Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guy my 2012 Murano has 184k and it was leaking oil I paid a shop to fix it they changed the valve cover gasket’s and it’s still leaking. Any help! I took a few picks of where the oil is sitting everytime after driving any thoughts?

Attachments

· Administrator
10,098 Posts

· Registered
2,366 Posts
The oil is the green liquid that’s , where it’s keep accumulating I used an UV light to highlight the oil.
The oil seems to be accumulating on top of the valve cover rather than around the edges and the last pic shows oil around the filler cap. If this presented itself after a recent oil change then I would say whoever refilled the crank case was really careless and didn't bother to clean up the spill afterward. But, if you think there really is a leak then I'd suggest checking the o-ring on the filler cap and looking for a possible crack in the valve cover itself. Also, something looks weird with the cam sensor as it looks like there's some sort of plastic coming out around the edges. If that's some half-assed attempt to seal it instead of using the proper o-ring then that could also be a vector for a leak.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Automotive design Synthetic rubber

· Administrator
10,098 Posts
^^^This. Oil runs downhill, so it's coming from above where you see it, or exactly where you see it. That pretty much limits it to a careless oil fill or leaking cap.

· Registered
1 Posts
It's likely that the oil leak is coming from another location besides the valve cover gaskets. I recommend bringing your vehicle back to the shop or seeking a second opinion from another mechanic to accurately diagnose the source of the leak and fix it accordingly.

· Registered
1,506 Posts
Also, something looks weird with the cam sensor as it looks like there's some sort of plastic coming out around the edges. If that's some half-assed attempt to seal it instead of using the proper o-ring then that could also be a vector for a leak.
Given the size and contours, it sort of looks like the tip of a latex glove. I wonder if they used it to seal something, or if the tip broke off duriing reinsertion and the tech never noticed...

What does the underside of the hood look like? Any noticable stains that may indicate where oil or a different fluid may be spraying from and then coming to rest on the valve cover?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts