Nissan Murano Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
We had a flat tire today on our OEM 18-inch rim with a factory tire. We mounted the spare tire, which is a giant doughnut factory light. After a short bit of driving going over 40mph (1min of driving), we got a "high-temperature AWD stop vehicle" on the dash. We stopped the car, waiting for the message to disappear and ended up limping the car to Costco to get the full-size tire repaired. And all was good after that.

In research, the slight difference in diameter causes the AWD to activate and overheat the differential when driving at or above 40mph.

I wish Nissan would allow you to turn AWD off so that if you are using the spare or there is a failure in the system, you can shut it off. This made a simple flat tire situation much more difficult.

I have read that people have used the factory doughnut spare without an issue, but if the treadwear is different, expect to see this same warning message and limp your car home.

I have purchased a factory full-size spare and a used tire with some wear to hopefully be a middle ground not to let this happen again.

I will also now change the differential fluid as a precaution since I do not know the overheating damage to the liquid.

· The Phone Booth Fanatic
1,179 Posts
I've always thought that the small spare was the same circumference as the other four full-sized tires. Did the spare ever get switched or are you running non-standard sized tires. You should have no problem running with the "correct" spare. Keep us updated on this.

Take care!

Jim

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OEM 18 inch rim.
OEM Tire- Toyo Open Country A25A 235/65r18
OEM large diameter doughnut spare that matches rolling diameter.

I will measure the tread wear on the tires to figure out what the actual diameter difference was that created this.
I found this in another thread....
"What I found out was that the AWD system allows for up to 3/32" of tread difference between tires before the AWD clutch will kick in. So, if I'm understanding it right, you could never put on a new tire after the tread is down past 7/32"."

· Registered
818 Posts
Perhaps the spare was not fully inflated and its diameter was therefore reduced below minimum; the spare contains much less air volume and must be inflated to 60 PSI. I always carry a 12V tire pump in my trunk for both the vehicle and my bike (with Presta adapter) or for any friend in need of it.

· The Phone Booth Fanatic
1,179 Posts
I know on my old 2009 LE, I had gotten a side puncture on one of my tires and ended up having to purchase a set of four new tires because the of the tread wear.

Take care!

Jim

· Registered
2,473 Posts
That is the curse of AWD vehicles. Most folks are just as well served with a FWD vehicle. They are cheaper to buy, cheaper to operate, and cheaper to repair. And, you can run 2 snow tires and go just about anywhere an AWD car with all season radials will go.

Says the man with 2 AWD vehicles...

· Administrator
10,098 Posts
That is the curse of AWD vehicles. Most folks are just as well served with a FWD vehicle. They are cheaper to buy, cheaper to operate, and cheaper to repair. And, you can run 2 snow tires and go just about anywhere an AWD car with all season radials will go.

Says the man with 2 AWD vehicles...
HALWG is right on target. The same concerns apply to all BMWs with X-drive, and in fact, all other AWD systems where you can't disconnect the front and rear. You will get different information from different sources about how much difference in diameter is acceptable.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found a maintenance manual that states when you get this message, the AWD system becomes disabled. So the only reason you need to pull over is to let the rear diff cool down faster and have AWD protection back.

So, it sounds like it's ok to keep driving the car with that warning, the system protected itself.

I changed both the rear diff and front transfer case fluids. Rear looked nice and new, no bad smells. The front was very dark and typically stinky fluid.

We have 45,000 miles on the car. Still love it.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
From the maintenance manual:

AWD system activates its protection function (shuts down AWD system temporarily) if AWD system detects
high load continuously or the front wheel tire size differs from the rear tire size. (AWD system is automatically
restored if AWD system no longer detects any overload or the tire size difference is eliminated.)

· Registered
174 Posts
And, you can run 2 snow tires and go just about anywhere an AWD car with all season radials will go.
Never, never mount only two winter tires on any vehicle.

Many think that if you mount winter tires on only the driven wheels, you will be fine. NOT!

People have a false sense of security and drive with less caution than they should when
snow tires are mounted on just the driven wheels, however, cornering and breaking are compromised with only 2 winter tires.

Spend the money for winters at every corner and drive with security

· Administrator
10,098 Posts
Agree with KBrian. Having different traction on each end of the car is a great way to get into a 180-360 degree spin if you have to nail the brakes, even in a car with ABS.

We used to drive RWD cars all the time with snows only on the back, and that worked OK, but the front end loses grip before the rear end. Snows on all four work better, and remember that it's awfully easy to end up with different diameter tires on front and rear in an AWD vehicle if you only run snows on one axle. Transfer cases get expensive.

· Registered
2 Posts
2015 Nissan Murano Platinum AWD

This just happened to me yesterday. Our car has 36,850 miles on it, and the front tire blew out yesterday 1/4 of a mile from my driveway. After changing the tire and putting on the donut (only had 37 PSI out of 60 PSI), I began heading to Les Schwab which is 2.5 miles away from where I changed the tire. Half way there the "AWD HOT, Stop vehicle" warning light came on. I pulled over, shut the vehicle off, turned it back on and then drove slow the rest of the way to Les Schwab. $1,300 dollars and 3 hours later (had to change all 4 tires) I drove home. If this had been on a trip away from home out on an interstate, cant begin to think what we would have done. Just seems to me that 36,850 miles is ridiculous for a tire to give out. The OEM tire tread didn't even look worn. We have always rotated these tires every 7500 miles too. I agree that Nissan should put a switch on the dash to temporarily disable AWD when the spare tire donut is on the vehicle.

· Registered
1 Posts
We had a flat tire today on our oem 18 inch rim with factory tire. We mounted the spare tire which is a large doughnut factory spare. After a short bit of driving going over 40mph (1min of driving) we got "high temperature AWD stop vehicle" on the dash. We stopped the car, waiting for the message to disapear and ended up limping the car to costco to get the full size tire repaired. And all was good after that.

In researching, the small difference in diamater causes the AWD to activate and over heat the differential when driving at or above 40mph.

I really wish nissan would allow you to turn AWD off so if you are using the spare, or there is a failure in the system, you could shut it off. This made a simple flat tire situation much more difficult.

I have read that people have used the factory doughnut spare without an issue, but if the treadwear is different, expect to see this same warning message and limp your car home.

I have purchased a factory fullsize spare and a used tire with some wear to hopefully be a middle ground to not let this happen again.

I will also now change the differential fluid as a precaution since I do not know the overheat damage to the fluid.
I have a 2017 Rogue, took in for oil change and rotate tires on Friday drove all day Saturday and Sunday my car had a flat 20+ miles away from home- put the factory donut tire on and 2 miles from home I got the same message. We stopped once before getting home. On Monday Road side asst picked it up and the same situation. They told me the tire needed to be replaced and I've been told it will probably be ok. I haven't heard back yet, but wanted to check reviews to see if this is legit. Must be since you didn't take yours to service.

· Registered
8 Posts
We had a flat tire today on our oem 18 inch rim with factory tire. We mounted the spare tire which is a large doughnut factory spare. After a short bit of driving going over 40mph (1min of driving) we got "high temperature AWD stop vehicle" on the dash. We stopped the car, waiting for the message to disapear and ended up limping the car to costco to get the full size tire repaired. And all was good after that.

In researching, the small difference in diamater causes the AWD to activate and over heat the differential when driving at or above 40mph.

I really wish nissan would allow you to turn AWD off so if you are using the spare, or there is a failure in the system, you could shut it off. This made a simple flat tire situation much more difficult.

I have purchased a factory fullsize spare and a used tire with some wear to hopefully be a middle ground to not let this happen again.

I will also now change the differential fluid as a precaution since I do not know the overheat damage to the fluid.
While not a Murano owner (Altima), I had the exact same problem today. I had a blow out, put the donut on, and went to the dealer. The new tire was ordered and drove home on the donut. I could not go above 30 without that AWD Overheat warning appearing. To be safe, I kept the car at 25 all the way home. This is my 4th AWD car and I've never had an Overheat Warning come on before when on a donut.

· Registered
3,562 Posts
While not a Murano owner (Altima), I had the exact same problem today. I had a blow out, put the donut on, and went to the dealer. The new tire was ordered and drove home on the donut. I could not go above 30 without that AWD Overheat warning appearing. To be safe, I kept the car at 25 all the way home. This is my 4th AWD car and I've never had an Overheat Warning come on before when on a donut.
Was the donut on the front or rear?

· Administrator
10,098 Posts
Good for you! Too many drivers would pay no attention and would have screwed up their AWD.

· Registered
3,562 Posts
Front driver's side. I hit a pothole in a parking lot that split the side of the tire. After I hit the hole, someone decided to put a traffic cone in it so others would avoid it. Timing is everything.
That's good to know. It was felt that if maybe the donut was placed on a front axle the AWD system would be less prone to have issues... Your situation is suggests it may make no difference whether used on the front or rear...

Reactions: PaulDay

· Registered
8 Posts
That's good to know. It was felt that if maybe the donut was placed on a front axle the AWD system would be less prone to have issues... Your situation is suggests it may make no difference whether used on the front or rear...
I think the Nissan system is primarily front wheel drive and sends more power to the rear when needed. I was wondering if putting the donut on the front was the problem.

Tomorrow I have to take the car 5 miles to the dealer for the new tire. I hope I don't screw up the AWD system. I am going to talk to the service tech tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts