Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... 2016 Murano SL w/Tech AWD. I get this snap/clank sounding noise, almost as if there is something loose hitting a metal panel. As best as I can tell it comes from the passenger rear of the vehicle. I happens every time I enter or exit my garage which is on a slight incline and has a couple of bump points which would cause the vehicle to have some motion. Occasionally it happens while driving at lower speeds, usually I think when I hit a bump or depression in the road surface. It doesn't happen all the time, with the exception of the garage, and it hasn't happened in the neighborhood of the dealer (where I could try and duplicate it for them). Short of having them come to my house to hear it I'm at a loss. I've checked everything I can think of in the rear of the vehicle and everything is tight and in place (jack, spare, etc). At first I thought it was the hanging clip that holds up the spare compartment but I taped it up to eliminate as a source. Have no idea if its suspension related or interior exterior something. If anyone has any thoughts or experienced same I'd be interested hear them.

·
Registered
253 Posts
There's an opening where the rear seats are hinged -- maybe something has fallen into this area?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I checked that area out but I’ll check it again. I know sounds sometimes travel so I keep checking things out and rattling them. Lol. Oddly enough it did it only once today coming out of the garage then nothing.... tomorrow is another day

·
Registered
5 Posts
Check the wheel lock key...it could possibly be rattling around.
If all else fails remove the spare tire and everything around it and inspect for random object bouncing around in there.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check the wheel lock key...it could possibly be rattling around.
If all else fails remove the spare tire and everything around it and inspect for random object bouncing around in there.
[/QUOTE

Oh... I didn't know I had a wheel lock key. Now that's something I'll have to find. I did check in tire well but since everything seemed in place and I felt like ti come from the side so I didn't remove and reinstall everything, but its a good idea, I'll give it a try. Thanks.

·
Registered
130 Posts
check your hatch struts. I know of someone with a 3rd gen that had a weird clunk from back. they took out the spare, jack, tools etc to no avail. when they finally went to the dealer, they were told that there's been "issues" with some of the hatch struts. since being replaced, they've experienced no more weird clunk type noises.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The "mud flaps" on my rear tires did not have enough screws and I heard the same sound. Never heard again once that was fixed. Have seen similar posts about this fix.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The "mud flaps" on my rear tires did not have enough screws and I heard the same sound. Never heard again once that was fixed. Have seen similar posts about this fix.
I have checked the mud flaps and they are secure with all screws. The dealer is going to check it when I take it in for service. It is inconsistent except for when I go in and out of my garage which is on a slight downhill and has a bump.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
It's the rear hatch. I had it on my 2018, and the dealer knew right away what it was. Had it into the body shop and it was fixed in 30 minutes. It takes a new rear hatch latch to fix it. Make the dealer fix it for you.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's the rear hatch. I had it on my 2018, and the dealer knew right away what it was. Had it into the body shop and it was fixed in 30 minutes. It takes a new rear hatch latch to fix it. Make the dealer fix it for you.
From the inside did it sound like it was coming from the right side? I'll suggest it to the dealer when it is there next week. Thanks

·
Registered
398 Posts
Sounds travel weird inside. I had once heard a rattle coming from the passenger seat area. I couldnt figure out what the sound was. Sounded like something was loose under the seat. After spending some time looking, I found nothing. Anyways, the following day it stopped, but came back that afternoon. I realized it was my duffle bag zipper flapping around in the rear hatch area making the sound. I guess the sound bounced around the car in such a way that it sounded like it was passenger seat rattling....

So yeah, It could possibly be the hatch area....

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
From the inside did it sound like it was coming from the right side? I'll suggest it to the dealer when it is there next week. Thanks
It didn't (so far) turn out to be the rear hatch. The consensus is that it is coming from the passenger rear upper side area in the cargo area. It's going back next week for a more through tear down. I always seem to get mystery stuff, makes life interesting. lol

·
Registered
398 Posts
One night I got into my car and started to drive and immediately heard a weird noise coming from the rear. For the life of me I couldn't figure out what kind of sound it was. Sounded like rubbing and rustling at the same time. Ended up being a man who identifies as "the hook" hiding in my back seat.

Told him to leave and sound went away. Easy fix in my case. Hope yours is an easy find.

·
Registered
618 Posts
One night I got into my car and started to drive and immediately heard a weird noise coming from the rear. For the life of me I couldn't figure out what kind of sound it was. Sounded like rubbing and rustling at the same time. Ended up being a man who identifies as "the hook" hiding in my back seat.

Told him to leave and sound went away. Easy fix in my case. Hope yours is an easy find.
LOL You mean that you live by Hookman's cemetery too? He never got in the car, would just "tap tap tap" on the window with his hook.

Have a good day.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
UPDATE: The dealer had the Murano for a couple of days and tore apart the interior materials to get access to the area around the "C" pillar by the small rear window. That is where the noise is coming from. What they found is that the C pillar has several rods, pieces, or whatever you want to call them in the pillar between the outside materials and the pillar itself. When the body flexed in a particular manner they would move a bit and touch. The technician said he had a tool, I forgot the name, that let him "look" inside a little. Maybe something akin to an X-ray. Anyway, the only way to totally eliminate the noise would be to cut into the body parts. That's not something I would do, and they didn't want to do it either. He did replicate the noise in a 2018 so it's not unique to my vehicle. He added some sound deadening materials behind the interior pieces that muffle the noise. So far I can't hear it at all.

It's an interesting mystery and the dealer and technician were great trying to solve it. This dealer always goes above and beyond for me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts