Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The shadow of the Left headlight is slightly lower than that of the Right one. Is this normal? The dealer states it is WITHIN NORM.

Can somebody deny or confirm this, thanks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Lites

On my se 04 the left head lite dips on the left edge .I think thats is so you dont blind on coming traffic.
Could be wrong.

SE AWD Pewter

Loggerdude

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
That is correct. Left side is lower to avoid blinding oncoming traffic. Right side is higher to illuminate road signs.

·
Registered
250 Posts
It is normal for the beam pattern to appear to be higher on the right side. This is designed to catch roadside signs and reflectors. The beam is the same from each headlight, and they overlap in the middle. See attached picture for the normal appearence of the headlight beams when projected on a wall...

The beams are very precisely designed to look like this, and the manual adjuster is made to allow you to lower them if you have the vehicle loaded, enabling you to prevent them from shining in the eyes of oncoming traffic.

I actually tested headlights for a living in a previous life. It was less than glamourous, but a good job. It is amazing to learn how much engineering goes into a headlight these days...

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Lites

There is only one head lite for each side. there is a shutter that changes from from low to high beam.that the noise you hear when changing from low to high.

Loggerdude

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
Re: Lites

loggerdude said:
There is only one head lite for each side. there is a shutter that changes from from low to high beam.that the noise you hear when changing from low to high.

Loggerdude
True but the post above about beam patterns refers to a single bulb, not side. A single bulb produces the same pattern whether right or left, and together (both bulbs left and right) they overlap in the middle.

It is interesting nissan uses the shutter since most other manufacturers either use a true bixenon setup or a halogen high beam bulb (which I would actually prefer since i would not feel as bad when i accidentally hit the panic button and watch those HIDs go one and off).

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
This is also a very good link..

Automotive Lighting

I used the info from the page since i got my other car that has Hid and the info is really helpful.
You got question in aiming right? Read under "AIMING" at above url

·
Registered
9 Posts
Got the same story

I reported the left head light shining lower than the right one and the dealership told me that it's as designed. The left side is lower so that it doesn't blind a person driving on the opposite side of the road. The right side is higher so that you can see signs easily.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have an 04 SL AWD (canadian model) therefore doesn't come with
the HIDs, just regular halogens.
I have the same problem, but the opposite.
I find that my right headlights are shining lower then my left side.
I tried manually moving the bulb, but it seems like its on tight already and no adjustment can be made.
This might not seem like a huge problem, but it bothers me a bit.
Is it suppose to be designed like this or does anyone know how to adjust it?
I just had my MO seviced and noticed this afterwards. so I won't be back at the dealership for a another couple of months.

Anyone one with the same problem?

Please help. :confused:

·
Registered
37 Posts
You can't get HID's in Canada? Is it a law? Or they just don't make them for that market? Can you put them on aftermarket?

·
Registered
741 Posts
In Canada, the SL and SE packages are sold with a fixed set of packages with only a few options like the Nav.

For example, you can't get the seat memory nor leather on the SL . And you can't get an SE without them. HID is only available on the SE. You however get the full-size spare on both.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
There is an adjusting screw for the headlights under the hood. See the service manual.
HID in Canada only come on the SE.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts