Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hidden Antenna Install Question?!?!

Ok guys this is my first post. I love this forum. Ive been checking it out for some time while I was deciding to buy this car or not. I just picked up my new 04 SL Murano with Touring Pkg 2 days ago
:2: :2: :2: :2:. White with latte interior. I checked and it is prewired with XM harness.

.Is leeparts.com the cheapest place to get the kit for the 04? $378.00 is what they list it for.

Last question. I saw a member in NY (forgot his name right now) did the hidden antenna install. I couldent find pictures or anything about the skinny XM antenna he installed and how he did it????

Any help would be great!!!!!:)

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
If you are refering to this thread...

clikc here

the antenna was installed in the 3rd brake light housing.
Download the service manual if u have to. Iit is a pretty easy thing to find the 3rd black light compartment, there is this cover at the rear hatch that u can pop open.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks for the help....

But where can I download the service manual?

·
Registered
719 Posts
It'll cost you $20, but it's an all you can download in 24 hours deal, so if you want the manuals for say the 2003-2004 350z's, their yours for the same $20.

You definitely want to be on a broadband connection as your downloading thousands of pages per manual. Each manual is downloaded in sections (like 43 parts) for the Murano. Each part is a separate PDF file. Organize them in folders like 2003 Murano and you'll keep them all straight.

Your same login will also work over at the infiniti site as well if your interested in any of their products and how they work....

http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/nissan/default1.asp

http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/infiniti/

This is probably one of the coolest things that Nissan does, IMO.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hehe oh im going to have a field day with this... I'll do this on Sunday when I have time :)

Thanks for the insight :4:

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
quailallstar...please make sure let me know

how is the signal strength look/sound like when u install the antenna inside the 3rd brake light.
I am planning to move my xm antenna from the dash into the brake light housing also, but have been hesitating. Mainly because of the possible obstacle of the signal and hence degradation in xm reception.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok ill let you know how the install goes...but I'm a little confused where inside the 3rd brake light it goes...ill figure something out.

I never asked, but the people who have done this mod with the xm antenna use the turtle shell looking one? I saw a nice micro xm antenna that uses magnets to stay on the car. The only drawback I see in that antenna is that its a single connection xm antenna, but they make converters to make these antennas into two plug antennas (green/yellow).

-Michael

·
Just wanna help
1,403 Posts
Mike, sorry cant help u there on the micro antenna converter thingy...

I am using the xm roady radio and not the nissan oem sat kit like most ppl do in this group. The reaosn being is that i dont want to pay subscription on two xm units.
I want my xm to be able to be brought in to my office and in the evening, i listen to it at home.
So going aftermarket portable xm setup is my choice.

This xm roady has a micro antenna with magnetic base. Hence it will stick into the metal inside the 3rd brake light easily wihtout using extra adhesive/tape.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gotcha! Ill let you know what's up then. Ill take pics to.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
:2: :2: :2: YAHo0o0o0o0o Pictures.. Thanks...Im going to read that thread and save the pics. Cant wait to do all this..... ;)

Thanks
hfelknor
:)

·
4,664 Posts
You don't need to remove the antenna's cover, and I'd actually recommend you leave it on, to keep it protected. It still fits with it on.

One accidental hit, even a little bend, and you've just changed the performance of the antenna.:(

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah I remember when installing the XM in my passat how important it was not to bend the antenna wires or even drop the antenna. I have heard many storys of friends getting bad signals in the same part of town where I get great signal.

Also looks like i'll need to sand down that cover to have a flat surface to attatch the antenna to.

·
British Cat Juggler
147 Posts
I didn't sand down the hatch cover, I just stuck it on the inside "upside down" Works fine.

·
4,664 Posts
Upside down! Oh, OK, so you'd rather receive reflected signals instead of direct from the birds?

It does work better with the radome (the black plastic top part) facing up....

·
Premium Member
7,280 Posts
jaak said:
Upside down! Oh, OK, so you'd rather receive reflected signals instead of direct from the birds?

It does work better with the radome (the black plastic top part) facing up....
I was under the impression that you would have to have "Unobstructed" view of the sky for Sat and Microwave signalls to reach the antenna. How is it that this antenna works from inside the hatch?

·
Registered
719 Posts
The hatch door is plastic so there no measurable obstruction for the signal to pass.

The lack of a ground plane (the metal roof) is probably more of an important issue. The suggestion someone made I believe was to add a piece of metal (screen?) under the antenna inside the hatch to help with this issue.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Would laying down a/c duct aluminium tap under the antenna then put the antenna on top of that, you all think it will work?????? I'm willing to try it out and see if it works or if there is any difference with or without it. I can you let everyone know.

My part of Miami the only regular signal loss I get is when I go in a tunnel or underpass.

·
4,664 Posts
Miami! You're so far south, I wouldnt' worry about it... You've got tons of signal to work with! The further north you get, the more it can make a difference.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I don't have a ground plane under my SAT antenna, but I removed the plastic cover so it has a minimal about of plastic to try to receive signal through.

I have planned to install a piece of sheet metal the same shape as the access panel (a ground plane) under the SAT antenna; but since I have not had and reception challenges I can't seem to remember; or find time to do it....

1 - 20 of 51 Posts