Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I found this site a few days ago when I started to look at the Murano. I am going to look at a 2004 SL with 14000 miles today after work. Its at a dealer and is certified used, so depending on how the negotiations are, I may be taking it home.

My question is that since it is at a Nissan Dealer, should I push for them to look for any of the known problems before I purchase? Is it unreasonalbe to ask them to test the alternator because I know from the internet that they have a tendency to fail? Are there any noises or signs that I can look for while test driving that would indicate the common problems?

Thanks for all of your help in advance, it is amazing to have these forums available!!!

Kevin

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
5,100 Posts
Good thinking!.. I would make any final sale conditional on a service department receipt showing implementation of all TSB's and replacement of the Alternator with the part number that has a E or ER on the end.

They can't do anything about the power steering situation, but I had an 04 and it never bothered me, take it out and "Give it the Steering test"

If the dealer is not cooperative in these then they are probably not the dealer for you anyway. Don't let new Car Itis strike, they are lots of them around.

"Rots of Ruck" as they say :)

PS used to work at the "MSC CENTER" and lived in the Bay House.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Kevin - I don't think it's unreasonable to ask about the alternator or even demand that it be replaced to get the sale done, knowing that you're a well informed Mo buyer. Besides, you never know until you ask.

I haven't experienced any noises or rattles on my '05.... so I can't help you there.

I hope you're getting a good discount off a new 2004, since there are still probably a few around on some dealer lots and that this car has 14K miles.

Good luck!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Well if it's certified with only 14000 miles I would think the alternator would be under warranty so if it fails later it would be replaced at no charge. As far as anything else I think common sense play's a big role, and also like Grip said "don't let new car itis strike" in other words don't be afraid to walk away.

Good luck:cool:

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
make sure your windows are down and do some hard stops and starts and listen for creaks or clicks. The driver's front is the the biggest problem there. If so, get your motor mounts tightened.
Look for steering wheel straightness, if it is off, it needs the rack retorqued. Rock the seat--TSB for that.
Check out edmonds and see what the Mo is worth with that mileage.

And, I third the motion of walking.
Had I walked I could have saved a lot.
My wife has walked several times, sure enough, they would call in less than 2 weeks and she would get her price.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow, thanks for all the great tips so far. I'll be transferring them all to my cheat sheet to keep in my pocket so I don't forget. If there are any other suggestions, please keep them coming!

Hopefully I will have good news to report back tomorrow.

Thank you all again,

Kevin

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
" I would make any final sale conditional on a service department receipt showing implementation of all TSB's"

Try not to mention this one.
Never in the recorded history of mankind has there ever been a car that had all the TSBs done.
It's just not gonna happen.

Nissan won't do it, the dealer won't do it, and you wouldn't do it if you were selling the car.

Homer

·
5,100 Posts
Mu G35, SLK 320 and S430 all did sorry Homer but it's true. I printed the full list and took em to the dealer and had em done. When I sold the G35 and the S430 I got a real premium showing the buyers my lists and the dealers documentation. Even such thing as having the vaunted Infinity Analogue clock replaced for the one with wider hands to improve visibility. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just thought I would post an update since a few of you were able to help me out yesterday afternoon. I didn't purchase it last night because of the typical dealership games that they played.

After taking it through the test drive, everything seemed to check out. I didn't get to the alternator yet because I wanted to do that as my last condition after we agreed on price.

So I went to the salesman's office and the price he offerred was $28,895. The price on their dealership website as well as autotrader.com was $26,995!!! Then when I pointed that out, he thought he was doing me a favor by offering me that as his best deal. Today when I check my e-mail, the Internet salesman has returned my e-mail and offers a price of $25,995. In the meantime, I've been working on prices for leftover 2004's in the area and so far have got them down to $5100 off MSRP for an SL with the Touring package.

Now that I've test driven the Murano, I'm sure I will get one, but I am almost positive I will do it by e-mail or phone. Sorry for the rant on the salesmen, but I really do not like the car buying experience in person.:mad:

Thanks for your help and any tips on 2004 leftovers would also be appreciated!:cool:

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
Considering the mileage, the used MO you were looking at is probably a rental return. If you can get the price of a new 04 down to within a couple of thousand dollars of the price of the used one, get the new MO. Personally, I cannot stand the thought of hundreds of people having been behind the wheel of my MO! I don't even use valet parking for that reason! But that is just me....:D

·
5,100 Posts
One more thought, It might be possible to get an 05 to fit within your budget. IMHO that would be a great move IF you can SWING it. Shop Hard and possibly reconsider the accessorie you need. :D

·
Registered
175 Posts
Get your financing in order independently or cash if you have it:) , dealer cost and go beat 'em down on a new one. I went to 3 dealers before I knew who wanted and deserved the sale.

I'm suspicious of a year old vehicle back on the lot. Was it a problem car for first owner... who knows?

·
Registered
105 Posts
We just bought our 04' on new years eve when dealers are likely to give the best deals due to having to move inventory for tax purposes.

Ours was an SL FWD bought with 27K miles on her. So I have the remaining 9K miles for bumper to bumper, then the powertrain is extended on it to 100K. We paid $23,395 and I went through carsdirect.com and worked with there internet sales manager. It was great, no hassles, etc. The only negotiating I did was on the amount of my wife's trade in and them replacing an item or two on the MO.

Just did a 1200 mile round trip to FLA, no problems whatsoever, no oil loss at all, and averaged 22 MPG on the trip (averaging 75-90 MPH on the highway).

Love her!:2: :2:

·
5,100 Posts
darkhawkkg Don't leave us hangin ,what did you do?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for asking Grip....I'm still out here searching around for either a used one or a leftover on the lot 2004. That will be my weekend...with a little break for the Houston Auto Show.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts