Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help in finding ‘popping’ noise.

I have a popping noise that so far seems to be coming from the driver’s side upper pillar (were the shoulder belt height adjustment is).
As you drive you can hear it in your left ear. While trying to find the source of the popping, I sat in the back seat and heard nothing, but the person driving did.

Anyone deal with this type of popping from the upper pillar?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Mine has a snapping noise in the driver door, seems to happen on corners when the car flexs and my knee is on the door. I can recreate it by rolling the window down half way while stopped and pulling in and out on the inside door handle. Kind of a crackling noise. I think I read a post that said he took the inside of the door panel off and adjusted where bottom of the window is seated. Seems like a very common problem, I hope the dealer can do something as I am not about to take off a door panel.:confused:

·
4,664 Posts
mopat said:
Mine has a snapping noise in the driver door, seems to happen on corners when the car flexs and my knee is on the door. I can recreate it by rolling the window down half way while stopped and pulling in and out on the inside door handle. Kind of a crackling noise. I think I read a post that said he took the inside of the door panel off and adjusted where bottom of the window is seated. Seems like a very common problem, I hope the dealer can do something as I am not about to take off a door panel.:confused:
Yup, mine does it too... Maybe I'll ask when I take it in for service next. If they're useless, I'll fix it myself.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Yeah mopat, I get that too. It's widespread and ANNOYING!

I wish Nissan would develop a TSB for it. "Here's what to do to fix it" and my dealership wouldn't be able to be clueless about it.

·
'03 SE 2WD Cold Pkg, VDC
143 Posts
I've experienced this noise too. I called in "creaking". I noticed that I can replicate the noise by lowering the window a little and then pushing the window on the top from side to side. It sounds like tight tolerences. I noticed that the window guide on the passenger window has caused some marks on the window when it's dirty, evidence that it's pretty tight there.

I guess there's a adjustment in the window. Anyone have this corrected?

·
4,664 Posts
I'll take it in to see what they say. If they're clueless, I'll take it apart myself. Of course, there will be pictures! Looks like a common enough problem.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Seen that one on FA. and although I have not found the root cause of my popping noise. It does seem to be coming from the pillar not the window. Since move the window has no effect what so ever.

kinghemi said:
I found the description of the fix that was posted on FA. For more info go to FA - Re: squeaks & rattles #67481315 07/25/03

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just more information.

Found this on the FX35/45 site:

Metro Infiniti in Monrovia CA did the work, and short of some dirty footprints and some small interior door panel scratches, they seemed to have fixed the rattles.

From the work receipt:

-RATTLE IN RIGHT DOOR BY SHOULDER...LOOSE PANEL CLIPS
-RATTLE IN SEAT BELT AREA POSTS ON BOTH SIDES...LOOSE PANEL CLIPS

Same area from which my poping noise seems to be comig from.

Still waiting until 1st oil change to discuss with service area.

·
4,664 Posts
Looks like good info... I'll still make Nissan fix it, so they don't save on me doing warranty work. I will make them pay! (Insert evil laugh here...)

Replacing clips... Hmmm.. Could be it, could be an easy explanation for something else...

Can you see it?

We fixed the problem.

What was it?

Uh, we don't really know, but we took it apart, looked around and put it together and it seemed to stop.

Better put some clips on there, or they'll think we didn't do anything...

Yeah, you're right... Good idea. Besides, I broke one of them taking it apart!

Well hopefully it was just the clips!

·
5,268 Posts
Have something similar. It seems to be coming from passenger side pillar. It is annoying. Guess will have to do something about it at 7,000 service.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Me too, I just noticed a popping sound from the passenger side pillar as well. It happens only once in a while, but its so loud sometimes I think a rock hit my windshield.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What a relief! I thought I was the only one that had this popping sound coming from the drivers side door pillar. It happens to me on the way to work at the same place on the road everytime as I drive over an expansion joint. I hear it only once each day.

Very annoying.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea, my side pillar pops all the time. It’s sort of like water torture when it was popping just some of the time.

Well it ‘should’ be easy for them to find my problem.

·
5,268 Posts
I would not be so sure. With the dealers NOTHING is easy.......

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What was I thinking...

This is so true. Our Volvo before the MO had a rattle from the moon roof. It took over 6 mths to fix!

Just getting them to drive more than 5 feet to hear the problem took several times. I had to record the noise and ride with them.

Kris said:
I would not be so sure. With the dealers NOTHING is easy.......

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The report on my ‘popping’ noise.

Unfortunately the initial results were as expected. Dropped off the Murano and explained the ‘popping’ noise and that I wanted my oil/filter changed. Received a call that the car was ready but they could not hear any noise.

Picked up the car and said I’ll show you. Went on a test drive and the mechanic heard it. At first he said “it would take two people and a day to locate were that noise was coming from” To which I said fine that’s what I’m here for. They he wrestled with the upper B pillar cover and for a while the popping seemed to go away. But on the ride home it’s back.

Looks like I’ll have to either wait till another visit or tackle it my self. But at least it is in writing so that if it goes beyond a year I should still be covered as it was reported but not corrected.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
After yanking on the pillar cover he said to see if that helped otherwise bring it back in and hey would see about putting some tape (foam) in there.

Bottom line they were done until I pressed them and then they gave it a few more min. of time.

May try another dealer at next oil change.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts