Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hearing engine/belt/ noise from inside cabin. could this be pinging?

I noticed this noise after my last fill up at 89 octane

Mo use to be so quiet.
When I first got her, I was amazed at how quiet she was. From inside the cabin, I couldn't tell if the engine was running or not.

I had my alternator replaced in August.

The noise sounds like the engine/alternator belt running to a low tick/pinging. Its still quiet, but compared to before I can really notice this and its driving me insane.
Any one else experiencing this?

I called my Nissan dealership and told this to the the service advisor.
He was trying to feed me a bunch of bs, from "could be somethingi nside your cabin IE coins or loose stuff vibrating" to it's always like that, you just haven't noticed."

Seriously, sounds like the belts.

When I'm driving, I can't tell because the engine is reving.

Once I have her in park, or at a red light, I can hear the noise.

** Could this be pinging noise?

I noticed this noise after my last fill up at 89 octane.

But i've always been using 89/91 octane depending on gas price.

Any advice/suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Could be pinging, but pinging should not occur at idle if it is not going to happen under load.

Buy your next tank somewhere else tho, just to be sure. A station that sells a lot of gas.....

One of the strange ones, is the noise that the pump on the active motor mount, makes. Sometimes sound like a belt running.

And of course, I would check out the alternator.
THIS IS NOT EASY. The Alternator is buried and it is dangerous to fool around with it when it is running.
But, If you can get your hands on a cheap stethoscope you can sometimes track down noises pretty easily. They make an auto steth also. It has a metal probe, but other than that it is a steth just like Dr Feelgood uses.

If you don't want to do that, use a screwdriver.

Get a big screwdriver and place the tip against the
Part and put your ear against the top of the handle.
You should hear plainly noises emanating from whatever you have the tip against.

Hope this helps.
Gremlin noises are among the toughest.......

Homer

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
It might also be something as simple as a slipping accessory belt. Maybe they did not tighten the belt tensioner properly when they installed the new alternator.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the noise is not getting louder.
i was out all night with mo, and the noise got louder and sounds like its coming wither from the engine area or underneath the car.
Kinda like its vibrating.
i have an appointment on tuesday.
hope whatever it is, is covered under waranty.

thanks

·
Registered
155 Posts
I had this very problem/noise and it turned out to be something a bit odd.... It was only noticeable at low RPM....it was first diagnosed as a bad alternator belt tensioner pulley. They got the part in and then discovered that actually the alternator tensioner belt BRACKET was broken. There had been no work done on the laternator previously.

Pinging makes a very differnet noise.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
took mo in yesterday.

i was told it was the fuel line dampeners, which they ordered riight away. left her there and had their suttle service drop me off at work. i alway mentioned about the rocking drivers seat.

picked her up after work and the humming noise was gone.
guess the mechanic nailed it.

regarding the rocking chair, the mechanic took it for a test drive and noticed a slight rocking. he ordered the parts required to fix it and will call me when its in. he even notied on the work order form that it is under tsb.

first time i've been impressed at a nissan dealer since i might mo.

hope this keeps up.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
"fuel line dampeners"??

Never heard that one before. I would have asked for the parts just to see what they were.

Has any else heard of or seen a fuel line dampener? Is that like a hydraulic accumulator?

-njjoe

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Yeah, it is often called a pulsation damper.
I "think" it started with the Turbine guys.
I think it is on all FI engines.

It's like an air trap as used on your house plumbing.
Kind of a air shock absorber.
Typically just a little coupling on the end of fuel rail.
Inside there is a diaphragm that separates the fuel side from the trapped air side.
I suppose if the diaphragm went bad.......

It smooths out the pulsations in the fuel line and gives smooth fuel flow.

Never even heard of one going bad.

Homer

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well, whatever they did, it worked.

I've never heard of it either.

when i asked one of the service advisor, he had a hard time explaining it.

he was trying to tell me it was like clamps on the fuel line.

Well..whatever the tech did it worked.

Now, just waiting for the parts to fix my rocking chair to come in.

LOL

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
If its the fuel pressure regulator I am not surprised. Its not that common, but we've had three or four cases here (I think) where the dealer has had to replace it. The usual symptom is a ticking noise.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Eric L. said:
If its the fuel pressure regulator I am not surprised. Its not that common, but we've had three or four cases here (I think) where the dealer has had to replace it. The usual symptom is a ticking noise.
what does it sound like? i hear noise that is similar to that produced by a bicycle chain when changing gears...

·
Registered
206 Posts
You know after I had my alternator replaced it seems like I hear a ticking noise also. More so when I accelerate. I wonder if it could be the same problem. It does sound like it is comming from the front right part of the engine. Also I don't seem to notice it as much when it warms up. :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
I still have this squeel/ZZZZZ noise but it starts exactly at 2200 rpm, doesn't matter the gear or speed. It is a studdering "peeeee" when coming into its rpm zone and a "errrrrr/ZZZZZ" mixture when it is full on at 2300-2350 rpm. It does irk me because it is in a sweet spot on accel from dead stop, not too aggressive, not too wimpy. Makes me either baby her more or rev her more. I think it may be something vibrating and is sympathetic to that harmonic of the rpm.
One day maybe I will get the dealer to check, maybe on my next oil change.
:confused:

·
Registered
29 Posts
mgthe3 said:
I still have this squeel/ZZZZZ noise but it starts exactly at 2200 rpm, doesn't matter the gear or speed. It is a studdering "peeeee" when coming into its rpm zone and a "errrrrr/ZZZZZ" mixture when it is full on at 2300-2350 rpm. It does irk me because it is in a sweet spot on accel from dead stop, not too aggressive, not too wimpy. Makes me either baby her more or rev her more. I think it may be something vibrating and is sympathetic to that harmonic of the rpm.
One day maybe I will get the dealer to check, maybe on my next oil change.
:confused:
I've realized an engine noise under hard acceleration, obv more than the actual engine noise, but a sort of whine... similar to what I've heard described by owners of Turbo equipped cars... a whine/whirrr.. is this normal? Most often heard when passing on the highway or merging onto the Highway... high rpm, yet not redline or all that close to the redline... Anyone else?

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
TheBar2k said:

I've realized an engine noise under hard acceleration, obv more than the actual engine noise, but a sort of whine... similar to what I've heard described by owners of Turbo equipped cars... a whine/whirrr.. is this normal? Most often heard when passing on the highway or merging onto the Highway... high rpm, yet not redline or all that close to the redline... Anyone else?
Maybe its the sound of the variable intake manifold? That was a shot in the dark....

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had a similar non descript noise to what is being described in this thread.

It turned out to be a broken alternator bracket.

Noise was RPM dependant.

Might be worth checking.

Steve

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Thanks Steve, it could be my problem. I will make sure the Mech checks it on my next oil change. It makes sense that it could be it because of the sympathetic RPM chatter.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just had fuel dampner kits installed for what I described as a low-pitched, fast, rattle noise. It worked. Technician said they've done 5 or 6 of these replacements that he recalled.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
bjagos, are you saying that you had your fuel dampeners replaced?
Or are yo saying that the Murano never had any, and you had them install a kit?

If the Murano doesn't have Fuel dampeners (pulsation damper), it would be in a very select group of Fuel Injected cars that didn't have them...........
As I mentioned in an earlier post, fuel dampeners are considered very common and are found on the fuel rail.

Homer

1 - 20 of 33 Posts