Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone email me a picture of what the hidden hitch looks like.
And how much do you think a fair charge would be for a shop to put on for. I am a disabled vet, got about 8k in tools, but can't use many of em' anymore.

I searched this forum unside down and can't find a picture of a hidden hitch..

My email is [email protected]
Thanks,
Chez

·
59 Posts
Finally, here's a pic. Install was fairly simple, about 1-2 hours. It has a 1-1/4" receiver. It does hide the rear muffler nicely and the round tube looks better with the stickers off.

Attachments

·
59 Posts
Here's another view:

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Now I know what mine will look like. It as well as the window deflectors are in the garage waiting to be put on! I need to get it done.
Chez

PS I am glad I bought the wiring harness from Nissan, should save some trouble.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hidden Hitch

Hello Urbanis,
Did you do the install yourself? Was there any drilling, cutting, or swearing? It looks nice! I'm only looking to haul around skis 'n bikes and this hitch receiver would fit my Thule rack.
-S
(That's my MO on the home page)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Install was fairly simple, about 1-2 hours
I heard the Hidden Hitch is rather easy to install. Recommended to just drop the rear muffler to make it easier, can be done by loosening.
Other than that I heard it is rather cut and dry, just takes some time. Of course it will be faster for others and slower for some.
Luckily I can take it to a place with a lift and air tools (I have my own, no compressor though) and do it myself. Although I will chooose to have someone else do it just to not have to deal with it. Sometimes with a new vehicle, you just have to enjoy it.
Shouldn't be more than $50 or so $'s depending on the shop and where you live.

Chez

·
59 Posts
Attached is a copy of the instructions from the Hiddenhitch website. It was a simple bolt-on installation. You have to remove a tie-down bracket (used to ship the vehicle), and loosen some of the exhaust hangers. I found that if you lubricate the rubber exhaust hangers they will come apart and go back together easier. You will need metric wrenches/sockets. A torque wrench is recommended for the new bolts.

Attachments

·
4,664 Posts
I managed to put mine in, without dropping the muffler. If you don't mind deflecting the plastic bumper, just a little bit, you may be able to slide it in over the tailpipes. Worked for me, didn't work for others, so it' probably a tolerances thing...

Took off the stickers the day after I put on the hitch... Yeah, it's an old picture!

Attachments

·
Registered
418 Posts
Installed the Hidden Hitch last weekend....rather than "loosening" the muffler, it was so easy to remove muffler at the flange connection...bolting up the hitch and centring it was so easy.

PS ran the car with rear muffler off....exhaust was still perfectly quiet
....I'm not sure the rear muffler is required?

·
Registered
275 Posts
The irony, it is not "hidden" at all. It looks like a sore thumb to me.

It must be much less expensive and easier to install than the factory one.

·
NO-MO-SNOW
902 Posts
senza said:
PS ran the car with rear muffler off....exhaust was still perfectly quiet
....I'm not sure the rear muffler is required?
Interesting...wonder if that'd void the warranty?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Mattsmurano- personaly I prefer the look of the Hidden Hitch because it hides the bottom half of the rear muffler, which isn't particularly attractive.

·
4,664 Posts
The OEM hitch is hidden better, but then you have to look at the Muffler. (If that's what that is!) The OEM hitch is also part of the bumper, so it requires a fair bit of work to put it in, as you have to replace the bumper you have.

Here's what it looks like before the install.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
jaak, what's the best way to remove the labels from the hidden hitch? I don't have a torque wrench; what is the purpose of it? Couldn't I tighten the bolts securely with a regular wrench?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Hidden Hitch label removal - peel plastic covering off / spray with WD40....should come off easily after 30 min or so

The 12mm x 40mm hex bolts (6) should be tightened to 64 ft/lbs...the extra length of a torque wrench will give you the necessary leverage to reach this measurement....unless your as strong as "Arnold" (before he was Governator)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hide the muffler with something more obvious? It is just a matter of personal preference. It is good to have choices. It enables up to be indivudials. I had a hidden hitch on my Jeep. It was nice.

·
4,664 Posts
Yeah, if you're doing it yourself, get a torque wrench. They're not that expensive really, as long as you don't go for a fancy one. You wouldn't want to have the bolts fall out!

As far as the labels, I sprayed them off at the local do it yourself car wash. Took about 5 seconds each.:D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Chezman29 said:
Can someone email me a picture of what the hidden hitch looks like.
And how much do you think a fair charge would be for a shop to put on for. I am a disabled vet, got about 8k in tools, but can't use many of em' anymore.

I searched this forum unside down and can't find a picture of a hidden hitch..

My email is [email protected]
Thanks,
Chez
#1 Thanks for your Military Service!!!
#2 I have a 2006 Murano and am pretty settled on the Hidden Hitch. I'd like to know where to buy/order on line.
#3 I have a VERY small (16') boat...where can I find the weight capacity of the HH?
#4 Is the concensus to just get the wiring harness from Nissan...part#?

Great site!
Tom

·
Registered
392 Posts
Re: Re: Hidden hitch picture can some email me

Tomcat said:

#1 Thanks for your Military Service!!!
#2 I have a 2006 Murano and am pretty settled on the Hidden Hitch. I'd like to know where to buy/order on line.
#3 I have a VERY small (16') boat...where can I find the weight capacity of the HH?
#4 Is the concensus to just get the wiring harness from Nissan...part#?

Great site!
Tom
Tomcat,

According to the "install pdf" on page 1 of this, the max trailer weight is 3,500 pounds with max tongue weight at 300 pounds.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Hidden hitch picture can some email me

sawasan said:

Tomcat,

According to the "install pdf" on page 1 of this, the max trailer weight is 3,500 pounds with max tongue weight at 300 pounds.
Crap...hiding in plain sight!
Had it been a Mig, I'd be dead!
Tom

1 - 20 of 25 Posts