Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a couple of thread searches and can't find this anywhere.
Ever since the weather has gotten colder here in Upstate NY. In the mornings when I first leave the house and for about the first mile or so, I'm experiencing a little bit of hesitation and surging. It only seems to happen when the MO is cold and then goes away. I tried a tankful of 93 octane thinking maybe it was thirsty for the good juice, but no difference. Has anyone else experienced this or have a clue why it does this? I'm not keen on bringing it in as this seems minor and all the dealer will do is try and tell me something else is wrong (like brakes again, another story though, so he can make some money off me).

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
When the CVT fluid is cold, the transmission feels a bit unresponsive. When it warms up, it feels quite peppy though. Perhaps thats what you are experiencing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm in MA and I've noticed the engine has *much* less power on the low end when it's cold. Acelerating from 0-20 MPH is far slower. I noticed this when I had my Maxima, too - but it was less pronounced because I had a manual 6 speed and wasn't limited by the transmission keeping my RPMs really low. For me, it's not related to the transmission temp, as warming up the engine in the really cold mornings solves the low-end power problem.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I get the same hesitation effect as dacraig. It's now about 0-11 degrees Celsius here in them morning, and every few mornings (not every morning) my MO jerks a bit when I step on the gas. This goes on and off until I get to the end of my street, but once I get to the main road, its perfect.

It feels like the gas is getting cut off even though you are pressing the peddle. Weird.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Haven't had any jerks or surges due to a cold tranny (driven in 20 degree (F) recently) .. The torque converter has a lot more "give" to it .. meaning I have to get the RPMS up a LOT higher for the same pull/power I'd get if it were warm .. and that means more time (kind of like a spooling effect) between stepping on the gas and feeling it, but nothing jerky. I have a 2004 SL with about 9K miles on it.

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Yeah I don't get the jerky feel either, just a slugglish high revving nature until warmed up.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm beginning to think that the CVT might be the culprit as mentioned. Maybe it does just need to warm up. I've only got 26K miles on it and this is my first time in the cold weather with it.
I just moved and I've got to go up a few hills in the first mile now so that is probably why I notice it even more now. The added umphh needed to accelerate up them is why I notice it even more now.
Any suggestions????

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
I've noticed the jerkiness too. I'll pay attention now that I have a remote start and see if the problem goes away. Idling will warm up the engine, but not the CVT, if I understand correctly.

You can tell when the CVT is warmed up by the torque convertor locking up (RPMS drop a fair bit). With the remote start, the engine should be near operating temp, but the CVT still cold, when I drive away.

Another theory I had was that the engine didn't produce as much power when cold, and the A/C was causing the jerkiness as it came on and off. I find the A/C in this vehicle uses more power than other vehicles I've had in the past, and if the engine isn't producing as much power, it's effects will be more noticeable.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Re: Thats odd..

b0xdesigns said:
My Mo has always felt more resposnsive after cold starts.....Even before I modded it
I'm guessing that it's not quite the same "cold start" is San Francisco as it is in Canada!

Mine exhibits exactly the same hesitation when it's cold (~0 F) for about the two miles it takes me to get to the highway, but by the time I hit the highway, it's fine.

Watch what happens to your "instant" indicated gas mileage during that first couple of miles too...............

I was shocked!:2:

·
Registered
24 Posts
All cars behave very differenly when the tranny is cold because they all refuse to lock the torque converter. It's just a little weirder in the Mo because of the way the CVT behaves. I remember driving other automatics and they'd keep the rpms up high even while cruising along at 35mph on a level road. Giving it gas would instantly make the needle go up even if the gears didnt' shift. So with the Mo you've not only got a TC that has "play" when you give it gas, you've got the CVT that has "play" due to it's nature. Put the two together and yeah, it feels funny :) I'm just waiting to see what it's like when it's 0 degrees F some morning ...

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
Zero Degrees! does the thermometer go that low? GRIP :D

·
Registered
416 Posts
I've run the CVT thru a full winter (several -40 days).... it is sluggish at first and revs higher til TC locks, but it should always run smooth..no jerks/hesitations....as for you "southern gentleman" who knock cold weather...its not so bad...its what ever your used to... I don't think I could survive a summer in Florida or Arizona ...besides. you miss out on a whole lot of fun driving a MO in snow...

·
4,994 Posts
True, But When I worked in Detroit for 13 yeats I tried to store up enough experience to last a lifetime. GRIP :D

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Year an a half in alaska was enough for me

Attachments

·
4,994 Posts
OMG! I am speechless. GRIP :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
The temps have gone down here in Chicago and I have felt the MO jerk when the engine is cold...especially accelerating from a stop sign. It doesn't do it if you're light on the acceleration and after the engine has warmed up. I'm glad it's not something too out of the ordinary because I thought it might have been caused by me replacing the air filter.

Has anyone remedied this with a remote engine starter?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well my MO does it EVERY time I drive it for the first time in the morning. Tomorrow, I'm going to warm it for at least 10 minutes and wait until the temperature gauge is in the normal range. If it still does it after that then I'm going to assume it is CVT fluid temperature relatated. I'll let everyone know tomorrow.

·
SHIFT_FASTER
1,422 Posts
Mine doesn't seem to do it if I warm it up for 5 minutes or so with the remote start. I'm going to keep paying attention to this though.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts