights came as part of one of the option packages. Someone brighter than me will tell which one it was.

As for fitting them aftermarket, they run at least $750 plus tax each, and you may need to buy separate wiring harness and ballast. I have yet to discover if the Murano lights were designed to incorporate the anti-theft modifications made to the 01 & 02 Maxima. If they were, I guess no one told my thieves and they are now proud owners of 2 glass boxes and 4 xenon bulbs.

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
There are 3 components in HID setup:

- HID bulbs (D2S or D2R type), usually OEM HID use 4100K or 6000K
- ballast, one for each bulb.
- projector headlight.

If you decide to skip the projector headlight, it is believe that the beam pattern of HID will be mess up. Like the 1999 acura TL's hid and earlier mecedez benz xenon. They are non projector. They are going to be really bright for sure.

The cost? OEM usualy charge a lot: $750 for hid + ballast, $1400 for the projector headlight

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
1. The ballast IS in the headlight assembly.
2. The HID headlight assembly has a mechanical shutter to control low/high beam.
You can't put a HID bulb in a non HID assembly and get hi/lo beam

·
British Cat Juggler
147 Posts
Are you sure the ballast is in the headlight assembly? My dealer told me the murano was designed like the new maxima to make it less attractive to thieves (for all the good it did me!)

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I just went all through my shop manual and can't find a separate ballast. I believe it is referred to as the HID control Unit, which is inside the lamp assembly.

·
British Cat Juggler
147 Posts
Just another example of Nissan dealer in-depth product knowledge. I don't know why more of them don't visit this and other owner sites. Between us we know more than everyone except the factory, and even them in the case of SAT radio.

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
You can retrofit OEM

xenon HID headlight system to your halogen murano?

Jack and me (with ekaxel's and jaak's help) did it.
See the thread here:

replacement HID headlight

·
Registered
170 Posts
A side question on this topic....

Wouldn't thieves who are stealing entire headlight assemblies tend to set off the anti-theft alarm? It seems to me that such a theft would be pretty risky for the thief.
:14:

·
Registered
466 Posts
The alarm only goes off if the doors are opened. Maybe the hood too. Havent checked on that. There is no shock sensor. For that one guys MO that was jacked, it looked like they just pryed the housings out of the body....causing severe damage to the fenders/hood.

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
I know, yet after retrofitting the oem hid headlight...

i immediately take picture, report it to my insurance company and reduce my comprehensive deductible from $500 to $250.

So now, if those thieves wanna steal, then go ahead. At least it is only $250 :). And i got rental reimbursement as well.

The only regret when i bought my mo, was no HID. Now, that remorse is gone :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts