Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 on 113k with a fair service history (but not complete). I run her on 99 Ron for the most part and I have changed the oil very regularly (less than 3k every time). Could people advise what the cause of a consistent tick-knock could be? there on starting (wasn't when I bought it) and doesn't stop when warmed. Engine bay is the location. Thankyou.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I have an 05 on 113k with a fair service history (but not complete). I run her on 99 Ron for the most part and I have changed the oil very regularly (less than 3k every time). Could people advise what the cause of a consistent tick-knock could be? there on starting (wasn't when I bought it) and doesn't stop when warmed. Engine bay is the location. Thankyou.
If possible, upload a video of the sound beginning from start-up and going on 30 seconds or so. A lot of things can make a ticking noise from the engine, but being able to hear it is most helpful in trying to figure out what it might be.

Also, I'm sure you've gone around the engine compartment looking for the noise, so if there's a specific part of the "engine bay" where you think the noise is coming from then please state so.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If possible, upload a video of the sound beginning from start-up and going on 30 seconds or so. A lot of things can make a ticking noise from the engine, but being able to hear it is most helpful in trying to figure out what it might be.

Also, I'm sure you've gone around the engine compartment looking for the noise, so if there's a specific part of the "engine bay" where you think the noise is coming from then please state so.
Hi, thanks for the reply. I did try and upload a video, but it said it was large a file. I will instead get an audio file and try to be more pr code where the noise is emanating from.

·
Registered
755 Posts
You can also upload it to YouTube, then post the link here.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Heres the kink. Apologies, took it from the inside of the car. After well warmed up. May post a better one tomorrow. Anyone?

·
Registered
107 Posts
It sounds like from the exhaust. Does it get much louder when you accelerate? I recently replaced the Y-flex pipe that was leaking. It had the similar sound, and from the front.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It sounds like from the exhaust. Does it get much louder when you accelerate? I recently replaced the Y-flex pipe that was leaking. It had the similar sound, and from the front.
Can't be. Noise was evident prior to entire exhaust refit in stainless steel 20 days ago. It is not the exhaust, defo from the engine compartment.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Can't be. Noise was evident prior to entire exhaust refit in stainless steel 20 days ago. It is not the exhaust, defo from the engine compartment.
Your complaint is a noise coming from inside the engine compartment. Is there any particular reason why you filmed the video from inside the car?

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
Moderator note: I have cleaned up the thread, deleting one response and another comment because it contained that response. Respect is due to all members here.

If the OP wants to continue the discussion, please do so by providing relevant information.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Heres the kink. Apologies, took it from the inside of the car. After well warmed up. May post a better one tomorrow. Anyone?

As a long time gen 1 owner, the only unusual sound I could detect was the exhaust burble, which you noted was due to your recent stainless exhaust installation. I can't detect any consistent tick-knock sound that you mentioned...

Capturing the sound from your engine compartment, especially near where you hear the sound the strongest, will help us try to figure out what it is.

Is it louder under acceleration, or do you only hear it while idling?

·
Registered
755 Posts
Used a sxxt load of Redex since I got her.
Just an off the wall guess, but I wonder if the Redex treatment freed up some gunk and blocked an oil passage somewhere, maybe the variable valve timing solenoid...

Have you noticed any performance issues along with the noise?

I found this post from another forum (although you mentioned the noise doesn't change when warmed up...)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts