Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK with all these SAT postings can you tell who is finally getting SAT?

I have read posts about installing the SAT Ant in the hatch with the third brake light. I understand that I need a grounding plane.

I was wondering how big of a piece of metal should I use and if anyone had any pictures of this type of antenna installaton.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
Gonzo,

I don't have the OEM SAT but the antenna part should be the same. I bought an aftermarket unit that came with a reciever the size of a laptop mouse. I glued in a piece of galvanized steel I had in my garage (about 4.5 or 5 inch by 6 inch) that fit nicely on the little plastic cover under the third brake light and just put the receiver in the center of it (it has a magnet). No pics but I can take some when I go home tonight.

To add (eventhough you did not ask!) I took the plastic plug cover off the tip of the receiver cable and fed it through the right side rubber boot that holds the water line to the rear wiper. Put the plastic plug back on, routed the wire behind the trim, and I was in business. I have excellent reception, although I have only the test channel. I am still waiting to hear about a good deal from XM to activate mine. At some point they had a $83 per year with no activation charge. Hope they offer it again.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see sounds like a good install. Good pictures would be helpful... closeups and panned out a little.

Thanks.

·
4,601 Posts
Even aluminum screen or foil would be good enough... The ground plane just helps your gain a little when you're further north, or trying to receive from terrestrial repeaters.

Of course, you have to remember, that it's like seeing the sun. If something's in the way, like a large building, and there's nothing to reflect it or repeat the signal, even the ground plane won't help!

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
This is what my hidden SAT antenna looks like

Edit: Sorry, the picture came out much bigger than I thought. The white stuff you see is double faced foam tape I used to attach the plate.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just installed mine two days ago. Grubbs sent me the wrong antenna. Ordered the mini roof mount so I could do the hidden install. They sent me the window mount antenna. Turns out I like the window mount better because it mounts onto the "roof" of the third brake light instead of the pannel that pulls off. I put a roughly 5x7 inch piece of metal under it and have no problems with reception in the chicago area. Even got reception with no interuptions while driving thru a severe thunder storm earlier this evening. I like the window mount antenna better because it mounts on the roof of the brake light compartment instead of the cover plate. It is a bit higher just in case of interfearance from the body of the Mo.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the picture... it helps me plan my install.

chgopolice, any pictures from your install?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I just moved my antenna from the roof into this rear brake light panel but instead of configuring a metal plate as the picture shows I just attached it to the underside of the body sheetmetal. Works great.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Gently pry open the top brake light access panel on the rear hatch and you will have access to a small section of sheetmetal. Just stick the magnetic antenna to the metal and it should work fine.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I see but now I understand... no sheetmetal, the cover is platic.

Thanks I planned on using that and putting metal on the inside of that cover for a grounding plane.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You are correct that there is no sheet metal on the cover but you can attach the antenna to the sheet metal inside the opening. For me the reception is excellent and as good as when the antenna was on the roof top.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I see you mounted the antenna's top housing to the inside of the hatch. Again there is no sheet metal there... the hatch is all plastic but I get what you mean.

If you got a picture, others might be interested.

·
Registered
11 Posts
What I did was to velcro the antenna to the top of the brake light housing and line the access door with foil.

I carefully removed the left rubber boot and fed the wire through the boot. no cutting needed.

Reception is excellent.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts