Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice. My brother just bought a 2014 Murano with 127k from a public auction. The description in the auction stated the car has no issues and shifts through all gears. He won the bid and we went to pick the car up. Every thing seemed to go well at first, the car ran good, went into drive and reverse good, no engine codes.

It wasn’t until we got about 30 miles down the road we began seeing issues. When cruising at highway speed if you tried to accelerate it would quickly jump to 7k rpm to shift out.

Another 20 miles and it would barely move from a stop. I had the accelerator to the floor and the engine wouldn’t rev from an idle. The car would barely move and we made it the rest of the way home at about 30 mph.

My scanner showed code PO746 (Pressure Control Solenoid A).

Ive read a lot of similar posts on here, but I’m needing to know the most likely cause. The car is otherwise in good shape and runs like a sewing machine. My brother doesn’t have a lot of money right now (been through a divorce and downturn at work) and had to borrow the money from our elderly parents to buy the car. I can’t fault the auction company (it was clearly sold “as is” and it everything was working properly when it left the lot). It’s one of those worse case scenarios that I’ve always feared from auctions.

After the car cooled down after several hours it seemed to do well. So it only seems to happen when it gets hot.

I’ve seen where is could be as simple as changing a solenoid (or the whole valve body) to replacing the trans.

Also, I’m curious as to the acceleration issue. I had the accelerator all the way down and the engine was still at idle.
Is my problem a TPS or ECM issue, or transmission issue? Does the throttle go through the CVT first?

hoping for an easy fix.🤞🏻

·
Registered
1 Posts
Your CVT is probably overheating with old transmission fluid that was never changed and is limping out of gear to protect it. Do a drain and fill with the Idemitsu Type N fluid around $50 on Amazon and see how it fairs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your CVT is probably overheating with old transmission fluid that was never changed and is limping out of gear to protect it. Do a drain and fill with the Idemitsu Type N fluid around $50 on Amazon and see how it fairs.
Thanks for the reply. I finally got that stupid transmission dip stick loose and found the fluid was the color of motor oil 😳, which I know isn’t good. Fluid/filter change/flush definitely in the works. Just hoping there’s no damage.

·
Super Moderator
1,688 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I finally got that stupid transmission dip stick loose and found the fluid was the color of motor oil 😳, which I know isn’t good. Fluid/filter change/flush definitely in the works. Just hoping there’s no damage.
Do not let anyone do a power flush. That will bring crud up into places where it doesn't belong and will cause issues down the road.

You need to drop the pan and clean first. Also, the filter needs cleaning and the CVT fluid cooler running thru the bottom of the radiator need to be flushed also.

Replace the fluid with new CVT fluid that was lost when dropping the pan. Run for 100 miles and drop just the pan again. Replace fluid lost with new CVT fluid. Repeat once more.

This will replace about 90% of the fluid.

Good luck.

Have a good day.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts