Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Windy City MO :)
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about trading in my GTP for a new car next summer and the two cars I had in mind were the 350Z and the G35 Coupe.

Was the G35 any consideration at all when you bought the 350Z?

I like both cars alot and have been reading the Z boards trying to soak up as much info as possible.

Now, other than the body, I know one of the biggest differences between the cars is that the G35 has rear seats. (if you want to call them that.:p ) But, I'm more curious about the performance (if any differences at all), the suspension, etc.

One of the biggest considerations, I'm taking, is that the 350 seems to have a lot more aftermarket support that the G.

Any thoughts on this? :D

TIA,
O'

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Well...yeah...

No the G35C was not a consideration for me. I have 2 - 280ZXs and I was either going to rebuild one of those or find a good used 300TT when Nissan announced it's 350Z prototype. I waited about two years after that to get mine.

The G35 has a better laid out interior but it is not as raw a sports car as the Z. And I'm going by memory here, but as I recall the Gs wheel base and the Zs are different. From what I have heard people say, the Z is a better performer than the G, but the G is a more luxurious ride. Basically what you would expect.

And yes, the Z has a bunch of aftermarket, and it it's only going to improve. But some of those should be directly translatable to the G. For example, you can get your choice of 3 super chargers or a couple TTs. You can get NISMO cams, and aftermarket 8.5:1 pistons and piston rods that will take the punishment. The limit on the VQ35DE seems to be the piston rods. Don't remember exactly but it seems like 500-600 HP is where the rods go. ALso, the current fuel system seems to limit at around 400-500HP so there are aftermarket fuel parts, injectors pumps etc. The 8.5 pistons are for running boost above about 9 psi. And that's not even talking about NOS. Bottom line last time I looked, 800HP with all the goodies was within sight.

The one thing that seems it's not really worth dinking with is the exhaust and intake. There are several exhausts and intakes out there but only a couple seem to provide any measurable improvements, most actually degraded performance. But with FI, maybe they will.

·
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the insight. I think the Z would be a better choice for me.

I like comfort but that's what the Murano is for.

I've added a few mods to my GP and it runs in the low 13s but she's got too many miles (135k) on her and I'm afraid that one day I'm going to be at the track and something is going to GO...kaputs.

Besides, I miss the tight handling of a sports car. My Supra Turbo was a blast at high speeds and the Grand Prix scares me when I start to get in the triple digits. :p

Anyway, thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
np. I hear Toyota is coming out with something and for that matter...just about everybody else is going to have a sports car/muscle car again. Most will put down 400HP+ stock. It's a great time for enthusiasts. Don't get me wrong, I'm not getting rid of the 350. But I don't race, I like well balanced (50:50 f/r ratio) cornering ability, agile and tossable. Could care less about straight line speed and nose heavy muscle cars. A Dodge Superbee cured me of that years ago, it came stock with front and rear bumper telephone pole magnets. :D But if your into it, there are some behemoths coming. :2:

·
Registered
777 Posts
OGz - since your looking at a Z, why not considering the roadster?
If my wife wasn't after me to find a replacement for the Cvan I would be upgrading the Spyder to a Z! :cool:

I really do enjoy swapping with my wife, I mean cars, with her! :D

I must know why did you ever get rid of the Supra?
I can't believe that Toyota hasn't brought one back!

·
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
KSmurano said:
OGz - since your looking at a Z, why not considering the roadster?
If my wife wasn't after me to find a replacement for the Cvan I would be upgrading the Spyder to a Z! :cool:

I really do enjoy swapping with my wife, I mean cars, with her! :D

I must know why did you ever get rid of the Supra?
I can't believe that Toyota hasn't brought one back!
The Spyder might be considered.

As for the Supra, I hated giving that up. At the time, my son was 5 and my girlfriend's son was 8 so they had a rough time in the back seat, if you call it that.

She was driving a Jeep Wrangler so we made a decision to trade in the Supra for a sedan. How I got screwed out of this deal is something I'm still trying to figure out. :( Out fo the 14 cars I've owned, that was one of my favorites.

Well, hopefully the Z will fill that void again. :D Now, to decide what color...hmmmm....they all look soooo perty.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
They really do.

Some thoughts I had at time of pre-order (only color on a production Z picure was silver):

red or lemans == cop magnet

black == too hard to keep clean and look :cool:

silver/silverstone == too common

brickyard == would have to see it

daytona blue == would probably look good but a dark color

pikes peak white == cool in alabama

red + white are traditional sports car colors so white won.

After seeing them all in person they all look really good and the only thought that changed was the:

brickyard == rare, exotic looking but tough to keep clean

1 - 7 of 7 Posts