Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Nissan Murano and it is a pleasure to be here. My girl owns this car since I already have one of my own I feel like helping her out and this is the most informative website for this vehicle. So far as you well know this vehicle need extra car and is a tad temperamental in some areas like the seat bracket,Altenator transfer case,transmission,switches.

Why has this car gotten such a bad reputation. I see if left unchecked this car can be very problematic due to the build quality and flawed design. But its an honor to be here to find that I'm not alone and I'm car savy so I can definitely be of some use here from the information that I have learned from this car and others.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Hi there Sparks, my take on it and just my opinion, many of the Murano's are getting up there in age. If we were driving around 10-12 year old BMW's, they would be breaking also.
So as the odometers creep up, stuff happens, people post it. Also there appears more issues with transfer case models on AWD vs FWD.

If folks compare, it is a solid choice:

Scorecard
Overall:
Critics' Rating: 7.8
Performance: 7.9
Interior: 8.2
Safety: 8.5
Reliability: 4.5 of 5 stars.
LINK:
2014 Nissan Murano Reviews, Pictures and Prices | U.S. News Best Cars

·
Registered
79 Posts
My parents own a 2005 and haven't had any problems with it. One of the reasons that helped us in deciding to buy our 2014.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Why has this car gotten such a bad reputation. I see if left unchecked this car can be very problematic due to the build quality and flawed design.
This isn't true at all. Sure, a few people here have had problems, but that's to be expected on ANY car site like this one. The VAST majority of Murano owners (like me, with 111K miles on my 04 SE, bought new just over 10 years ago) have had great experiences with their cars.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Most definitely but aside from the vehicles so-called bad rep I believe things do happen but people look away from not properly spoting and taking the proper precautions for preventative maintenance.

But I'm sure me and my girlfriend with my help and knowledge will maintain this car.

·
Super Moderator
7,720 Posts
I look at it this way:

If you want a new car with a warranty, buy one. It may break anyway, but you'll have coverage to get it fixed. (I sold cars - they break, they get fixed, life goes on.) And you'll really pay for it!

If you want to pay 2/3 to 1/2 the price of a new one, buy a used one. Be prepared to spend some $ on repairs, but be secure in the knowledge that you saved $10,000 or more on the car, so you can afford to pay some money for repairs.

Than - take care of it. Any new car will easily go more than 100K miles with a few repairs, and that's where you get your money's worth. There are a lot of Muranos reported on this forum with well over 100K miles that are running great and operating well.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Most definitely but aside from the vehicles so-called bad rep
I would agree that something like a Jeep that has a bad rep. I owned one, it used to blow up once a month. It was a 97 Grand Cherokee. Dodge Caravans are noted to have the tranny fall apart at 100K miles. There are cars with a bad rep but I don't believe anyone here thinks the Murano is one of them.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wonder is the murano really that testy about the maintenance or is it from the owners running into the ground or is it the luck of the draw.?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hello and welcome to the site. In my idea the Murano's aren't really that problematic. As long as you would maintain it well.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts