Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Yet another problem with my Murano.

Noticed today that when using heating, I am only getting hot air when the RPM is above 1000. Essentially only when I am accelerating. When I sit idle, the temperature slowly turns to cold.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I assume the blower fan is operating properly, it's just the heat?

Have you checked your coolant level?

What does the heat gauge look like when this happens; does it fluctuate after you're warmed up (lower at idle, higher when traveling?) If so, maybe the thermostat is defective...

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Murano AWD
883 Posts
Sounds like there may be air in the cooling system that's getting trapped in the heater core and increasing engine speed pushes it out. Any sign of coolant leaking? Check coolant level in the radiator when engine is cold.

Reactions: MuranoSL2003

·
Super Moderator
1,097 Posts
Check the overflow after driving. If it doesn't change or get warm, you have too much air in the cooling system.

Too much air in the cooling system will prevent a strong enough of a vacuum from being created as it cools down, which is used to pull fluid back into the system from the overflow container to keep the radiator system totally full.

If you have air, you need to purchase a radiator fill funnel kit. Get's 100% of the air out of modern radiator systems. With the radiator cap actually lower then the water pockets in the cylinder heads on the Murano, it is impossible to remove the air without a funnel kit.

My older sister's Chrysler 200 had this issue. After two trips to her local mechanic who told her "no problem found", I went to her house with the funnel kit and watched the car suck up almost a gallon of anti-freeze. Her heating and random overheating issues have disappeared. No leaks were detected.

Good luck.

Have a good day.

Reactions: MuranoSL2003

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
That's awesome advice. I will look into the coolant levels. I'll buy the funnel as suggested, but before I do so, any problem with me undoing the coolant tank cap and running car on idle in driveway for 30 to 45 minutes to get air out?

Or can this introduce new problems?

No overheating issues whatsoever. Temps rise up and stay steady. Even when we had some pretty warm days not too long ago.

But I did have the radiator refilled as I damaged it when I drove over an large chunk of ice last year. Might be air in the line.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Taking the coolant tank cover off really won't do anything...

Idling with the radiator cap off while parked on an incline (with the front-end higher preferably) may help release an air pocket...

·
Super Moderator
1,097 Posts
Temps rise up and stay steady. Even when we had some pretty warm days not too long ago.
I'll bet that the actual temp is slightly higher then normal. Modern temp gauges are programmed to pretty much remain at the same position thru a 30 degree swing once it's reached operating temp. A normal engine can have a temp swing of 30 degrees under normal driving conditions. By dumbing down the needle movement, the auto manufactures cut down on complaints of their engines running hot.

Unfortunately, this results in a rapid and extreme temp showing up on the gauge long after the water temp is is approaching the danger zone, before the driver realizes that there is a overheating issue and most times, the damage is done!

I will also bet the whoever filled your radiator just filled the radiator and made sure the fluid was up in the overflow tank.

Good luck.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Hey all,

Yet another problem with my Murano.

Noticed today that when using heating, I am only getting hot air when the RPM is above 1000. Essentially only when I am accelerating. When I sit idle, the temperature slowly turns to cold.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
I do remember seeing a few posts related to heating, for us dealer had to replace all components in the driver seat. But it still not working properly, some parts are cold and some are worm, really bad setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,097 Posts
I do remember seeing a few posts related to heating, for us dealer had to replace all components in the driver seat. But it still not working properly, some parts are cold and some are worm, really bad setup.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unfortunately, his post has absolutely nothing to do with the heating of his seat. Are you replying to the proper post?

Have a good day.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As always great advice from everyone. Even the seat comment.

As for the heater, it seemed to be working fine today. Hmm I'm stumped. It definately wasnt working yesterday.

I'm gonna try the radiator cap option this weekend before I go out and buy the filler funnel kit.

If that doesnt work then I'll buy the kit. I'll keep you all posted.

·
Super Moderator
1,097 Posts
As for the heater, it seemed to be working fine today. Hmm I'm stumped. It definitely wasn't working yesterday.
Exactly how my sister's car was acting. Just saying!

Has the overflow level changed at all from when cold to hot? If no change, then another sign of air in the cooling system.

Good luck.

Have a good day.

PS If you were close to me, I'd just come over and bleed it out for ya.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Exactly how my sister's car was acting. Just saying!

Has the overflow level changed at all from when cold to hot? If no change, then another sign of air in the cooling system.

Good luck.

Have a good day.

PS If you were close to me, I'd just come over and bleed it out for ya.
Thanks for the offer. I'm hoping its just an air pocket in the system. I dont see any change in level or leaking. So most likely wasnt filled properly by the shop after fixing radiator.

I'll let it run without the cap for a bit this weekend and see if that helps.

Thanks once again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts