Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i bought the magnetic bra about a year ago. been using it on and off great for the past year. the last time i put it on i ended up leaving it on for quite some time. i decided to take it off this past weekend and to my HORROR :eek: the hood was ruined. the magnetic bra peeled off areas of hood...looks like it took off the polish. either that, or pieces of the bra are caked onto my hood.

any ideas?

am i doomed to leave that bra on for the rest of life of the car?

HELP!!!!!! :(

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Take it to an auto body shop or a good paint shop (Not Maaco etc) .

One of the things that can be done is to put the hood under the lights to heat it up.
They have solvents that can clean the paint without damaging it further.
At that time anything that is ON the hood "might" come off.
Sorry to say, anything on the hood that is now OFF the hood, is gone forever.

Best thing to do is fix the hood and throw that damned bra away.
This is not the first, nor will it be the last time a bra has caused problems.
If people want these things (and there is no reason that a quality bra wouldn't give years of service), they really should maintain the paint under the bra on a regular basis.

Homer

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
This happens a lot when the bra is left on the car for a long time and not allowed to dry out after it gets wet (i.e. rain). The paint underneath the bra can get lazy. Now I do not know what material the magnet bra uses but the normal cloth bras usually have a flannel backing that doesn't harm the paint if you keep the car waxed. I believe all car bras come with warnings in the instructions that damage can occur if you do not take care of the paint underneath on a regular basis.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Magnet Bra

I quit using mine a long time ago. I was noticing a line across the hood where the bra stopped and I was having trouble buffing it out. I always removed mine in the rain or immediately after I was out in the rain with it. It got to be too much of a pain. Good luck with your hood.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I used to use a bra on a previous car... I was very carefull never to leave it on if it was gonna rain..... I see some leave it on all the time... you just can't do that with any bra.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Read my previous post on wet car covers

I think a search would find it. It is a bit long to reproduce here. In essence the water and rain washes the dust thru the cover or under the cover where it drys and is then a fine fine abrasive that is moved against the paint by the motion of the cover sanding the gloss off of the paint.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts