Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Murano is on empty, and I can't for the love of God get the gas flap-door to open!!!!

It's never done this before in the two years sense I bought it.

Also, it is Sunday and no dealers around that can help me!

Anyone know any special manual trick to open it if the electronics go bad?
:3:

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
Per another member

1. Open rear hatch.
2. Locate rubber gasket.
3. Gently lift gasket edge away from carpeted sidewall.
4. Lift carpeting enough to stick your paw in there.
5. Helen Keller your hand towards gas cap.
6. You will feel a smaller opening that your hand will fit through to allow access to the actuator.
7. When you feel the actuator (it feel about the diameter of a pencil) pull it towards the rear.
8. Gas cap should pop open, if not, while lifting actuator, press on the cap door like you normally would.
9. Fill 'er up.

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
Also try pushing on the lid and releasing it as you lock and unlock the doors using your keyfob.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, after reading the thread on this issue, tarring my storage tray out, and scratching my arm up, I finally got it open so I could get gas. What A PAIN!!!!

My 350Z at least has a manual switch. WTF was the problem with putting one on the MO?

I tried the WD40, and the lock went back and forth 20 times or so. I closed it up, and sure enough it stuck again, and I had to fettle with it to get it open again.

Needless to say, I guess I am going to have to get mean when I take my MO in for service tomorrow. I want all of it replaced, or all hell will break lose! I don't have the temperament for half-a$$ fixes at Nissan!!!

:3:

I guess the timing is good because I am due for my 30k service.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Why get mean at Nissan... is a known issue, they can fix it, its covered under warranty, its not their fault.

Geesh save it for something like when they say "we couldn't duplicate the problem and therefore could not fix it". Then you have my permission to go nuts. :4:

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Apparently this part fails enough its sold on at Courtesy Nissan's parts website now. That site is usually a good guage of common failures (and things you can replace yourself). A while back Courtesy had knock sensors and oxygen sensors on its site right before 4th gen Maximas had widespread failure of those components.

Courtesy Parts

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
It is just possible that sometimes when we fill the gas tank, we inadvertently hit the little metal flap on the gas door lid with the gas nozzle bending it slightly so the solenoid travel is no longer enough to clear it to unlock the lid. If you notice that the solenoid moves, you may want to try to readjust the metal tab just a bit to see if that cures the problem. If the slenoid does not move, then that is a different issue.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Eric L. said:
Apparently this part fails enough its sold on at Courtesy Nissan's parts website now. That site is usually a good guage of common failures (and things you can replace yourself). A while back Courtesy had knock sensors and oxygen sensors on its site right before 4th gen Maximas had widespread failure of those components.

Courtesy Parts
Gee, do they list any CVTs? :eek:

·
Registered
2 Posts
zebelkhan said:
It is just possible that sometimes when we fill the gas tank, we inadvertently hit the little metal flap on the gas door lid with the gas nozzle bending it slightly so the solenoid travel is no longer enough to clear it to unlock the lid. If you notice that the solenoid moves, you may want to try to readjust the metal tab just a bit to see if that cures the problem. If the slenoid does not move, then that is a different issue.

Heh. I did just that. I bent that tab back all the way so the gas cap doesn't lock. I will probably have it fixed at the next service but no way I'm going to go without my car for a day for this, only to have them just lube it.

BTW, do people actually go around siphoning gas out of your car any more. I mean, sure in the 70s there were some stories about this, but now that most cars have locking mechanisms on the gascap? Sure mine doesn't, but you can't tell that from the outside :2:

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Bateman said:

Heh. I did just that. I bent that tab back all the way so the gas cap doesn't lock. I will probably have it fixed at the next service but no way I'm going to go without my car for a day for this, only to have them just lube it.

BTW, do people actually go around siphoning gas out of your car any more. I mean, sure in the 70s there were some stories about this, but now that most cars have locking mechanisms on the gascap? Sure mine doesn't, but you can't tell that from the outside :2:
I too have accidentally bent that tab enough such that I had trouble closing the gas door. Usually its because I get my coat caught on it.

One thing I do like is that the gas cap is tethered to a plastic ring. I did not attach is securely to the indent on the door and it kind of fell, but just swung there. At the same moment, a guy at the next pump with a brand new black 4Runner Limited had the same thing happen, and his gap cap fell on the ground and rolled under his car! :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Gonzo said:
Why get mean at Nissan... is a known issue, they can fix it, its covered under warranty, its not their fault.

Geesh save it for something like when they say "we couldn't duplicate the problem and therefore could not fix it". Then you have my permission to go nuts. :4:
In the main thread on this issue I read that most MO owners who brought their cars in for a fix on this, got the ole "lube it" and see if that will do.

Nissan recently did the same thing on my 350Z rear hatch spring, and now I have to bring it back AGAIN because they didn't do what I told them to do (replace the faulty part). I don't have the time to take my two $35k cars into the shop every time Nissan doesn't want to fix the problem in the first place.

This is a common practice by Nissan to not want to fix the problem, but just remedy it. And it happens ALL the time.

There is a reason why people get yelled at today, and it's not because the customer likes yelling. It just happens to be the ONLY way to get anyone to do their fricken jobs!!!

Lazy ass customer service is job 1# today! :eek:

·
Registered
282 Posts
It really just comes down to the dealer's willingness to take care of their customers. Here is how my most recent visit went at Perry Nissan in Columbia, MO. Though, I did not purchase the car from them, I've always gone to there for service and accessories, since it is close to my office.

The fuel door lock actuator failed on my MO a few weeks back. Fortunately, it failed in the unlocked position. I took the car in for an oil change on May 3rd. Mentioned the lock problem to the service manager. He looked at it while I was there as he said he didn't know how the fuel door lock worked on the Murano. After seeing it not functioning, he immediately said they would order the part. He calls me back on May 10th to say the actuator is in and asks me to bring the MO in, as soon as convenient. I took it in on Friday the 13th, they replaced the lock and even gave the MO a wash.

This has been Perry Nissan's typical manner of service.

That is Customer Service from a dealer who wants your business!

Reactions: Murana

·
Registered
2 Posts
gas cap

This happend to me too. They tried to pry it open and had to take off the whole side panel. I have yet to recieve a call about getting a new part.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My gas cap will not close (my first fill-up after taking it out of the dealership) just the opposite of your problem.

Took it back to Nissan Elk Grove and they replaced
the whole thing. They took the cap assembly from one of the MO's on the lot (since they did not have he part on hand).

I wonder who was the unfortunate one who got no gas cap on their new MO.

·
4,664 Posts
chita1987usa said:
My gas cap will not close (my first fill-up after taking it out of the dealership) just the opposite of your problem.

Took it back to Nissan Elk Grove and they replaced
the whole thing. They took the cap assembly from one of the MO's on the lot (since they did not have he part on hand).

I wonder who was the unfortunate one who got no gas cap on their new MO.
Now that's dealer service... Why can't more of them be like that? The new MO will get a new part, you're happy, the other customer still gets a new vehicle with all new parts.
:)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Dealer response typical...

Dealer wanted to order a part and take the car back in for service, yeah like I need to lose another couple hours of my life sitting in a service waiting room. I broke the small actuator clip off and the cover does not lock but I don't look like an idiot trying to get the door open at the gas pumps anymore...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Gas Lid Will Not Open!!! Happened to me tonight (9pm) at Costco Gas. Fortunately, station was not busy, so for 15 minutes, I tried in multiple ways to execute the 2 suggested methods in the manual to get the gas lid to open. Very annoying that there is no manual way to open it. Gave up.

Thanks for all the help I found in this thread.

I will try the "hand under the sidewall carpet" in the morning. Is there any way to verify if the Gas Filler Lid Actuator is the problem? How do you get to it? I image the left rear side panel must be removed 1st to get to the actuator. Are there "how-to websites" available?

Thanks in advance for any additional help.

Update 6/28/07: The next day, I decided sticking my hand through the left rear panel might end up being difficult to do, so I called New City Nissan (my dealer of purchase) service dept, explained the problem, and was told to bring the car in & the srv mgr would show me how to manually open up the gas lid.

Took car in at 1:30pm (6/21/07). Srv mgr proceeded to remove the left side of rubber gasket for the hatch opening, pulled on the left rear panel to expose the 2 retainer clips, which he pulled out of the holes of the metal wheelwell. He stuck his hand into the opening, located & pulled on the tab on the actuator, causing the latch to slide back into the actuator releasing the catch on the gas lid. The tab & the latch are actually one long shaft through the actuator assembly. The process was not difficult once you are show how. The srv mgr advised me that the problem was probably the relay located behind the side panel to the left of the steering column, rather than the actuator and would cost around $70 total. I ok'd the repair. The relay cost $25.52 & the labor was $35.70, total of $68.07 with tax. I was in & out in 40 min. The gas lid opened like a charm. I was happy & proceeded on to Costco Gas. Great service & a Happy ending.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Door Flap Strikes Again

My 2003 MO has been having this problem on and off again for about 3 months now. The dealer recommended turning the key to the on position (not started) and then repeatedly pushing the door lock button with the door open. It works for me, but I told him I look like an idiot at the gas pump. Besides, I live in California and I get mad enough paying for premium gas at prices higher than the rest of the nation, I don't need any help!

I finally got the call from Nissan stating that the parts are in. Apparently there's an actuator at the gas lid and a solenoid (sender) item located by the fuse box area that get replaced. It is covered under warranty as mentioned earlier. They said it would take them about 2 hours... we'll see.

:3: :p

·
Registered
276 Posts
OK, I am confused. Is this an on-going problem with Mo's?? I have it on my to-do list when the car comes in for them to teach me how to open and close all Mo orafices.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Problem solved....

I had that issue with my '03 MO with only fumes left in the tank and with my two young kids in the car. I was so frustrated after calling the dealer from the gas station with no help what-so-ever. Where's the sense of not having any back-up for electrical issues-espcially when it comes to getting fuel in your car:mad:

Anyway; it did manage to open after 10-15 mins of open-close-open-close on my key fob. When it did open; I said never again.....

I bend the catch-latch on the inside of my filler door and that's how she stays:29:

1 - 20 of 63 Posts