Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my MO SL AWD / halogen bulbs everywhere, I already order from proxenon the HID 9006 kit for my fog lights, Im costa rican and live in Costa Rica, just want to know if I made a mistake ordering this kit?, is it going to work at the fog lights?.

Any comments are welcome.

Hey I think I paid the higher price for any Murano here, in my country taxes are really high, for this SL AWD Leather, No Bose, no Sun roof, I paid $46K!!, thats why I dont want to spend more on wrongly items.

·
4,664 Posts
I've wondered the same thing... The fog lights are metal and glass, no plastic there, so they can handle the heat. I don't know what the pattern will look like and if there will be a lot of glare. It depends how the bulb gets postitioned to a certain extent.

If you do it, please post pictures. I'd love to see how it turns out.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
" The fog lights are metal and glass, no plastic there, so they can handle the heat. "

What heat?
I've never seen xenon bulbs that ran hot.
Is this something different?

Homer

·
hail 2 the snail
796 Posts
hfelknor said:
" The fog lights are metal and glass, no plastic there, so they can handle the heat. "

What heat?

Homer
the true xenon hids pull 35W only........ considerably cooler than oem, imo....

the issue is........ "do HID's work well in fog, and, ifso, are they gonna work mounted at sub-knee level?"

dunno really.........

·
Registered
443 Posts
If I read your original post correctly, it sounds like you do not have HID's as your main headlights. So, in this case, having true HID driving lights might give you better visibility. Just make sure they're aimed low enough so oncoming drivers aren't blinded... those driving lights don't really have the mechanism to 'aim' them light the mains.

Also, I can't imagine installing these without removing the bumper. Just swapping the bulbs from behind was a major chore on the pssgr. side. You will also need to install ballasts and modify the harness to fit. The stock wiring in the harness should be fine since the current draw is likely going to be less than stock (I'd double check this to make sure).

Post some pics!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I already ordered them, so I will picture all the procedure and I will post it here. due custom clearance and delivery to Costa Rica pls allow 2 weeks.

Thanks

·
Registered
275 Posts
It is true, the HID ballasts use less power, but on startup, they draw a higher "burst" of power than the normal lights. I had to upgrade the fuses +5A to keep them from blowing. I was not concerned about the current draw since the higher draw of power is not sustained long enough to heat up the wiring.

·
4,664 Posts
hfelknor said:

What heat?

Homer
Hey what do I know.... I don't have them! So it was a concern I had, but thanks for the update... That's good news!

I just remember the last light that I ran that had an arc, was rather warm. It pulled 150 amps through normal atmosphere and had carbon rods... Remember the old WWII searchlights? Well that was one of my summer jobs when I was a teen. Running one for special events. So my experience is a little twisted.

Perception now corrected!
:D

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
Putting HIDs into your fogs won't do much, since they are aimed so low, you won't get a large difference in overall visibility.

Note that they are fog lights (aimed low) and not driving lights (aimed high).

My suggestion if you really want good lighting is to get a good set of driving lamps, they can be concealed into the buttom grille so they will not stick out. A good set of pencil beam driving lights does wonders on dark deserted road.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your advice, I know what you are talking about, I have two Bosch reflectors (130w ea) which I used on my previously owned Pathfinder they were GREAT , but I dont think they will look nice with the MO.

Anyway I already paid for them and they are on the way, I will install them and let you know my final results.

Thanks

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, I received the set of After Market HID 9006 HB4, and installed them on my fog lights.

I feel very please with the results, I just raise the aimming 1 inch higher which seems to be OK, nobody asked me to turn them off by a glare, and the street is much clear than before.

Installation was pretty easy, just remove the covers inside the wheels and both Fog Lamps are just few inches away.

Check yourself...:2: :2:

Attachments

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
this pic was before, all halogen (headlights and fog lights)

I took the picture with my Digital Camera, of course it looks much darker than the real thing.

Attachments

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And now the final show....

Attachments

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We could raise the fogs higher but I think I can budder the front drivers. to be just a Plug and Play Installation the results are satisfactory.

BUT ONE THING THAT I FOUND, WHEN YOU TURN ON YOUR HIGHBEAM THE SYSTEM AUTOMATICALLY SHUT OFF YOUR FOG LIGHTS UNTIL YOU RETURN TO LOWBEAM AGAIN, FOR ME THIS CONFIGURATION MAKES NO SENSE SINCE THE FOG LIGHTS ARE AIMMING LOW.:confused:

·
Premium Member
8,402 Posts
mgarciah said:
We could raise the fogs higher but I think I can budder the front drivers. to be just a Plug and Play Installation the results are satisfactory.

BUT ONE THING THAT I FOUND, WHEN YOU TURN ON YOUR HIGHBEAM THE SYSTEM AUTOMATICALLY SHUT OFF YOUR FOG LIGHTS UNTIL YOU RETURN TO LOWBEAM AGAIN, FOR ME THIS CONFIGURATION MAKES NO SENSE SINCE THE FOG LIGHTS ARE AIMMING LOW.:confused:

This is the way it is on most cars. The reasoning is that fog lights are for foul weather driving, and when its foggy you wouldn't be using the high beams anyways.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
I would love to find a way to prevent the fogs from turning off with the highs... even better would be just to have them on with the parking lights. I couldn't find in the service manual an easier wiring mod to make this happen asside from optaining power from another source.

Has anyone been sucessful at this?

·
Registered
78 Posts
There is a web site for the Maximas WWW.MAXIMA.ORG. I know a few guys have done it and the wiring wasn't hard to do. The mechanics would be basicaly the same. Search the site for the instructions. It might help.... or give you some ideas how to make it work.. :D

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Now with the HID on the Fog Lights I even would like to turn on only the fogs instead of the low beams.

The problem here is that the Computer controls the relay which turns on the fog lights, a new whole wiring will be required to jump this settings.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
It works that way. If the headlight switch is off or parking, the fogs will be on.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts