Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Headlight glaze--OFF gets it off!
At first I didnt believe this, thought it was quackery but tried it and it works fantastic! I have tried a kit by Meguiars, had the dealer try removing it which didnt work. My wife indicated our Grandaughter had said to try bug spray OFF.
I smiled and chuckled but eventually tried it and IT WORKED! Sprayed it on, being careful not to to get any on the paint, rubbed it off and the lens is now clear. Bloody amazing.:eek:
The 2007 Murano headlights looked terrible and made the looks of the vehicle look not so hot. I was quite close to purchasing headlight kits that someone had mentioned but glad I didn't. That would have been big $$.
If you have the same problem, hope it works for you. Cheers./Bill
**It worked just fine for me but I naturally can't guarantee the same results for you. If you do decide to try it, try it on a small area and make sure not to get any on the paint or other lens portions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Caution! This seems to work at first but there can be a reaction that will later cause the lens to craze, or look like little spider web cracks all over it. If that happens it is not repairable. Not saying it will definitely happen but I have seen this on other plastics. Check back in a few weeks.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Caution! This seems to work at first but there can be a reaction that will later cause the lens to craze, or look like little spider web cracks all over it. If that happens it is not repairable. Not saying it will definitely happen but I have seen this on other plastics. Check back in a few weeks.
Yes I agree it is worth being careful and that is what I suggested in my post. However in my case, the hazing was so bad that I had no alternative other than purchasing new lens at an extremely high cost, and at this point there are no harmful effects and it has worked very well. Cheers.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hey se2007 if you’re still out there. How did the OFF method work for you in the long run? Did you reseal it afterwards?

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
Hey se2007 if you’re still out there. How did the OFF method work for you in the long run? Did you reseal it afterwards?
I use the toothpaste-colglate white - and elbow grease once or twice a year. About 1/2 hour of rubbing per lens. It gets easier after the first removal. Never tried OFF because I don't have any. But the Colgate works wonders. Its just like waxing your car chore. I have not tried sealing with clear coat because I heard it still turns yellowish after a while. So why bother spend money on clear coat if you have to remove it later again. I don't mind the exercise.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I take it that you have completely removed the factory clear coat and do this yearly (or semi annually). Mine aren’t that far gone “yet”. I believe my car has spent most of it’s early life in a garage. I will completely remove once it gets real bad.

·
Super Moderator
8,592 Posts
A suggestion for those who have cleared the headlights, and by doing so, removed any factory finish - I haven't done it, but I think you can avoid the need to re-do the clearing process if you buy 3M headlight film and install it over the headlights. That should provide a nice, longer lasting finish.

·
Registered
2003 Nissan Murano SE AWD
279 Posts
I didn't have peeling on my headlight, just fog and yellowing. A few years ago, my original passenger-side headlight started yellowing and fogging, so I began rubbing Marvel Mystery Oil over it and leaving on a thin layer and the lens looked almost new in a short period of time. As soon as I washed my car, the lens would look a little foggy and slightly yellow again, so I reapplied Marvel Mystery Oil and it looked perfect again. As of today, the yellowing seems to be gone for good, but I do get a light haze on certain parts of the lens, so I just hit it with some Marvel Mystery Oil. I think my headlight is the best it's ever going to look unless I do the longterm process of wet-sanding and applying a layer of clear coat. I could do that, but why bother when the lens looks this good at virtually no cost and little effort to me?

I had tried spray silicone, WD-40, etc, but found MMO to be better at keeping away the problems for a longer period.

Here's a video of the current condition of my headlight...

Incidentally, my headlight yellowed/hazed during one Summer of keeping it parked at a marina where I was working on my sailboat. That side of the car was always facing the sun, while the driver's side was facing the boat. The long sun exposure, combined with salt air, probably caused it.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Thnx Cryo,
I attached pics of mine for the benefit of the forum. Mine has no yellowing, just peeling. I have a 2007 owned for 6 months. I believe it was garage kept at least 3 or the last 4 owners. Now is relegated to the outdoors of Dallas TX.
One other comment. Thankfully I don’t have all the rust and corrosion that I’ve seen on many other discussions. All previous owners were from California & Texas. No road salts and high elevations. Just flat f rolling hills.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,592 Posts
My issue was yellowing not peeling. But removing the peeling via toothpaste should work.
That's essentially what most of the headlight de-clouding kits are...very mild abrasive to remove the damaged material.

But unless there's a protective coating or material put on after the cloudiness is removed, it happens again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts