Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried to adjust the beam height of your headlights?
I'm not talking about the manual levering controls.

What I am taking about is adjusting the actual headlight assembly.
I want to adjust both headlights (HID)
1) for both to point a little bit higher
2) for both to project a little bit more even (right beam and left beam.) What screws should I tighten or loosen to achieve this?

Pictures and directions please.

Purpose:
HID headlights at "0" position has such a big contrast (bright beam area /dark road ahead) IMO It's very dangerous. By adjusting the headlight assembly to point a little bit higher, the distance of the beam will increase in distance and lessen the contrast between bright and dark. (in my theory) And I'm not talking about the beam point really high.

But what about oncoming traffic?

With so many SUVs and raised vehicles on the road... I think everyone is used to headlights beaming in our faces.

Our safety and our Murano's safety comes first right?

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
If you look behind the headlight assembly, there are aiming bolts for both vertical and horizontal adjustment. With the sharp cutoff of the HIDs, it should be easy to turn one bolt a quarter turn in either direction to see which way it adjusts the beam.

As for your idea that brighter lights = safer drive, well if an oncoming car is blinded by HIDs (whcih are a lot brighter than high mounted halogens on SUVs and Trucks) who is to say they won't lose control and hit you head on? It is NEVER acceptable to aim the beam so high so that it blinds oncoming traffic.

That said, you can adjust the stock height a little higher up (just a bit) without blinding other cars. I did that, and my cutoff now is almost exactly at the top of trunk level for a car in front of me (i.e. not shining through rear window into rear view mirror).

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"By adjusting the headlight assembly to point "a little bit higher,.." "... And I'm not talking about the beam pointing really high."
Thanks for the help but I don't recall saying "brighter lights" = safer drive

Do you have before and after pictures? I've done searches and apparently owners of FX's and G35's have done this due to the same problems I'm experiencing.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
The big problem is when you are not on level ground. When on a downslope you get less ahead light and the opposite on a upslope. In varying terrain, it can drive you nuts!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Someone on this forum already tried this and I remember them saying something about the beam pattern being "off" after it was raised. I think he was trying to level out the left headlight with the right. (If you look at the cutoff, the left is slightly lower) Hondas/Acuras headlights have a cutoff that goes from lower left to upper right. (Prevents blinding of oncoming traffic, and lighting of roadsigns at a distance.) I think Nissan should have done the same thing.

Someone also mentioned the downslope and how it is difficult to see. This is true. Toyotas/Lexus' have automatic headlight leveling that prevent this--another feature Nissan should adapt!

·
Custom Knife Creations
293 Posts
Dookie:

Nissan did do the same thing. it;'s just not a gradual slope. it's a "step" the right hand side it higher so you can see the road signs better without blinding the drivers on the left side.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts