Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed the Nissan trailer wiring harness kit by the instructions. I decided to test it on my trailer before I put all the panels back together and it did not work.

I do not have the factory frame hitch but instead had a valley hitch installed a few days ago. I installed the trailer wiring harness today. When I backed it up to the trailer and hooked it up nothing worked on the trailer at all. It is 24 degrees outside and I do not know if that has anything to do with it. My trailer lights worked in October when I hooked it up to a chevy pickup.

Any ideas? Has anyone had this happen to them? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes both are connected. Since I posted this I went over and borrowed my neighbors voltmeter. I used the DC selection and hooked the black clip up to the ground plug on the end of the harness (part that hooks up to the trailer). I got just under 12 volts with the headlites on when i plugged in the red voltmeter connector to the headlamp plug. I also had my wife hit the brake pedal and I got a little over 12 volts on both the right and left tailight plug.

So I assume I am getting power to the end of the plug correctly although I have not used a voltmeter in a long time. Does this sound correct?

Maybe my ground on the trailer is corroded? Any ideas how to test the trailer wires?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, nothing was wrong with the wiring harness, it was my trailer. I purchaed a new trailer light kit at tractor supply and installed it and it all works good. I drilled holes in the valley hitch and installed the end of the nissan harness with the plate into the hitch so it looks real clean now for an aftermarket hitch.

·
Registered
12,512 Posts
jbh-

How about that! You were blaming your wiring job when the fault was with the trailer all along!

By the way, it wasn't you who previously wired the trailer, was it? :2:

-njjoe

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, it was wired by the manufacturer. It was a problem with the ground wiring on the trailer so it was easier to start over with new equipment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts