Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am looking to buy a Murano and I need some input. I am debating between the SE and SL . I know that the SE has a stiffer suspension and since I am planning to put 20" tires on it I dont know if it would be better to go with the SL. I kinda wanted the manual shift mode of the SE though. does anyone have any opinions on the manual shift mode and how the 20" tires will affect the ride and handling of the SE and SL? Thanks. :)

·
Registered
466 Posts
Anytime you go to a larger wheel and smaller side wall, your ride will be bumpier. Question is how much? Some good tires have more flexible sidewalls than other. Toyo Proxies are on of the better tires SUV guys use nowadays. Also, whatever you buy, if the Murano has a Tire Pressure Monitoring System, the devices are part of the stem for the air and must be transferred to your new wheels. Some wheels wont accept these. Keep that in mind.

SE models do ride stiffer, so if you plan on going larger wheels, I would tend towards an SL because of the softer ride quality. Just my .02...:)

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea thanks Dookie. I probably am not going to opt for the VDC package just for that reason. I dont want to have to worry about the TPMS.

·
Registered
466 Posts
If I had to do it again, I don't know if I would get it either. It's just that it was part of the package in 2003 for VDC. Don't know if it is anymore or not. I know they changed some options around...

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea the TPMS still comes with the VDC package. Thats why I think I am going to leave out the VDC. I just want the Touring package which automatically includes the Sunroof package and the Premium package. Dookie what are your thoughts about the manual shift mode in the SE? Do you ever use it? How does it work?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Never tried it. I can't imagine it making the car faster. Maybe though. Then again...whos racing a Murano? That's what my turbo Lancer is gonna be for...:2:

EDIT: The '03's dont have manual shift mode.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh yea that's right that was new for 2004

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've got a 2004 SE with the premium package and no TPMS, I get the shift-tronic with it as well......I think it's a matter of preference......Occasionally I like to bang some gears out and blast off from the green, just to show the horseys..... I also enjoy curvy roads and wanted a little extra with my MO , so I opted for the SE.....
any increase in wheel size actually lowers performance and handling......it's really a matter of looks, so I think that you should test drive both and if you notice the difference then get what you like better..............

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
I was originally looking at the SE for two reasons:
1) Stiffer ride (better performance)
2) Manual Mode (I've always driven manual transmissions, so I wanted this feature)

HOWEVER, I rented a MO for a weekend, and all they had was an SL. After drivng that around for a couple days, I have decided that I no longer want an SE, I want an SL!

The Ds and DL settings on the SL surprised me with how drastically it changes the performance, and I prefer it to the manual mode (another big surprise for me). The ride is quite a bit smoother, and you don't give up nearly as much cornering performance as I had first anticipated.

I highly recommend spending some time in both models. Not just a 10 minute test drive, I mean spend some good time with it. Sure, fly around some parking lots and do some hard accelleration and passing on the freeway. But then just sit back and relax and take a nice hour-long drive. That's what really sold my wife on the vehicle. We drove up the pass into the mountains. She read her book on the way there while I drove and we switched places for the way back. Nice, quiet, and smooth, even when I would step on the accelerator and swerve around the slow-pokes.

I found that I did NOT miss the slight performance gain of the SE, and having the smoother ride is a big benefit. Of course, you might feel differently, but you should definitely make sure of what you're getting.

~ Corin

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've tried but I cant find anyone who rents Muranos in my area :(

·
Registered
20 Posts
I know Enterprise rents out MOs as will as FXs. There's one around the corner from my office and I see them in the lot all the time. Also, I went to a Nissan dealer in my neigborhood and they offered me a no obligation 24hr test drive on the MO!!:4:

So I would ask your local Nissan dealer too.

·
Premium Member
2,243 Posts
jaycen29 said:
I've tried but I cant find anyone who rents Muranos in my area :(
I used Enterprise. The only problem is that you can't have them reserve a MO for you. You just have to show up at their office (or give them a call right before you go) and ask if they happen to have one available at that time.

Do NOT make an actual reservation, because if you do and there are no MOs available, they'll make you take some other SUV since that is what the reservation is for (or you'll have to pay a cancelation penalty).

~ Corin

·
Registered
44 Posts
I second KoKoMo re asking the dealer for extended test drive...

My wife has an issue with seating comfort - we did an all-day Santa Rosa-to-Sacramento test drive (about 240 miles total) in the SL FWD that we ended up buying - no problem for Freeman Nissan in Santa Rosa, CA (probably since it clinched the deal...:)...!).

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have an SE with 20" wheels. The suspension is very controlled yet quiet and not abusive at all. Now that I have over 20K miles it has seems to have softened up a bit too. It has great balance, and great handeling. I am used to BMW's. The 20" wheels and tires "feel" a bit heavier than the foctory 18"er's; but it still rides remarkably better with the 20'ers than other friends suv's. It really needeed the 20's to fill up the wheel wells. The 18's looked too small for it, and I wasn't crazy about the styling of the SE wheels. I went to a 295/45R20 Falken tire. Huge, beefy, no rubbing, quiet and smooth. They are very close to the same diameter than the foctory 18"ers. I am very happy with my Murano for the $, but very unhappy with the service departments I have been to; and I am a pretty patient customer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts