Nissan Murano Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the 05 into the dealer today for a pull to the right and EXCESSIVE road noise.

They had it aligned, rotated and balanced the tires all at no charge. Everything seems and sounds fine now.

HOWEVER.....

On the way back to the office I was running through the maintenance checks on the HUD and noticed my tires were at 38 lbs each. I called them up and they said that was the only way to eliminate the road noise and It wouldn't cause any premature wearing. Hmmm.... It works!?!?

What do you think the long term effects if any will be on the tires? With the cost of these puppies making them last as long as possible is going to be an issue. It seems like a quick fix for the dealer but Im the one who will need to get tires for it at some point.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Overinflation gets the edges off the road; reduces noise, but increases center wear and would have to affect handling adversely.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Well, remember when Ford was having "trouble' with Firestone tires?
ONE of the things found was that Ford had recommended (On the door plate) that they run their SUVs with a setting in the 20s. Very comfy. (Very unsafe).

Well I think Nissan has done the same thing, although not to the degree of Ford.
I think they have recommended a nice safe, but very comfy 33 pounds.
I have been moving my Tire Pressure up for the last year.
I am now at 36 pounds.
Sure enough it is a stiffer ride.
But I have faster turn in (by a bunch) and while I have taken about a year to get to this point from 33, I have noticed no unusual wear after about 4 months at 36. I may stop here since this really feels good. But OTOH I may move to 37 just to check it out. And then........?

There IS no exactly correct tire pressure.
But of course you can overdue it as Ford did, or you could go too far as ekaxel warns.
but there IS a range.

Unfortunately, the biggest design snafu of the Murano (IMO) IS the road noise.
Apparently no sound deadening is used at all.

Homer

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm currently at 36 all around. No complaints. Since I was driving rental cars all last month (business...nothing wrong with MO) I couldn't wait to get back to the Nissan. Higher pressure means tighter handling with an increase in harshness but not too bad. Had an Impala and a Camry (4cyl) as rentals. Bored to tears with both.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Nissan vs Ford - No cvomparison really:
1 These aren't Firestone tires
2. Murano suspension, steering, handling vs Explorer - Apples & Oranges

So IMHO, I don't think "overinflation" is the answer/issue.

I personally have run my GY @ 33psi for 31000 miles, still have 6-7/32" left. I am more than satisfied with these OEM tires, although they are getting noisier and harder (the rubber compound). I feel that they should be replaced soon, rather than when they wear out.

When I put my soft compound snows on, everything gets better - noise, handling and traction.

·
Premium Member
7,136 Posts
I have been running on 38 cold almost since I bought it a year ago (which goes down to 36 over time before I put more air back in) and I am very satisfied with the tire wear. It looks even and I have lots of thread left at 30k miles. A little rougher ride though...:)

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Yep, I keep mine up between 36-38. I do drive the heck outta her and she does prefer her tires tight.
:D

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I pulled them down to 36 (cold) and they seem to peak out at 38 on the freeway.

I don't see much of a difference in road noise but the handling seems a tad bit sluggish (Heavy) in comparison.

Im going to play with the pressure over the next month or so. I have access to a DB meter so I may get anal and do some testing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts