Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Watching CNN right now, they're showing both Toronto and Ottawa being affected by the power outage, and that takes out Jaak and several others who post on this board. It looks like things are very slowly getting fixed, but I'm sure it must be a major headache for everyone involved! :bonk:

Jeff

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Had power out from 4pm on Thursday. Just came back up at 12pm today (Friday) Eastern. Slowly getting back to normal.

·
4,664 Posts
Lost power yesterday about 4:10 pm (Timing was perfect as I was just finishing demonstrating a product... The engineers all thought it was funny!) The drive home wasn't so funny, as some people didn't realise you're supposed to treat the intersection as a four way stop, when there's no lights!

Just came back on today around 4 pm.... Phew, it's been high 90's and the MO told me it was 101 outside. Looked in the freezer, threw out some stuff, poured the ice cream down the drain and Bar-B-Q'd a Pizza and some burgers, instead of chucking them. Never done that with a Pizza, it was quite good!

So far, still have power, but they say rotating black outs and only essential usage. Using battery on my laptop and enough for the cable modem, and the fridge. Everything else is off. No A/C but it's cool in the basement. Well, if 78 is cool...

Of course, no one really knows what happened, but most of the reports I've heard were a problem with Niagara Mohawk in Upstate NY. Of course, I was listening around on the Murano's SAT! :D (Edit, it turns out it was in Ohio, the boys at N-M were doing a fine job!)

Anyway, it's been a while. The last one like this was 1965 I think..

Blame deregulation of the power industry... :mad:

The good side, I got some other things done today, instead of working. They declared a state of emergency and told us not to go anywhere, if we didn't need to... Just fine with me!:D

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Hope everybody stays :cool: and don't go :cursin: .

Some time ago I had this vision, this ... epiphany

"The camera's view is focused on a woman talking on her cell phone. As the camera zooms out you see she is driving car that has a GPS computer auto navigation. As the camera zooms further back you see a busy city with airplanes and helicopters flying overhead and you hear the deafening buzz of modern civilization as humans look like ants hurriedly scurrying this way and that in some incomprehensible pattern. Then the camera fades to black and you realize the view is now on a dark damp tunnel with a little mouse gently chewing away on a cable when suddenly, POW The camera goes white and fades back to the view of the city. You then watch in horror as a ring much like that from a nuclear explosion ripples out from the mouse epi-center. Only things aren't destroyed and vaporized, rather the motion stops and everything goes dark and the hustle and bustle comes to a dead standstill. As the ring expands to fill the view, suddenly you realize the roar of civilization is replaced with...silence."

All our technological wonders can be undone by the smallest of things.

·
4,664 Posts
Wow, you'd be a lot of fun with some beer! What are you doing this weekend?

Last I heard, some power lines melted from the current and the heat of the summer. Obviously the system was stressed to the max, because they do have protection built in for this kind of thing.

Still had water and gas, so at least I had a good shower in the dark this morning... Waited 'till there was more light to shave. Funny how we take things for granted!

·
4,664 Posts
Solar flare actually did cross my mind... I seem to remember the big one in '65 was from that. I also remember that they try to avoid long runs of transmission line directly north/south, as it tends to act like a antenna for that kind of thing....

(However those long runs are good for talking to submarines!)

·
Registered
278 Posts
North-South Long Runs

Funny, because in Quebec, they ignored engineer's advise to avoid N-S long runs. Ontario was very careful about it.

It is hard to believe that something in Quebec continued to work, while NY and ON went out, along with a few other states, or portions thereof.

I am 20 minutes from Ontario, and my Nissan dealer went down. Good thing yesterday was not my MO's delivery date. Today, I did pay it a visit and give it a hug.

As soon as they get reasonable on a 2003 discount, or a 2004 arrives...

They keep the APR high during the first year.

I can wait. I'm patient... sort of...

The news was all about the power thing for most of last evening. Oh, and the Nissan dealer ordered some service from me today. Can I use that to justify spending all the revenue on the MO?

·
4,664 Posts
Last I heard it was a problem in Ohio, that should have automatically taken their system off line, and didn't.

I'd be surprised if it was an Ontario system problem. Not 'cause I live here, but until a few years back, it was a one vendor government regulated system with extremely high quality standards in how the system was built. Like Hydro Quebec still is.

It's true that deregulation causes corner cutting, so where systems have to compete, there isn't the same investment in the system and it's more likely to have issues.

Perfect target for a terrorist and it really needs to be upgraded with redundancy. But like radio and cellular systems, no one wants the towers near them, they just want the service.

As far as the service, tell your dealer what a great deal he got, and that you expect the same in return! :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts