Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Sounds reasonable to me - at that crooked stance, you were probably putting more force on one hinge than the other, so it made it difficult to close.

·
Registered
828 Posts
This has happened to me too and on my Toyota. If I leave the rear left gate open for say an hour or so in the sun.

I think the gas in the the struts heats up expanding causing more presure, thus harder to close.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
what i don't understand is how you would open the hatch in the first place in that stance??

·
Enjoying the ride…
452 Posts
Trust me, it is very hard to close it

I had this problem. I stop on the curve, so MO was tilted to the right. It took so much force to close the hitch (and a lot of tries), I was thinking that I am about to brake the rear window. But if you keep your MO straight, it works just fine. IMO the hitch cover is too big and heavy for the hinges. Just try to keep her straight;)

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Re: Trust me, it is very hard to close it

Murano_driver said:
I had this problem. I stop on the curve, so MO was tilted to the right. It took so much force to close the hitch (and a lot of tries), I was thinking that I am about to brake the rear window. But if you keep your MO straight, it works just fine. IMO the hitch cover is too big and heavy for the hinges. Just try to keep her straight;)
I don't think it has anything to do with the size or weight of the gate. The body of the car is not as rigid as you would think it is. It does flex under certain conditions and the way Cryogenix has parked is sure one of them. The twist, although very small, throws the gate out of allignment and makes it hard to close. Even the doors will be out of alignment too. Harder to see on a 4 door car but try it on a two door car with a long door and you will see what I mean. This is perfectly normal and I have noticed it on just about any kind of car I have owned. Just don't try to close the gate (or the door) if it is hard because you will damage the latch.

·
4,601 Posts
Smash the windshield and it will twist even more. Welcome to the world of light weight unibody design.:p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts