Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all those leather experts out there . . .

I would like to fix / improve some leather scaling on my MO steering wheel ('03 SE AWD purchased last month). Picture below.

I have tried multiple (10+) applications of Leatherique's oil rejuvenator and while the leather seems to continuously absorb the oil in these areas, it is now looking worse than before.

Any thoughts, suggestions or first hand experiences on removing such scaling?

Thanks in advance!
JDB

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Since your problem is not a deposit on the surface of the leather, but rather, leather that is worn away, you will probably need to repair the leather, not treat it.

I think an upholstery service could certainly apply a polymer coat in that area to cover up the damaged portions, but you might be left with a vinyl/rubbery feeling.

A safer bet might be to just put a leather wheel cover on top of that - I have a "wheelskins" brand on my Murano and I love the thick feel (its as thick as a BMW steering wheel now). It did not match up perfectly though, as you can see in my picture (its a little offset on the bottom spoke - I chose to match up the two side spokes for more symmetry on the part of the wheel I actually see). Its also not nearly as blue as in the picture - in real life its a dark blue that almost looks black (and looks great against my blue exterior).

Do a google on Wheelskins for more information.

Attachments

·
Registered
286 Posts
wheel cover would be the best bet, there is a seller on ebay where I bought not only the wheel cover but seat cover and seat belts pads with nissan logo in it that look and feel like leather.
here is the thread where I post picture of wheel cover.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
It took me over an hour to sew on the stitches for the wheelskin but in the end, I think it looks much better than a slip on wheel cover, but its your own choice. ;)

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Think I would go with the Wheelskin, but repair is not out of the question.

Here is a repair website.
YOu can call them.
You can use them.
Or you can print out some of their stuff and visit an upholstery shop......

http://www.leathermagic.com/

They even have Nissan colors.

Homer

Attachments

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Used to be this

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts