Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed that my HID lamps don't shine that far ahead. The high beams, however, light up everything.... I'm wondering if it's alighned too low even on the "0" setting on the dash. When I look at the top of light field along a wall, I notice that it angles downwards, not straight across.

Anyone else seeing this or is it just me??

·
Premium Member
8,368 Posts
I agree that the low beams do not shine out nearly far enough. However, the same is true with every other vehicle with projector HID's out there - the beam is so bright that manufacturers mandate a very sharp (and close) cutoff to avoid blinding oncoming traffic and the cars immediately in front of you.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Coming from a car that has normal halogen bulbs - I find the HIDs on the Murano to be outstanding. We rented an Altima with conventional headlights and it was very difficult to see in comparison.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I find that the OEM halogen lights are not very effective. I've raised them slightly but then not coverage closer to the car... lower them and then nothing at distance. I also find that they are on the dim side. I would raise them a bit and use fog lamps but here in MA its illegal to use fog lamps when the weather doesn't warrant it.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Gonzo said:
I find that the OEM halogen lights are not very effective. I've raised them slightly but then not coverage closer to the car... lower them and then nothing at distance. I also find that they are on the dim side. I would raise them a bit and use fog lamps but here in MA its illegal to use fog lamps when the weather doesn't warrant it.
Technically the fog lamps on a MO are really not fog lamps. They are more like driving lamps that are aimed low (In fact there is an adjustment screw behind them to adjust them up if you want). A real fog lamp does not emit white light because white light would reflect off of the water droplets in a fog and is useless. Most fog lamps put out yellow light.

·
Mr. 3 K, 3/3/5. 5K,10/5/7
4,994 Posts
ZEBLKHAM is right. Water droplets reflect highest in the Green spectrum. ALSO Glad I don't live in MA and have one more "Law" to protect me. I would really like a different lamp than the 9006 to put in my "FOG LAMPS" but one that would work with the same connector and have a color temperature of around 4800 K to really match the HID's, BUT have a better throw either because of wattage and or optics. . Anybody got ideas? GRIP :D

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
zebelkhan said:

Technically the fog lamps on a MO are really not fog lamps. They are more like driving lamps that are aimed low (In fact there is an adjustment screw behind them to adjust them up if you want). A real fog lamp does not emit white light because white light would reflect off of the water droplets in a fog and is useless. Most fog lamps put out yellow light.
I agree but its had to prove that to the cop when the owners manual calls them fog lights.

·
4,994 Posts
Just ordered the Hella Optilux 1300 Driving Light that Luvwool showed me when he was over today, Great match with the Log lamp size and shape. Will wire separately from Fogs so can be used in true night speed driving situations. GRIP :D

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
I had the hella optilux before, good quality...

Yet i got a question for you GripperDon, where are you going to mount this new hella? Are you going to take out the factory fog and put this one in instead...
or you going to mount it at the lower bumper, in front of the radiator air inlet?

I have been looking for additional aux light but still wondering where i am going to mount them on the mo.

·
4,994 Posts
Luvwool Came by today thats how I got to see these neat little Hella 1300's They are about the size of the fogs, maybe just a little smaller and they fit nicely in the lower grill below the bumper between the vertical spacers. They will even fit in the outside openings where the tow loop screws in. I'll probably go in just one space. That where Luvwool is putting his. I am going to change out the H3 for about a 4500 K color bulb. GRIP :D

·
Just wanna help
1,383 Posts
SO...are you going to have a bodyshop drill a hole

through the lower bumper's lip (near lower grill below the bumper between the vertical spacers) and mount this hella ?
If you have a shop do it, let me know how it turns out...

I had a body shop did it before on my other car, labor only around $60 and they did an excelent job.

·
4,994 Posts
Actually no. I am going to drill a pair of holes on each side up into the Aluminun inner bumper section to hold the mounts, Luvwools (now MOPar) Idea. When I get my lights, I may even try and borrow his right angle drill bit. Hope I Hope. GRIP :D

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Who the heck is Lovewool?

Homer

·
Registered
81 Posts
Why don't you just purchase some HID driving lamps from www.pgperformance.com and stick them in your stock fog positions? Even the non-HID, Hella micro-DE lamps will provide better throw than stock.

For bulbs, I recommend the Osram Silverstar. Not the americanized Sylvania Silverstar. The european version has about 350 more lumens. www.powerbulbs.com

·
4,994 Posts
LuvWool (now MOPar ) is one of our forum members. He lives here in Phoenix area, ( I am going to call it our clubs first mini meeting) The reason to mount them in the lower grill is that:

1. I like the look of the "extra Driving Lights"
2. I may want the fogs some day and plan on changing the bulbs in the Fogs to Yellow and make them true Fogs.
3. I did try the 9006 Osram silverstars (Stil have then unused in the box if anybody wants a deal) in the fog lamps the color did not match about 4150K I went to 9006's that were a right match at 4500K, but will now go to the "Yellow 9006"
4. I plan on changing the H3 in the Hellas to a higher color about 4500K as soon as I can find them.

GRIP :D

·
Registered
81 Posts
GripperDon said:
LuvWool is one of our forum members. He lives here in Phoenix area, ( I am going to call it our clubs first mini meeting) The reason to mount them in the lower grill is that:

1. I like the look of the "extra Driving Lights"
2. I may want the fogs some day and plan on changing the bulbs in the Fogs to Yellow and make them true Fogs.
3. I did try the 9006 Osram silverstars (Stil have then unused in the box if anybody wants a deal) in the fog lamps the color did not match about 4150K I went to 9006's that were a right match at 4500K, but will now go to the "Yellow 9006"
4. I plan on changing the H3 in the Hellas to a higher color about 4500K as soon as I can find them.

GRIP :D
will 5000k do?

http://www.supremepower.com/category/lighting/spplight.html

:D

There's also some ion-yellow fog bulbs there too.

the root site is www.supremepowerparts.com

·
4,994 Posts
YES DAVE THEY WILL THANKS

I'll order today. GRIP :D

·
Registered
281 Posts
driving lights

I just finished mounting the Hella's. Screwed to inner bumper.
If I knew how to attach a pic I would. I tried but it said too large.
224 meg.

·
4,994 Posts
May you could crop it a little or reduce the pixels per inch or resize it I would love to see and I bet many other also. Sure was nice to meet you yesterday. "GRIP :D

·
Registered
281 Posts
Trying again with pic.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 43 Posts