Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Mo Betta
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would appreciate it if someone with a Mo and a tape measure handy could measure the distance from the ground to the cargo area floor. Have an 85-90 lb. dog that I have been lifting into the back of my Xterra and am pretty sure the Mo is lower (probably significantly lower), but can't find specs for that measurement.

Told myself I would wait until the dogs are gone (16+ year-old Dachshund, almost 12-YO Great Pyrenees) before getting a new vehicle, and Xterra has less than 36K on it, but....

Did a dealer search this a.m. and found EXACTLY the vehicle I want (SL FWD, touring package, traction control and a few minor accessories, not black or white) in pewter/cafe latte, about $100 below invoice so now I have the "envie". Unfortunately, it's at a dealership that isn't very convenient, about 80 miles away on the OTHER side of New Orleans.

Haven't even driven one yet because I didn't want to want it so I'm getting ahead of myself....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Don't have mine yet, but using relative dimensions of a photo, where the known dimension is the 18" of the rim diameter, I'm calculating about 25.75" at level, from ground to cargo floor.

Hope this helps, and anybody with a yardstick and a t-square, feel free to confirm or deny on this =0)

·
Mo Betta
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dave,

That's probably pretty close to right. The X is about 30.5", but it feels closer to 6' when hoisting that dog!

I need a new vehicle like a need a hole in my head...

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
The Murano is also 30 1/2" from cargo bed to ground.

Homer

·
Mo Betta
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. Scratch that as one reason to get a Mo...

The Mo is 6 or 7" shorter than the X, but I guess the difference is above the cargo area.

·
Registered
32 Posts
have you ever seen those ramps they make for dogs to walk up into the back of an suv? thought this may solve your lifting problem.

·
Mo Betta
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've seen the ramps, but then you have to have a place to store them (in the vehicle), and the reviews I've seen have been mixed. I also considered a rotating step that fit on a receiver hitch, but this dog has arthritis and hip dysplasia so has trouble going up and down steps. I haul my dogs just about every weekend.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Can't dog jump on? Is it too heavy to jump? I am just wodering...
BTW.. My MO 2003 SE 2WD has 28.5 inc from gnd to floor height.

·
Mo Betta
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yoyash,

My dog has never been able to jump into the back of a vehicle, even before the hip dysplasia and arthritis. Pyrs are climbers, not jumpers. She has trouble going up and down steps, so jumping into the back is even less an option now than it was when she was much younger. She even climbs up onto the couch rather than jumping.

I think I'm going to have to make a trip to a nearby dealership with a tape measure...

·
Registered
48 Posts
well according to yoyash my estimate was only 3/4 inch off =0)

I read in a review just now that it's 30.4, but that was AWD. hfelknor has a 2WD and says it's 30.5.... maybe there's a weight difference, or the measurement is being taken out-of-square WRT the ground (either in the short or the long instance)?

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Here's a pix

Attachments

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
And another without moving

Attachments

·
Mo Betta
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is great! Visual aids. Thanks so much for taking the time to not only measure, but get photos and post them.

Definitely no advantage with the Mo over the X for lifting the big dog. (Lots of other advantages, but not that one.)

·
Registered
48 Posts
excellent, homer - thanks for the photos, now we're left with the differences in laden weight, tire pressure and even ambient temp (for the tires) to make up the difference.

Dij, I'd just assume 30" for your purposes, and perhaps a more compact folding ramp for the dog? (regardless of vehicle - it could store flush against the back of the rear seat in any case)

·
Mo Betta
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dog-related advantages of the X over the Mo:

*X is paid for.
*X has PetGuard installed, keepign dogs in the back where they belong.
*X has vinyl cargo area cover and neoprene seat covers.
*X isn't as "nice" as Mo.

Not to mention that my SO's dogs put their paws on the doors of the X and have scratched it pretty badly :mad:

But I found the exact Mo I want in an acceptable color and the price is just under invoice.... Decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
95 Posts
How about if you fold the one side of the back seat and let dog walk up to floor from rear door then on to seat then folded seat then to cargo area? Well... just a thought...

·
Mo Betta
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yoyash,

I do appreciate your efforts to help :), but I'm wondering how much experience you have with dogs, especially big dogs with arthritis and hip dysplasia. Even if she could manage it, I don't want to think about the leather seat would be subjected to! I suppose I could cover it with something, but she has trouble going up regular steps, and I think climbing into the back seat of the Mo would probably be more difficult.

I'll certainly keep your suggestion in mind when I visit the dealerships this weekend. It might be more practical than I'm thinking it is.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Our 12 year old lab has arthritis and could never get into the back of a Murano. I have to lift him into our Toyota Sienna which is very low to the ground (side doors).

The only thing I think would help is a ramp.

·
Registered
719 Posts
My 4 1/2 year old lab has trouble jumping in "cleanly" sometimes. I can't even imagine how bad she'll be in a few more years. See picture to the left.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts