Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to thank everyone on the forums for providing great information. I have an 04 MO and wanted to add towing capability. After reading the messages on the forum, I decided to go with a Hidden Hitch and OEM wiring harness. The messages from mgarciah and mackmurr were especially helpful.

First I installed the OEM wiring harness as instructed except for the exterior harness. This was not hard except for removing the panels to get to the proper connections.

Then I installed the hidden hitch per the instructions that come with the hitch. They were great including the hints to use the bracket in front of the muffler as a hanger whild installing the hitch.

Now for the customizing. I combined mgarciah's and mackmurr's ideas for attaching the wiring to the hitch. As mackmurr recommended I attached clips C and D into the exterior harness bracket, bent the bracket slightly to allow clib D to fit, and them used the last mounting hole and the middle bolt of the hidden hitch to attach the bracket. Keep in mind that you need to thread the external harness through the front gap in the hidden hitch before tightening. SEE PICTURE

Then I connected the external harness to the exterior harness bracket. Using mgarciah's idea I attached the trailer end to the tube on the hidden hitchwith black zip ties. I placed a piece of solid rubber between the nounting bracket and the tube to keep it from moving. Then it is a simple matter of using zip ties to keep the wiring behind the tube. SEE PICTURES

Attachments

·
Registered
844 Posts
Hiden hitch wiring

To all Canadian Mo owners
Be advised that the trailer wiring harness that comes from Nissan is not the same that is issued to our American cousins. For what ever reason the kit that is issued up here is a kit that you are required to cut into the electrical wiring.

I bought the kit from Nissan after reading up on the wiring harness that is issued in the U.S. and when I call the dealer, he could not even find the kit number that I supplied from this website. The dealer had it down fro 2 hours of labour to install it, as I was in a rush I got them to do it. It took the mechanic 3 hours to install it, so I felt a lot better for my decision.

The partsman at Nissan said that the parts diffenece is not new as he gets calls from the states dealers about a connection kit that they need to refill the A/C system as this system needs to be drained when you replace the alternator ( which is at a failure rate of 30% at this time)

No engineer worth his salt would organize a part system for two different halves of one continent, it must have been the work of a mad bean counter (just joking)

I wish someone would recognize that just because there are two great countries on the same continent driving the same vehciles that we can share the same parts instead of having two different systems.

:11: :11:

·
Registered
418 Posts
Stoker - I had the same problem....expecting plug in connectors and now faced with cutting in to wires....what's up with the long red wire that is supposed to be connected directly to "+" on the battery?
What did your Nissan dealer charge?..Thanks.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Hidden hitch wiring

Sensa
I don't know what he did with the red wire as it is not connected to my battery. This may have been for a charging line to the battery on the trailer, but if it is it was never hooked up.

To keep my battery on my trailer powered up I will probably get a solar cell from Canadian Tire for $30 to keep my battery up. I just got back from B.C. where it was dry and hot ( 34C), golf before noon.

The dealer cost to install was $275.00 flat rate, but as I mentioned before, the mechanic lost on that one. I did try hitch shops but they refused to do it as they have had no luck in doing the wiring on the Mo, as they get computer alarms that need to be reset at the dealership.:D

·
Registered
2 Posts
External Bracket

I see where you attached the external bracket. Do you know where the instructions indicate that this is to be attached. The instructions state "mount to the vehicle", but I can't tell where from the picture. Any ideas?
Thanks.

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you're using the factory wiring harness, it tells you to attach the metal mount to the hitch body itself on the assumption that you're using the factory hitch, which has holes to mount it to. If you're not using the factory hitch, you can pretty much put it wherever you want to. The way I did the wiring, I didn't need the plate. I actually went a slightly different route with my wiring harness, I went through the rear-most notch in the hitch, then zip-tied the wiring harness to the hitch side and then the hitch bar itself, then used two zip ties to attach the plug mount to the hitch. By using the notch towards the back of the truck, there was enough slack to put the plug mount right next to the receiver itself, so there will be less wiring hanging loose from the trailer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts