Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last time I drove and had the heater on my murano, I noticed a faint smell like that when you first turn on the heater at home. Not quite burning but similar? It went away after a while though. Anyone experienced that in their cars? I never get any smell with my AC on. It’s always clean. Only with the heater this one time. This is the second time I used the heater since I bought my car back in April this year.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
We all have different degrees of sensitivity to odors... I don't smell anything when my '19s heat is on. I wouldn't be concerned by a faint odor. If over time it progressively becomes more noticeable, then I would be concerned...

Reactions: misshely

·
Registered
824 Posts
When the heat is on, it's mixing "fresh" air from outside to bring into the cabin. It's possible that something outside (another car, a nearby chimney, someone burning leaves) was the source of the smell. If you're smelling it all the time in different locations, maybe something is burning under the hood. Maybe you've got a mouse/chipmunk nest somewhere and they're randomly rebuilding it and it smolders when the engine heats up (probably not...just kind of kidding...kind of.) :)

Does it smell like burning plastic or new electronics being heated for the first time? I know whenever I use ICC going through a school zone, the smell of new generator brushes breaking in emerges for a few seconds.

Reactions: misshely

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
When the heat is on, it's mixing "fresh" air from outside to bring into the cabin. It's possible that something outside (another car, a nearby chimney, someone burning leaves) was the source of the smell. If you're smelling it all the time in different locations, maybe something is burning under the hood. Maybe you've got a mouse/chipmunk nest somewhere and they're randomly rebuilding it and it smolders when the engine heats up (probably not...just kind of kidding...kind of.) :)

Does it smell like burning plastic or new electronics being heated for the first time? I know whenever I use ICC going through a school zone, the smell of new generator brushes breaking in emerges for a few seconds.
It actually does kinda smell like new electronics being used for the first time. Kinda like when you haven’t used your house heater for months and turn it on again during the winter. But once I got close to the vents and sniffed, I didn’t smell anything. Air smelled clean 🤷🏼‍♀️

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it's the first time the heat has been turned on in a long time it could be the smell of accumulated dust on warm components. That's what happens to my furnace in the house when it gets turned on in the fall.
Yes! That’s how it happened. I sniffed the faint smell and it went after a while. I also hadn’t used the heater AT ALL since I bought my car in April only once like 2 weeks ago. So I thought it was cuz I hadn’t used it much. But then I got close to the vents to smell and I didn’t smell anything. The air smelled clean 🤷🏼‍♀️

·
Registered
4 Posts
Last time I drove and had the heater on my murano, I noticed a faint smell like that when you first turn on the heater at home. Not quite burning but similar? It went away after a while though. Anyone Kodi nox experienced that in their cars? I never get any smell with my AC on. It’s always clean. Only with the heater this one time. This is the second time I used the heater since I bought my car back in April this year.
how old are ur filters

·
Administrator
9,270 Posts
7 months.. just bought the car in April. And it doesn’t smell anymore I think it was the area I was in that day.
Was it a new car, or used, and you assume they changed the filter when you bought it?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts