Nissan Murano Forum banner

Headlight Washers

4K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Centurion 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

This is my first post here. I've been reading the posts in the different forums and they are quite interesting. I am a Nissan fan and I'm driving my third Pathfinder. My lease is up at the end of Oct. and I've decided on a 2005 Murano SE in pearl. One item that I decided on years ago was that my next vehicle must have Zenon headlights. My partner just got the Volvo XC90. It has a fantastic headlight washing system.

Up here in snow country our headlights get covered by the salty brine they throw on our roads to melt the ice. Dosen't do to much good to have strong headlights if they get covered with that stuff every ten blocks. All the European cars have them and I just noticed them on a Lexus 330. I wonder if we could adapt a system to put on the Murano. It may even be an option in Japan or the new Euro Murano.

Any suggestion welcom.

#3 ·
You are comparing a vehicle with traditional mounted headlights to a vehicle that has a huge sweeping headlight cover.

The XC90 headlights present a vertical face to the front.
It is childs play to mount wiper/washers on lights of this type.

The Murano headlight cover is nearly horizontal for most of its travel.
I can't begin to comprehend how wipers would work on such an arrangement. But it might be possible to mount some sort of washers. Seems that it might end up looking like a kluge tho.

Obviously the Murano is better looking (Although being better looking than a Volvo is no big deal) but may not be as practical in the real world mess of ice and snow and slush.

Many here are from Canada and Northern US and I have never heard any complaints about this particular issue.

BUT, If it is VERY important to you, you need to buy the Volvo IMO.

I know I have ignored red flags when buying cars myself, and lived to regret it.
(Got a GREAT deal on a New Tbird Super Coupe and bot it. I Knew that black didn't work down here and that they were hot and always looked dirty......but I ignored these problems........
What a great car!
Sold it after 1 year.
It was hot............. and dirty most of the time.) :rolleyes:

Homer

#4 ·
Some of the newer headlight washers don't use a wiper but rather, a water jet which sprays heated detergent onto the headlight lens. That said, I have found that the curved lens of the Murano does not tend to accumulate much dirt, although I can imagine in very messy situations, the front can get mucked up.

#5 ·
and it is always interesting looking at how the body lines affect how the dirty rainwater flows down the length of the car. like a poor-man's wind tunnel.

#6 ·
I definitly wasn't talking about wipers. The Volvo and most new systems use high presure jets. I do understand the sloping stile of the Murano lights and I think that it it would be cleaned by jets. It may seem funny to you guys down south but up here in cold country we have to deal with this salt spray that turns into a white caking over your whole car. It's like putting a frosted glass over your lights. Yes we do clean our lights before leaving, but on the express roads you don't get far befor they're coated again.

They know this in the colder countries like Sweden and Germany and yes even Japan.

I had cars with spray systems not wipers and the worked great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.